Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Yes I will have to say something to my boss along the lines of ‘the extreme heat in here due to poor ventilation and no air conditioning is making me feel extremely unwell, so unless I’m allowed to remove clothing/wear shorts, I’ll go home sick instead’ and let them make the call.

its a dumb rule anyway - I would understand if I was customer facing, but I work in a warehouse/office so I don’t get it.

Tell your boss to do one and become a postman. Those guys are always in shorts.

Posted
52 minutes ago, markyo said:

Later this week is not looking good working wise,,,suspect knocking onto 40c in some of the decom rooms i go into as i have calls in the London area. That coupled with 100% humidity will mean timed working,resulting in lot longer jobs. Utterly horrible. Roll on Winter.

Gosh. You’re the biggest hater of heat I’ve ever met, doing what is probably the worst job ever if you hate heat, working in the hottest part of the country when we are having a heatwave! Couldn’t make it up could you?!

40°C with 100% humidity must be completely unbearable and even unliveable/dangerous for humans, as we cannot sweat properly when the humidity is at 100% and our body temp is only around 37°C, so you would die of heat exhaustion pretty quickly I would imagine. The heat index must be well over 50°C. 

I’ll be praying for you this week.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Gosh. You’re the biggest hater of heat I’ve ever met, doing what is probably the worst job ever if you hate heat, working in the hottest part of the country when we are having a heatwave! Couldn’t make it up could you?!

40°C with 100% humidity must be completely unbearable and even unliveable/dangerous for humans, as we cannot sweat properly when the humidity is at 100% and our body temp is only around 37°C, so you would die of heat exhaustion pretty quickly I would imagine. The heat index must be well over 50°C. 

I’ll be praying for you this week.

Jobs take a lot longer, depends on size of decomm room,some less that 10min and you have to leave.(being masked now doesn't help either) Can stretch a 45min job to over 2hrs at times. And air con is not allowed due to CQC regulations.Least the nurses don't bother you, they stay out of the rooms as much as possible! Must admit i do make some strange noises when i get back in the car and whack the aircon up to max afterwards...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Roll on autumn

Don't know how people can be wishing for hot nights. What's pleasant about rolling back and forth covered in sweat before finally falling asleep at 4am due to exhaustion? maybe the hot nights are different in other parts of the UK compared to the London concrete jungle? 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

Yes I will have to say something to my boss along the lines of ‘the extreme heat in here due to poor ventilation and no air conditioning is making me feel extremely unwell, so unless I’m allowed to remove clothing/wear shorts, I’ll go home sick instead’ and let them make the call.

its a dumb rule anyway - I would understand if I was customer facing, but I work in a warehouse/office so I don’t get it.

Unless its in terms of a contract you have signed your boss can do one if you want to wear shorts, he's just talking b*****ks. Hope it's not to bad.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
14 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Roll on autumn

Don't know how people can be wishing for hot nights. What's pleasant about rolling back and forth covered in sweat before finally falling asleep at 4am due to exhaustion? maybe the hot nights are different in other parts of the UK compared to the London concrete jungle? 

7.5mg Zopiclone and you'll sleep like a log whatever the temp. 

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete

Posted
6 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

7.5mg Zopiclone and you'll sleep like a log whatever the temp. 

Or melatonin. I take one capsule before bedtime and it makes it easier/quicker to get off to sleep. You can only buy it online though as it’s not made in this country for some reason. 

Ive not heard of zopliclone, I shall have to look into that.

Posted
9 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Or melatonin. I take one capsule before bedtime and it makes it easier/quicker to get off to sleep. You can only buy it online though as it’s not made in this country for some reason. 

Ive not heard of zopliclone, I shall have to look into that.

In the UK melatonin is a prescription drug but I get mine from iHerb in the US where it is marketed as a nutritional supplement.  It's perfectly legal to import for own use but don't give any to anyone else because technically that makes you a drug dealer.  Not taking melatonin at the moment because I'm currently on Zopiclone.

Zopiclone is strong hypnotic only available by prescription from a GP.  I have it because I suffer from chronic insomnia.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

In the UK melatonin is a prescription drug but I get mine from iHerb in the US where it is marketed as a nutritional supplement.  It's perfectly legal to import for own use but don't give any to anyone else because technically that makes you a drug dealer.  Not taking melatonin at the moment because I'm currently on Zopiclone.

Zopiclone is strong hypnotic only available by prescription from a GP.  I have it because I suffer from chronic insomnia.

Careful with zopiclone.

I was prescribed it after the death of my sister and 7 years later following a chronic addiction where I was popping 5 x 7.5mg tablets a night and a visit to rehab, I’ve now been clear of them for about 5 years:)

Obviously they’re a godsend for insomnia/anxiety and as long as you don’t have an addictive personality and some willpower/discipline, you’ll be fine - my mum has been on the lower 3.75mg dose for 10 years or something now without ever increasing her dose or forming a habit - just be careful:)

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Careful with zopiclone.

I was prescribed it after the death of my sister and 7 years later following a chronic addiction where I was popping 5 x 7.5mg tablets a night and a visit to rehab, I’ve now been clear of them for about 5 years:)

Obviously they’re a godsend for insomnia/anxiety and as long as you don’t have an addictive personality and some willpower/discipline, you’ll be fine - my mum has been on the lower 3.75mg dose for 10 years or something now without ever increasing her dose or forming a habit - just be careful:)

I have the 7.5mg tablets but I cut them in half so yes, I'm on 3.75mg.  Fortunately I don't have a addictive personality.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

Roll on autumn

No, summer please continue. It’s not been summery enough until recently.

I won’t be whining about the heat, and it doesn’t look like it will last more than a few days at the weekend.

• Like 1

Posted

Do we think that the models are going to under-assume temps like they did earlier or will they more or less be the same? I'm seeing hgihs of 33-34C for Heathrow and Northolt. Just two days with 30c+ heat are being shown for Essex though. 

Edited by qwertyK

Posted
36 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Do we think that the models are going to under-assume temps like they did earlier or will they more or less be the same? I'm seeing hgihs of 33-34C for Heathrow and Northolt. Just two days with 30c+ heat are being shown for Essex though. 

Automated forecast for Heathrow, and these temperature projections are often revised upwards nearer the time.

C31A2E09-261D-4A3A-B80C-6FB21C4EB2A3.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Automated forecast for Heathrow, and these temperature projections are often revised upwards nearer the time.

C31A2E09-261D-4A3A-B80C-6FB21C4EB2A3.jpeg

I don't like the met office weather app. Sure it says 36c there but when you look at the full forecast it only shows like 34. BBC does the same in fact all of them do

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
5 hours ago, markyo said:

Later this week is not looking good working wise,,,suspect knocking onto 40c in some of the decom rooms i go into as i have calls in the London area. That coupled with 100% humidity will mean timed working,resulting in lot longer jobs. Utterly horrible. Roll on Winter.

4 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Roll on autumn

I’m with you guys on this.  Having had 3 thoroughly miserable days last week with a sick migraine, I have felt so much better with the cooler weather.  Do very much understand people wanting warm sunny weather in summer both to enjoy and get outside jobs done but simply don’t understand the fevered wish for constant 30+ degrees of heat, surely a dry day with 22 degrees is good enough.  I’m hoping this awful heat we are faced with again this coming weekend is going to be tempered with thunder and rain rather than the sun constantly out burning me and everything in the garden to a frazzle.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
12 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Roll on autumn

There’s nothing pleasant about that, agreed but in most years, you can count nights like that on one hand, even in London. So I don’t get the near constant whining about it, especially when they are so infrequent? Have to say, I don’t particularly enjoy 37°C much lol but usually don’t have an issue sleeping, I just don’t wear anything and don’t use the duvet. A sheet is more than sufficient and a decent fan is very useful.

Posted
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

There’s nothing pleasant about that, agreed but in most years, you can count nights like that on one hand, even in London. So I don’t get the near constant whining about it, especially when they are so infrequent? Have to say, I don’t particularly enjoy 37°C much lol but usually don’t have an issue sleeping, I just don’t wear anything and don’t use the duvet. A sheet is more than sufficient and a decent fan is very useful.

Yes, or just sleep on top of the duvet for most of the night. Then, I usually just go under the blanket a few hours later when my body cools down, even on hot nights.

Even with the coming hot snap, the outlook is looking average, so I’ll be enjoying what little of a proper summer spell we have.

Have a Pimms, enjoy the sun, life is good.

Santa, and his mince pies, mulled wine and all that can bloody well wait!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I don't understand why temperatures need to be blast furnace level for people to feel satisfied. Mid 20s and settled is perfectly acceptable and useable.

............ and i dont see the fascination with a deep freeze in winter... i guess we all like different weather types?..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, or just sleep on top of the duvet for most of the night. Then, I usually just go under the blanket a few hours later when my body cools down, even on hot nights.

Even with the coming hot snap, the outlook is looking average, so I’ll be enjoying what little of a proper summer spell we have.

Have a Pimms, enjoy the sun, life is good.

Santa, and his mince pies, mulled wine and all that can bloody well wait!

Hehe, I’ll admit I started thinking about Christmas lights last night but I think I’ve got a bit of a problem  Those who dislike heat have had it pretty good this summer, we’ve had what, 4, maybe 5 hot days/nights out of 61-2? Hardly a drama.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
14 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Hehe, I’ll admit I started thinking about Christmas lights last night but I think I’ve got a bit of a problem  Those who dislike heat have had it pretty good this summer, we’ve had what, 4, maybe 5 hot days/nights out of 61-2? Hardly a drama.

There have barely been any warm nights at Heathrow this year, compared to normal. I only count 2 (18.3c and 19.4c on 25-26 June). The warmest night in July was only 17.4c and only 6 nights had lows above 16c (which isn't uncomfortable).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

The issue with my house is the storage heater effect from the bricks at night. That and my continual use of old electronics made me get A/C.

I don't like the heat but it's summer and we need some lovely weather.

• Like 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

............ and i dont see the fascination with a deep freeze in winter... i guess we all like different weather types?..

Or weeks of wind and rain and temps between 8-13c. So boring and depressing.

• Like 3

Posted
41 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, and even with record breaking temps, it's still going to be remembered as a poor or average summer. Unless we suddenly have a few weeks or so of very hot weather.

• Like 1