Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Like I said before, I want August to be as hot as July 2006 or 2018, or even 1983. The current August record is so far behind the warmest Julys, yet a typical August isn't distinguiahable from a typical July by climate.

A lot of people seem to lack common sense when it comes to keeping houses cool in summer. Only open windows at night, and keep blinds or curtains closed during peak heat.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Or weeks of wind and rain and temps between 8-13c. So boring and depressing.

You had 5 months of that, from the end of September last year until March this year. Some people have very short memories! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
20 minutes ago, B87 said:

A lot of people seem to lack common sense when it comes to keeping houses cool in summer. Only open windows at night, and keep blinds or curtains closed during peak heat.

Sadly some new build high rises heat up significantly during warmer weather and take a long time to cool down. Regardless of whether it drops to 18 or 19 outside, inside it's still 30 inside no matter how many windows are open and blinds closed etc.  There's more to it than people not having common sense.

Especially a problem with more east facing bedrooms which don't receive ventilation from the cooler SW winds post-plume. 

Edited by Stabilo19

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Outlook looks very disapointing and boring for heat lovers North of London. Apps are showing low twenties for Manchester on Saturday while London hits the 36/37. Very August 10th 2003'ish, This is why i've got my train ticket for South booked.!! 

Edited by 38.7°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, or just sleep on top of the duvet for most of the night. Then, I usually just go under the blanket a few hours later when my body cools down, even on hot nights.

Even with the coming hot snap, the outlook is looking average, so I’ll be enjoying what little of a proper summer spell we have.

Have a Pimms, enjoy the sun, life is good.

Santa, and his mince pies, mulled wine and all that can bloody well wait!

Shops in my area are already selling 2021 diaries and calendars. Christmas is coming. 

Posted
2 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Met Office latest for Friday.

32335CEC-45CE-42FF-A1C6-96DC4E4EDF63.jpeg

Yeah im pretty confident on a 36-37 on Friday, and probably Saturday, though the coverage of the hottest temperature may be a little limited to the SE quarter.

Pretty rare to get two extreme bursts of heat like this from effectively two different setups.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Like I said before, I want August to be as hot as July 2006 or 2018, or even 1983. The current August record is so far behind the warmest Julys, yet a typical August isn't distinguiahable from a typical July by climate.

My dad shuts every window in the house at nightfall. Irritates the life out of me.... AC is only in my bedroom....

Edited by Stelmer

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Shops in my area are already selling 2021 diaries and calendars. Christmas is coming. 

Christmas is a long way off still, but like anything, the inescapable feeling from it creeps in around October.

We were already discussing the fact that people won’t be having Christmas company parties this year. August is usually a good time to book one.

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yeah im pretty confident on a 36-37 on Friday, and probably Saturday, though the coverage of the hottest temperature may be a little limited to the SE quarter.

Pretty rare to get two extreme bursts of heat like this from effectively two different setups.

Are we going to get any storms from the plume?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
4 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

Outlook looks very disapointing and boring for heat lovers North of London. Apps are showing low twenties for Manchester on Saturday while London hits the 36/37. Very August 10th 2003'ish, This is why i've got my train ticket for South booked.!! 

Well as bad as this summer has been, I'd much rather have 22C than 36C! At least 22C is comfortable and you can actually do things without collapsing lol. I'm sure many Londoners would agree.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, kold weather said:

Why are you confident? At most 850hPa temps look to be about 18C I don’t think that’d satisfactory even Saturday isn’t looking definitive looking at GFS. The models were looking hotter few days ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

3 hours ago, Stelmer said:

My dad shuts every window in the house at nightfall. Irritates the life out of me.... AC is only in my bedroom....

I found out the hard way that if you don't you end up with bugs in your room. I'd rather deal with the heat than a dozen or so moths and a mosquito...

My house is nearly always cool though anyway, even on Friday it only reached 24C in the bedroom, but I live in an old bungalow which might be why.

Posted

Honestly hope we don't get the temperatures being predicted in the model thread right now, that would be deadly. I wouldn't be concerned about a 1 day heatwave delivering 40 then quickly being pushed away (last Friday would have been perfect), but an entire week of heatwave temperatures with a 40C day would kill people. Looking at high teens or low twenties night time temperatures too, which would average our temperatures at 25-30C, that is horrific in a country without air con in most homes. I've only done that once before in Cyprus  (typical night time temp is 24C). It took me hours to fall asleep and when I did I only managed 3 or 4 hours

Posted

Where is 36C/37C coming from? All I'm seeing is the low 30s. Temps have downgraded and now it looks like just 2 days of heat maybe 3 max as opposed to 4 as originally forecasted. 

Posted
43 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Where is 36C/37C coming from? All I'm seeing is the low 30s. Temps have downgraded and now it looks like just 2 days of heat maybe 3 max as opposed to 4 as originally forecasted. 

Well it wont be on the sea front along southern coastal towns, that's a fact!

Posted

Of course if you have to wear masks (as we all should) then the hotter it gets and for longer, will be a most enjoyable experience for some.

Posted
2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Of course if you have to wear masks (as we all should) then the hotter it gets and for longer, will be a most enjoyable experience for some.

I think those who say "its too hot" to wear a mask are just looking for an excuse not to wear one. I wore mine on Friday and I felt fine. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
6 hours ago, qwertyK said:

I think those who say "its too hot" to wear a mask are just looking for an excuse not to wear one. I wore mine on Friday and I felt fine. 

It’s disgusting having a mask on your face in hot weather, it’s not an excuse when you have sweat dripping from your whole face and have to deal with food.

Posted

It is horrible, but wearing a mask will be common practice until 2021 at least.

The plus side is, temps will start to cool off by the time we reach late August, which may not be soon enough for people who hate the heat. But, it won’t be long before we get the damp and cool weather again, I’m just going to enjoy whatever August throws at us in terms of hot weather.

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, qwertyK said:

I think it comes from the fact that ECM and GFS both forecasted maxes around 32-33c and in truth most of the SE got at least a little high, and some got way higher.

No certainty that happens again but the models nearly always push temperatures up as we move closer to the event.

Posted

I think in part they underestimated so much due to pushing the plume though a little faster than reality and/or bringing in some cloud sooner (GFS did have a 34C on the day). I remember the GFS used to under-estimate more with a breeze than light winds.. not sure if that's still the case.

Of course 850hpa doesn't always translate easily to the surface, but I feel there is a realistic maximum increase of about 18C.. so some of the thoughts on potential temps next week may have been a touch high, but maybe last night's ECM could have squeezed 38C as it brought had the 20C line back.

2020, 2019, 2015 had a ~17C difference.. 2006 and 2003 maybe 18C.
Most extreme was perhaps 1990 when Cheltnham got 37.1C with ~18C 850's, so a 19C difference.

CFSR_1_1990080318_2.png

I suspect there could have been a 20C difference in 1976 given perfect conditions.. Well, more according to Wetterzentrale archives.. but I don't completely trust the available charts for back then anymore since I know they used to show ~17C 850hpa air 27th/28th June, yet now show 13-14C 
So the former is a 18-19C difference again for the June record of 35.6C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, Freeze said:

It’s disgusting having a mask on your face in hot weather, it’s not an excuse when you have sweat dripping from your whole face and have to deal with food.

It’s not pleasant but it saves lives, so it needs to be done, unfortunately. People need to think about it and stop being selfish. Seems to be an issue in the UK, for some reason whereas here, everyone just gets on with it without drama.

• Like 1