Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

So shoreham airport reached over 33°c yesterday (I think thats the record for here never even reached that in 2003 & 2006 heatwaves! plus were having multiple days at 30 °c or more another great summer! 

Edited by JK1

9 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Almost 3° higher than this time yesterday & Saturday.

Yes much warmer this morning, do you have the bits and pieces of low cloud moving south west? Also just looking at the flow on XC I think there's a much high chance of a proper sea breeze kicking in today.

Posted

Broadly temperatures in the SE at similar levels to Friday but with less threat of mid level cloud, at least for now, though there is a weak convective mass over France slowly edging up but I don't think that is much of a risk.

Again a top 5 hottest day is definitely a possibility, especially with another 3 days of heating the ground/drying out over France and SE England.

Very hazy here now, sun almost gone and breeze is about to go on-shore. Despite being at 27C seems unlikely we'll our 4th straight 30C. 

Posted
14 hours ago, cheese said:

Looks like we could reach 30C on Wednesday after all. If we do, that’s the second summer in a row where all three months exceed 30C. Before last year, that last happened in 1995.

Anyway, today was nice once the sea murk cleared. High of 22C. Pretty average temperature for the time of year. Next few days will be very humid by the looks of it.

You can get summers where 30c is exceeded in all three summer months, but not taking into account the longer periods of unsettled or cloudy and cooler weather in between. Case in point, summer 2020 has still been a predominately poor one. The last couple of weeks has been proper summer, but before that it was pretty dismal, even by SE standards, and from what I’m reading on here, many are still having to put up with poor conditions further north. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

You can get summers where 30c is exceeded in all three summer months, but not taking into account the longer periods of unsettled or cloudy and cooler weather in between. Case in point, summer 2020 has still been a predominately poor one. The last couple of weeks has been proper summer, but before that it was pretty dismal, even by SE standards, and from what I’m reading on here, many are still having to put up with poor conditions further north. 

Only redeeming factor for me this summer is that we've had a proper hot spell in August.  Last time temperature's exceeded 36C in the UK in August was 2003 (I was only 3 at the time) and I have no memory of that spell of weather.  The last few years it seems have been predominantely front-loaded summers. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It is also a fact that we all have tendency to be either glass half full or glass half empty in our atttude to the weather!

Posted
1 minute ago, Earthshine said:

Only redeeming factor for me this summer is that we've had a proper hot spell in August.  Last time temperature's exceeded 36C in the UK in August was 2003 (I was only 3 at the time) and I have no memory of that spell of weather.  The last few years it seems have been predominantely front-loaded summers. 

I was 7 and I remember sitting out in a field in the school holidays in it. Exceptional heat 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I remember coming back from a holiday in Mallorca on August 08th and the weather here was essentially as it was there. Quite different to what we left the UK in two weeks before! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
11 hours ago, danm said:

I’ve almost forgotten what a cold breeze feels like, the heat down here in the SE is that oppressive. 

A classic case of “the grass is greener on the other side“ with the weather!

Posted
3 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

It is also a fact that we all have tendency to be either glass half full or glass half empty in our atttude to the weather!

Very true!

Being sat on a bus in 35c heat...

or, sat by a pool with glass in hand....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, GeordieX9v said:

I was 7 and I remember sitting out in a field in the school holidays in it. Exceptional heat 

I was 16 and enjoying my final summer before sixth form + getting my GCSE results. I believe the max temperature here was 32C during the August 03 spell. We’ve exceeded that a fair few times in the past 5 years.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
25 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Of course. We reached 33C in July 2015 but that summer was very mediocre on the whole.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Temperatures crashed here in Bournemouth, fallen from 28C to 24C in 20mins. No more temp watching today.....

I assume the sea breeze has arrived?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Stuck at 22C with complete cloud cover. What a complete fail this spell of weather is.

1 minute ago, johnholmes said:

I assume the sea breeze has arrived?

Oh yes big time, feels almost cold. The quick flip to a southerly has made not just the temps dramatically fall but has very quickly replaced the dry, earthy smell with seaweed, salty smells. Fascinating.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Oh yes big time, feels almost cold. The quick flip to a southerly has made not just the temps dramatically fall but has very quickly replaced the dry, earthy smell with seaweed, salty smells. Fascinating.   

No sea breeze here. Wind still from the Eastern quadrant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Yes I noticed the change in smell here not long ago and like you’ve said it feels much cooler now despite the fact that here the temperature only dropped from 25°C to 23°C. 

8 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Stuck at 22C with complete cloud cover. What a complete fail this spell of weather is.

Maybe for you. The spell has been blistering in the inland se in a way only 1976 or 2003 has been before. Avoid sweeping statements