Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
10 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Thought we would with a minimum of 25C in parts of London and Kent but it fell to 23.5C by the last minute.

Food for thought though between 1961 and 1985 I believe there were about six tropical nights. This year alone there have been 16. 

What happened after 1985?

Well another day another dollar, BBC last night showed storms coming in the central south this moment, they are actually in the south east, also developments again in the south west favouring Devon and Cornwall in the next few hours. Mean while here its blue skies currently and I'm interested to see what happens with the heat today. Arpege pushes some 33/34's down this way, given the flow is so slack I don't see us getting much past 28-30C before a sea breeze kicks in (as per usual) .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

no surprise sea fret to start, sunny from the word go seems not possible if it's an E'ly wind

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

Some wonderfully warm evenings here and some genuinely hot days have somewhat pulled this summer up from being abysmal to meh.

The absolute lack of storms though has made the period April 2018 until now the most boring spell of weather I can recall. 

Convection just doesn’t happen in my location anymore. Something happened in April 2018 which disabled convection of any sort occurring within northern Hampshire. 
A similar thing happened between 2007-2013 but at least in that period you might see the odd CB/shower cloud at least with a bit of structure, even if you didn’t get much thunder. 
For the last two years it’s been either slate grey sky, fair weather cumulus, or unbroken sunshine. 
It’s very strange - even showers/storms that are rooted above the boundary layer and so not affected by the cooler channel when crossing from Northern France seem to just randomly fizzle out when reaching the Hampshire coast.

I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if this record breaking heat goes out with nothing but a bit of drizzle and I don’t see or hear a single flash or bang.

Bit of cloud to clear through west London shortly but Heathrow is well up on temps verses yesterday, I can see it taking a run at 38C today.

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
10 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Bit of cloud to clear through west London shortly but Heathrow is well up on temps verses yesterday, I can see it taking a run at 38C today.

Possible if the cloud keeps away! A lot more cloud and shower activity around here than forecast, with a bit of rain likely in the next couple of hours. Might put a bit of a lid on maxima here after 34c yesterday....but should still see 30c plus if it clears through quick enough.

Posted
40 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Well another day another dollar, BBC last night showed storms coming in the central south this moment, they are actually in the south east, also developments again in the south west favouring Devon and Cornwall in the next few hours. Mean while here its blue skies currently and I'm interested to see what happens with the heat today. Arpege pushes some 33/34's down this way, given the flow is so slack I don't see us getting much past 28-30C before a sea breeze kicks in (as per usual) .

No storms in London.

Two more days to see whether we get anything. 

Posted

Probably the hottest start to the day yet in this part of the Solent, temperatures already 25-27C through SE Hampshire and Sussex.

Top of my watchlist today:

- How high will Heathrow go? Can it get to 100F for the second time in the year?

- How big will the thunderstorms get further N and W?

- Following ARPEGE's run from yesterday, will @Alderc actually see 36C in Bournemouth? ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

30-31C should be possible today and tomorrow here, depending on shower activity. About time.

Edited by cheese

10 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Probably the hottest start to the day yet in this part of the Solent, temperatures already 25-27C through SE Hampshire and Sussex.

Top of my watchlist today:

- How high will Heathrow go? Can it get to 100F for the second time in the year?

- How big will the thunderstorms get further N and W?

- Following ARPEGE's run from yesterday, will @Alderc actually see 36C in Bournemouth? ;)

Well given the station record for Hurn is 34.1C, and Saturday's 32.9C was the hottest in 14years I just dont see it, its certainly massively warmer here this morning but as mentioned above I suspect a fully raging sea breeze will set today.  

Nothing to see here, 23C with just a 21C dew point. Air is like soup.....

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Heathrow is 4C ahead of this time yesterday. 9am yesterday was 21.8C, it's currently 25.8C.

As an aside, I'm highly dubious of the 35.5 yesterday. It was flatlining at 34C for a couple of hours, and then one random ob at 5pm shot up to 35.5, before dropping back to 34C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Warmer morning today and we actually have sunshine! If today is anything like Saturday then we should be able to return to 30C this afternoon at least.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Those thunderstorms over the SE are just to the east of me, but we’ve got some of the cloud hangover at the moment. Looks like it’ll clear very soon and then it’ll be another scorching day....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
28 minutes ago, danm said:

Those thunderstorms over the SE are just to the east of me, but we’ve got some of the cloud hangover at the moment. Looks like it’ll clear very soon and then it’ll be another scorching day....

Got the clag and drizzly rain overhead here now, and with a bit more heading my way, doubt we will see 34c like yesterday. 24c and very humid at 75%  

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Got the clag and drizzly rain overhead here now, and with a bit more heading my way, doubt we will see 34c like yesterday. 24c and very humid at 75%  

Cloud has cleared now and that hot sun is beating down.

Getting used to this now...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

28.3C at Herstmonceux at 09:40, toasty!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: You can always put a jumper on.

Hello all,

I'm brand new here and had no idea where to post my first post, so I chose this thread! Thank you for letting me join.

I have a lot to learn about the science but have always been an avid observer of the weather and this recent spell has led me here and compelled me to join. I am located in Maidenhead in the Thames Valley, which is about 12 miles West of Heathrow and I swear if there was an official weather station here it would up there! It has been obscenely hot here for the last week or so with no respite, hardly any cloud, little to no rain and certainly no thunder.

An important question;

The 'cone of silence' and the triangle (or something, something of something) where no storms happen, where are they and what areas do they cover? I don't think I'm located in it/them as I've heard some thunder this year.

I've currently only got a basic digital max/min (shaded) thermometer so will be reading up on possibly getting some better kit. The very basic weather stats for me so far this year are:

Max 38.8c

Min -1.2c

And sat here now typing this 29.9c (at 10:19am on 11/08/20)

Probably a bit of a micro climate thing going on in the garden!

When will the furnace be switched off.......

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
36 minutes ago, Colin_P said:

Hello all,

I'm brand new here and had no idea where to post my first post, so I chose this thread! Thank you for letting me join.

I have a lot to learn about the science but have always been an avid observer of the weather and this recent spell has led me here and compelled me to join. I am located in Maidenhead in the Thames Valley, which is about 12 miles West of Heathrow and I swear if there was an official weather station here it would up there! It has been obscenely hot here for the last week or so with no respite, hardly any cloud, little to no rain and certainly no thunder.

An important question;

The 'cone of silence' and the triangle (or something, something of something) where no storms happen, where are they and what areas do they cover? I don't think I'm located in it/them as I've heard some thunder this year.

I've currently only got a basic digital max/min (shaded) thermometer so will be reading up on possibly getting some better kit. The very basic weather stats for me so far this year are:

Max 38.8c

Min -1.2c

And sat here now typing this 29.9c (at 10:19am on 11/08/20)

Probably a bit of a micro climate thing going on in the garden!

When will the furnace be switched off.......

Hi welcome to the forum.

it certainly is boiling down in the south-east, and no doubt lots of people are suffering with the heat at the moment. I’m kind of glad I’m living up in Northwest England where it’s much cooler, though it has been mostly cloudy the last few days, with temperatures in the low to mid 20s.

let’s hope it cools down for you guys soon and you get a big thunderstorm.

Had lots of flashes last night but no thunder, very strange. Forecast to reach the high 20s here today but it will be humid and probably mostly cloudy, not my ideal kind of weather.

Posted

Gatwick at 30c, Heathrow at 29c. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

no surprise sea fret to start, sunny from the word go seems not possible if it's an E'ly wind

Can but cant believe it! - last place where fret is hanging on in England, drives me nuts! Only just brightening now!

Posted

30 here now, but laughing at meto and bbc forecast for my location both way out, I’m finding arpege most accurate with temperatures right now so I’m ignoring bbc and metoffice short term 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

28c here with 60% humidity, feelings sweaty in the sun

Posted

@Colin_P welcome! 

I'm not much good at thunderstorms, but have you found the storms thread? Someone will be able to help in there.

Keep us posted on your temperatures today - I'm starting to think your area could exceed 100F for the second time in a year, never been done before of course!