Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

Sorry to be rather imby but this hot spell is now going to turn very interesting for my area on the south coast. Quite often when Heathrow is hitting the temperature heights we're 5-8 degrees lower due to the sea. It's going to be strange being one of the hot spots (potentially) in a spell like this. If it all goes perfectly, it might be the hottest few days since 1976 here. I have cold beers and the garden patio ready!!

Man with the beard - I live at Worthing today we only topped 26, live about half a mile inland, do you think we will get into the 30s tomorrow? Hasn’t reached 30 all year yet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It is a well known trait of the British that we love to moan about anything and everything!

Indeed! But wearing face masks isn’t something to take lightly or think that it doesn’t need doing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Just walked out off site in London, for brief few minutes 35c felt cool! Last 3hrs in room of over 45c and dripping humidity... the cool didn't last long. What a awful day for working, utterly vile.

Gosh! I don't know how you cope! I really feel for you! I'm surprised such working conditions are even legal. The heat index must have been in the 50's!

Do they deliberately heat the rooms to such dangerously high temperatures or is it just natural?

It's just been pleasantly warm here today - mostly cloudy and around 24C. Bit humid but I'm not complaining.

I remember I went to Blackpool on the hottest day on record last year and that was really hot.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
3 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

I like to use 950/925hpa temps now to better understand potential maxima

GFS 925hpa
20080715_0712.gif

Euro4 950hpa
20080715_0706.gif

Shows why potential temps are again much lower in Devon than Dorset eastwards, even when 850hpa doesn't show that so much 
20080715_0706.gif

Aaand of course that remains the case tomorrow.. and the next day... like all recent notable hot spells....

I would be grateful if I were you.. Temperatures in the mid 30's are not fun... Esspecially if you are working (see Markyo's post). It's been pleasantly warm here today - about 24C and mostly cloudy. Fine by me. It would be nice if it was a bit sunnier but the way this summer has been so far it's nice just to have a warm and dry day for a change.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Man with the beard - I live at Worthing today we only topped 26, live about half a mile inland, do you think we will get into the 30s tomorrow? Hasn’t reached 30 all year yet. 

It's hard to believe but have a look at the latest AROME for tomorrow. For Sussex, this is sick!

arome-0-27-0.png?07-17

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s now cloudy in London. We lost the sun by 4.30ish.

Sky has cleared here now just as it is going dark! At least it won't be a muggy night here.

Posted
22 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

It's hard to believe but have a look at the latest AROME for tomorrow. For Sussex, this is sick!

arome-0-27-0.png?07-17

Wow 35 -37 degrees, that’s not the only model showing that kind of heat

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

Sorry to be rather imby but this hot spell is now going to turn very interesting for my area on the south coast. Quite often when Heathrow is hitting the temperature heights we're 5-8 degrees lower due to the sea. It's going to be strange being one of the hot spots (potentially) in a spell like this. If it all goes perfectly, it might be the hottest few days since 1976 here. I have cold beers and the garden patio ready!!

It’s going to be a reversal of today - we in the north of the region were hitting 36oC and tomorrow we’ll be much lower and you’ll be touching 36oC no doubt. I’m OK with that as today was extremely hot - too hot for me even in the shade by the end. Enjoy (as you’ve got the beers in it’s been rude not to) 

I’ll be enjoying a relatively chilly 30oC

• Like 2

Posted
55 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

arome-0-27-0.png?07-17

Vile!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, clark3r said:

I'm keeping an eye on Shoreham by Sea for the record UK minima tonight too, some models don't have it dropping below 24C. Worthing is the weather place to be right now

EDIT: strike that, it's currently 21C there, ooopsy...

Edited by Man With Beard

53 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Arome almost confines the heat further into the south east. Based on the continual stream of moisture from the south west I don’t believe they’ll be 33/34’s into Dorset tomorrow...

Posted
40 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I'm keeping an eye on Shoreham by Sea for the record UK minima tonight too, some models don't have it dropping below 24C. Worthing is the weather place to be right now

EDIT: strike that, it's currently 21C there, ooopsy...

It’s 23.3 in this part of Worthing, only dropped 3 degrees from the day 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Back down to the low 20s tomorrow up here in the NE with a fresher north easterly breeze forecast.

Probably 7 to 9c cooler tomorrow 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

Wondering what all the fuss was about here in Wales - recorded a high of 27°C, very pleasant!

27C would have virtually made headlines when I was a lad!  How things have changed lol!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

One thing I’ve been thinking about this week. It’s amazing how we managed to reached 37°C back in July after just a couple of days of heat. When you think back to 2003 there was quite a build up to reach the record, now it doesn’t seem like much effort to reach these temperature.

I definitely think we’ll see 40°C in my lifetime.

Posted
6 minutes ago, James M said:

One thing I’ve been thinking about this week. It’s amazing how we managed to reached 37°C back in July after just a couple of days of heat. When you think back to 2003 there was quite a build up to reach the record, now it doesn’t seem like much effort to reach these temperature.

I definitely think we’ll see 40°C in my lifetime.

Without a doubt, things have certainly changed since 2003!  Dread to think what summers will be like in another 20-30 years! 

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

What are we looking like for minima? Still around 26 here and cloud cover. Where has the best chance? It's so hot I reckon I'll be staying up for a while yet

Posted
2 minutes ago, Typhoon John said:

What are we looking like for minima? Still around 26 here and cloud cover. Where has the best chance? It's so hot I reckon I'll be staying up for a while yet

I hope you've got some alcoholic beverages on the go!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
6 minutes ago, Typhoon John said:

A cool 19.7°C here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

20.8°C here after a brief rise to 21.6°C not long ago

Posted

Hideous heat, Im all for lovely sunny summer days, but this is too much.  I want Greta's AC unit. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nath said:

Hideous heat, Im all for lovely sunny summer days, but this is too much.  I want Greta's AC unit. 

I want (proper) winter!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold
16 minutes ago, Don said:

I hope you've got some alcoholic beverages on the go!

Plenty consumed and more ready to go! Sat out in shorts t-shirt, barefoot and it still feels warm

• Like 1