Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

Finally some real summer warmth, 25,3c as maximum today and tomorrow friendly 27-28c with even higher humidity which we all need when the climate is getting colder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Seriously looking like the next several nights will be horrendous, high humidity and high temps, utterly vile. Especially further south you are.

Yeah it's not gonna be nice. I usually sleep with the a/c on, set to 23C as I found anything lower just kills the unit faster! Earplugs are a must too...!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
11 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

Yeah it's not gonna be nice. I usually sleep with the a/c on, set to 23C as I found anything lower just kills the unit faster! Earplugs are a must too...!

Mine is set at 16c...not joking either! Only thing in that it kills in 16 years has been my bank balance! On my 2nd unit in that time, got to be at least 12btu though. Find the noise no prob as its at a constant level, find it quite easy to sleep with. Much better than the awful humid heat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
14 minutes ago, markyo said:

Mine is set at 16c...not joking either! Only thing in that it kills in 16 years has been my bank balance! On my 2nd unit in that time, got to be at least 12btu though. Find the noise no prob as its at a constant level, find it quite easy to sleep with. Much better than the awful humid heat.

Will be needed this week. I could do with it this week as it’ll be 20c plus by night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
59 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

Doesn’t look like ever getting particularly hot here anyway - it’ll just be humid.

Posted
25 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Will be needed this week. I could do with it this week as it’ll be 20c plus by night!

Good luck, hope you can get some cooler air moving at home, its not going to be nice at all.

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

Doesn’t look like ever getting particularly hot here anyway - it’ll just be humid.

Humidity is far worse than heat for sleeping in i find. This is were a/c comes in really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

I'm taking the models with a pinch of salt at the moment, after today autumnal weather and rain and i'm in the West midlands not Scotland.

Looks good for next week though.   I think the max for tomorrow will be 35C for south east.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, StormChaseUK said:

I'm taking the models with a pinch of salt at the moment, after today autumnal weather and rain and i'm in the West midlands not Scotland.

Looks good for next week though.   I think the max for tomorrow will be 35C for south east.

I know how you feel, cloudy all day and now chucking it down with rain, cant get today right so does NOT bode well for getting tomorrow correct

Edited by sparky1972
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow
2 minutes ago, StormChaseUK said:

It was 24c during the rain. Thats some warm autumn weather mate!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
3 minutes ago, StormChaseUK said:

i know. A hopeless dull day ! But low and behold the sun comes out ay 6pm as usual.

Posted

Looks like we will have at least very warm-hot temperatures here from tomorrow into next week.

Interesting how many temperature charts I've seen show the real 30C+ heat not getting west of Dorset (even if higher 850hpa temps are further west), reminiscent of many recent hot spells.

If the hot air did get further west, given the south coast may see the elusive offshore breeze in a hot airmass at times, we may challenge some local records (Exeter Airport's June/July/August records are from 1976, 1983 and 1990.. with 90F not seen since despite occurring in those 3 years that are 7 years apart).

Surely on the ECM the hot near surface air would get into Devon though.. if not I give up on getting proper 'hot' temperatures here again lol.
ECMOPEU12_72_2.pngECMOPEU12_96_2.png

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2

Posted

Finally some decent heat.

Autumn can stay well away as far as I’m concerned. Don’t want any of those manky high teens and low 20s with a cool breeze and cloudy periods type weather. That can arrive in mid September.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Sometimes I get fed up with the SE getting all the heat, especially when the national (London-based) media then go on and on and on about it as though 90% of the country had seen it instead of 20%!

But on this occasion... yeah. I think you guys in the SE corner are welcome to mid-30s days, 20 °C nights and high humidity. The mid-high 20s that seem likely IMBY sound a lot more appealing!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Sometimes I get fed up with the SE getting all the heat, especially when the national (London-based) media then go on and on and on about it as though 90% of the country had seen it instead of 20%!

But on this occasion... yeah. I think you guys in the SE corner are welcome to mid-30s days, 20 °C nights and high humidity. The mid-high 20s that seem likely IMBY sound a lot more appealing!

Getting fed up with the weather forecasts lumping England into one homogenous zone, describing upcoming spell as staying hot in England, not the case, far north of England low-mid 20s tomorrow at best, low 20s Saturday and just high teens for NE parts on Sunday. Preety average for time of year. A very SE centric focus. It is very annoying.

• Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

I think we have been lucky in that regard recently, in that the big heat spikes in 2015, 2019 and last week were all fairly short lived.

2018 was long but only went ultra hot for a few days as well.

This is looking like a long period of time where we could well go north of 32c maxes over the next 7 days and mins not much below 20c either.

Also whilst its not national, its hard to deny this is a pretty historic heat event lining up for the SE quarter. 

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

This forecast is more akin to the Mediterranean than London!

Looks like the curse of cool Augusts has been broken..

hothothot.thumb.png.e2454f9671ebb91a1a1bd2fd6bf05cc1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Hot weather: How to sleep in the heat

_108026121_gettyimages-607493658.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A simple guide on how to get a good night's sleep in the heat.

Thought some of our members in here might appreciate this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Hot weather: How to sleep in the heat

_108026121_gettyimages-607493658.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A simple guide on how to get a good night's sleep in the heat.

Thought some of our members in here might appreciate this.

Nice! Lots will be needing all the help they can get this week. It did make me chuckle though when it mentions about babies....’They'll sleep best when the temperature (in their room) is kept between 16C and 20C.’ Good luck with that then lol  

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

This forecast is more akin to the Mediterranean than London!

Looks like the curse of cool Augusts has been broken..

hothothot.thumb.png.e2454f9671ebb91a1a1bd2fd6bf05cc1.png

That's more like what I'd expect to see when I look at forecasts for Florida

The Met Office map has it above 20C pretty much everywhere in the SE & EA with ~26C in Central London on Saturday... at 4am.image.thumb.png.b114e821c2ae9c8c62e35700458b1d46.png

• Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Getting fed up with the weather forecasts lumping England into one homogenous zone, describing upcoming spell as staying hot in England, not the case, far north of England low-mid 20s tomorrow at best, low 20s Saturday and just high teens for NE parts on Sunday. Preety average for time of year. A very SE centric focus. It is very annoying.

Not as annoying as constantly spelling 'pretty' as 'preety'

Posted
7 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

All time record? 

Its certainly possible, though as others have said in theory Saturday is actually set-up better for it, but the air is just that bit more unstable so cloud could be a problem.

36.8C needed to make it the 3rd top 5 day in just 13 months!

Thats definately do able, and if it doesn't make it tomorrow, I'd bet it will on Saturday, with maybe another shot on Mon-Wed.

Also that Met office forecast for 4am is utterly outrageous, as others have said 20-26c at 4am is frankly more or less tropical in range.

Posted
On 02/08/2020 at 22:18, MattStoke said:

10 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

That's more like what I'd expect to see when I look at forecasts for Florida

The Met Office map has it above 20C pretty much everywhere in the SE & EA with ~26C in Central London on Saturday... at 4am.image.thumb.png.b114e821c2ae9c8c62e35700458b1d46.png

lockquote widgetblockquote widget

Could we see the overtime night record broken?