Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

It was an absolutely sweltering day in London. 36 degrees, very little breeze. Scorching. I even ventured onto the tube this evening for the first time in 5 months and found a bustling, busy Kings Cross with every restaurant and bar full to the brim, plus many people sat by the canal. 

I do enjoy the heat, but I have to admit it becomes horrible inside the house without air conditioning. With several consecutive days with this heat it’s going to be interesting.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Typhoon John said:

Plenty consumed and more ready to go! Sat out in shorts t-shirt, barefoot and it still feels warm

Yeah, same here!  No chance of sleep just yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Absolute hell for me this weather is. Fat chance of much sleep and may have to sit in the doorstep although no breeze to speak of. Just stepped out of the shower for the second or is it third time today. 36c is unbearable even after acclimatising. Someone is letting off fireworks now Roll on autumn!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
8 minutes ago, ThundersnowDays said:

Is this minimum temperature measured from midnight to midnight or dusk till dawn?

9am - 9am.

• Like 1

Posted

I should add to the above.. it's my biggest mistake of owning an automated weather station..

I record midnight - midnight on my weather software, but it does have an option for 9am - 9am. But once I had started it, there was no point in changing it as it would cause issues with my current data. 

The highest minimum temp is the problem with a 12am - 12am rollover. For example, my record is 18.3°C, lets say it doesn't get below 19°C all night before going back up daylight hours. However, the temp then gets down to 18.2°C just before midnight on the same day, I don't beat my record. The 9am - 9am rollover stops that from happening. I could manually enter it in to the software, but then it defeats the object of automated software. I'd also have to go back through all of the data to adjust it. I just accepted it in the end and left it as it was.

I can't beat the record today as it's already down to 17.9°C.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Same for me and if I was recording 9am-9am I would almost certainly have broken my highest minimum record of 18.9°C. As it is I still might as it's currently 20.5°C and there's a chance it won't drop below 20°C until after midnight tomorrow night if it does at all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

17.6°C is my ‘highest minima’, recorded on 24/7/19..

it is currently 18.4°C so not sure I’ll beat that if it keeps dropping, albeit slowly 

Posted

Yeah Langdon Bay is looking very interesting temperature wise. Depends if the wind direction can keep constant, where it is now seems to be the sweet spot. The temp could suddenly go down though if the wind changes.

03:00 - 25.7C

02:00 - 25.6C

01:00 - 25.5C

00:00 - 24.8C

Langdon Bay link on OGIMET:

WWW.OGIMET.COM

Edited by audiotech
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, audiotech said:

Langdon Bay gone up again to 25.9C at 4am, sunrise at 5:30am. Hopefully the early sun heating won't change the wind direction before 9am.

That’s almost tropical!

Edited by ThundersnowDays
  • Like 1

Posted

My warmest night on record low of 22.3C with 65% humidity let’s just say I didn’t get a wink of sleep. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, audiotech said:

Langdon Bay gone up again to 25.9C at 4am, sunrise at 5:30am. Hopefully the early sun heating won't change the wind direction before 9am.

Sadly Gary broke the news I seriously thought we had done it, it’s interesting how frequently we seem to challenge it but never come quite close enough in end.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

By far the worst night i've had in a long time, never got below mid 20's where i'm staying in London. Horrendous conditions

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
11 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Do they deliberately heat the rooms to such dangerously high temperatures or is it just natural?

They a decontamination rooms in hospitals/dentists and vets. Heat and humidity come from the steam sterilisers venting off at 134c. No ventilation is allowed due to contamination. Higher ambient temps mean a sharp increase in room temps, yesterday was murder,literally.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

My warmest night on record low of 22.3C with 65% humidity let’s just say I didn’t get a wink of sleep. 

Hi Daniel,

Probably around the same here in Lee, a few Miles down the Road from you.

It was possibly the warmest Night of my 64 Years, and My Wife Colette, who is 10 Years younger than me.

Although our Bedroom, is the larger of the two, in this very small 2 Bedroomed House, to my mind it's about the size of what's considered  to be a Box Room.

I'm so glad I bowed to my Wife's wishes of getting a 3rd (yes 3rd) Fan, for our Bedroom.

We now have 2 Tower Fans and a Pedestal Fan. Although the Temperature in the Bedroom remained high, at least the air was circulating more, than normal.

We both agreed, it felt like a warm Hair Dryer, was being "played" on our skin.

We even had to resort to placing cold, wet flannels on our heads but as my Wife pointed out, these soon lost their moisture, no doubt due to the warm air wafting about.

Even though the coming Nights may be fractionally cooler than the one just passed, increasing humidity is likely to cancel out the difference.

Even though I still have Brontophobic tendencies, I may well have to endure a potent T/Storm to come out from the other side, of this heatwave.

But a conversation I had with an acquaintance of mine, local Meteorologist Ian Currie, during the previous 2 scorching Summers, has stuck in my mind.

He stated, "It can be as hot as hell" but without a trigger, it won't thunder.

That has certainly been the case, in recent Years.

Although the thunder deficit may be about to be reversed, I cannot remember nigh on 3 Summers where in my area of S.E. London, lightning/thunder has been in such short supply.

As for those on the Model Thread willing the heat and humidity to continue, perhaps they should come and live in the built up Suburbs of London, they might then "change their tune!!

I'd like to be able to live in the leafy Shires but some of us just can't afford to!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Temp bottomed out at 19.9c here in the outer burbs of North Surrey without air conditioning it must be pretty grim - I don’t think you can underestimate how much of a difference it makes , if you can’t retro fit it to your home then maybe a portable unit in the bedroom is the answer ?

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Sadly Gary broke the news I seriously thought we had done it, it’s interesting how frequently we seem to challenge it but never come quite close enough in end.   

I don't think this will be the last brush with the record - Tuesday morning looks a close call too.

On today, lots of cloud forecast in the models so I'd think the maxes predicted on the south coast are probably the least we'd see, as I think it can only be sunnier than forecast, not less. If a really good break appears, we might get that 37C somewhere like Brighton or Hastings - with full cloud cover, perhaps 32/33 as a tops, which is a crazy total under cloud cover.

• Like 1

Posted

Already quite considerable breaks developing along the south coast. I'm in Littlehampton and Its definitely less cloudy already.

As others have said, if the cloud does break for any considerable time temperatures will race up given conditions aloft are every bit as warm as yesterday but from a higher base.

Posted

I slept ok, even under a duvet still. Temp got down to 16.6°C here. Sunny at the mo but temps 3° down on this time yesterday.

Posted
22 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Temp bottomed out at 19.9c here in the outer burbs of North Surrey without air conditioning it must be pretty grim - I don’t think you can underestimate how much of a difference it makes , if you can’t retro fit it to your home then maybe a portable unit in the bedroom is the answer ?

Totally agree. I say this so often i must sound like an air con sales man

• Thanks 1

Slow burner on the temps this morning, is it me or is the undercut at the surface a bit more potent than expected. Only 22.7c at 9am here and temps struggling to rise a bit across the south east currently. Will be highly impressive if anything gets to 36c today.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Slow burner on the temps this morning, is it me or is the undercut at the surface a bit more potent than expected. Only 22.7c at 9am here and temps struggling to rise a bit across the south east currently. Will be highly impressive if anything gets to 36c today.

Im leaning that way myself, especially as some of the higher resolution models have eased off as well.

With that being said the fundamentals are similar to yesterday and if there are significant spells of clear weather somewhere the temperatures will shoot rapidly upwards.

I suspect 32-33c is more likely now unless we get a hotspot somewhere.