Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, Don said:

26-30c in high summer is fine, but 37-39c is too much.

Agree, especially in a country without much air conditioning in homes. I’d be very very happy with a mainly sunny August with 26-30°C on most days! 

Posted

Hmmm.

Met office temp predictions.

Heathrow Friday 35c.

Heathrow Saturday 36c

Portsmouth Friday 26c.

Portsmouth Saturday 28c.

Hastings 25c and 26c.

Nice time to live near the coast and not London (eg)

IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
49 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Hmmm.

Heathrow Friday 35c.

Heathrow Saturday 36c

Portsmouth Friday 26c.

Portsmouth Saturday 28c.

Hastings 25c and 26c.

IMO.

But then the rest of the time, London gets nice comfortable 23-25c temps, while the coast languishes at 20-21c with a breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Willing to be corrected, but if it does reach 35C again later this week it would make it the only time it has happened in multiple spells in 1 summer (discounting 1976/2003 which had 2 peaks of it in single heatwaves).  Would be remarkable given that the summer is an average one at best so far

Edited by SummerShower

Posted

I’m back to work full time this week and of course summer looks to arrive proper. 
I know I clamour for warm weather but those predicted temps in a tin box office with no air con and a boss who won’t let you wear shorts under ANY circumstances even though I’m not customer facing is going to be grotesque.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

But then the rest of the time, London gets nice comfortable 23-25c temps, while the coast languishes at 20-21c with a breeze.

Exactly. When daytime highs are around 21-24c in London, the coast usually feels cool or cold. 

Even during July 2018, we picked a day to head to Eastbourne, it was 29-30c in London, but 25c by the coast. The wind was quite chilly, but the sun was strong enough not to make it feel cold.

I don’t mind a sea breeze, but hate a strong blowing wind. Even in places like spain, it can make you feel uncomfortable and give you a headache.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I’m back to work full time this week and of course summer looks to arrive proper. 
I know I clamour for warm weather but those predicted temps in a tin box office with no air con and a boss who won’t let you wear shorts under ANY circumstances even though I’m not customer facing is going to be grotesque.

I work in security, and I’m removing my tie and blazer. We don’t have many people in the building, so I’ll just say it’s too hot.

I got used to not wearing a tie after lockdown started, not because it was warm, but I hate wearing ties at the best of times lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Seems like Wales is, as usual, missing out on the 30C+ weather again.  It's been 30 years since Wales recorded its highest temperature ever of 35.2C on the 2nd August 1990!

Edited by Earthshine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
7 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Seems like Wales is, as usual, missing out on the 30C+ weather again.  It's been 30 years since Wales recorded its highest temperature ever of 35.2C on the 2nd August 1990!

It's been 133 years since Ireland recorded its highest temperature of 33.3C on 26th June 1887!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Yes, it does seem the extreme heat is confined to the London and South East region. 

• Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, MP-R said:

Wow has Essex not had any of those thunderstorms in mid-late June? My grass looked worse than that until mid June, then sprung to life after 70mm worth of thunderstorms, and a washout that came from... the east... on the 18th.

I had 70mm in June of which 32mm came one massive downpour only had 1.2mm in May it really didn’t revive the grass it went green in patches but now it’s completely gone. What froze is the days shared is normal every summer in SE England the grass dies and recovers again from Autumn rains often quite quickly. There’s significant evaporation at this time of year but soon insolation will rapidly decrease. 

92B2352B-D8DC-41E6-9369-C80D751B308F.thumb.jpeg.4a6ee326991d7057735a9a55e99d6d53.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
28 minutes ago, BruenSryan said:

It's been 133 years since Ireland recorded its highest temperature of 33.3C on 26th June 1887!

Think yourself very lucky!! Its not nice!

Posted
2 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Hmmm.

Heathrow Friday 35c.

Heathrow Saturday 36c

Portsmouth Friday 26c.

Portsmouth Saturday 28c.

Hastings 25c and 26c.

IMO.

Romford is technically in London mate there’s no escape !

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Hmmm.

Heathrow Friday 35c.

Heathrow Saturday 36c

Portsmouth Friday 26c.

Portsmouth Saturday 28c.

Hastings 25c and 26c.

IMO.

Wonder if we will beat the 37.8 or is that asking a bit too much

Posted
20 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Wonder if we will beat the 37.8 or is that asking a bit too much

I hope we can get an August with comparable temperatures to July 2006 or 2018. The hottest August on record here was 1995 with 27.0c. That's over 1c cooler than the 2 warmest Julys, infact there have been 4 Julys warmer. Suggests August has never reached its potential as the month is usually identical to July temperature-wise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

Couldn't agree more...not sure there is a maximum working temperature rule in office/factory, I know there is for cold. Best of luck.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I work in security, and I’m removing my tie and blazer. We don’t have many people in the building, so I’ll just say it’s too hot.

I got used to not wearing a tie after lockdown started, not because it was warm, but I hate wearing ties at the best of times lol.

Yes I will have to say something to my boss along the lines of ‘the extreme heat in here due to poor ventilation and no air conditioning is making me feel extremely unwell, so unless I’m allowed to remove clothing/wear shorts, I’ll go home sick instead’ and let them make the call.

its a dumb rule anyway - I would understand if I was customer facing, but I work in a warehouse/office so I don’t get it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

On 01/08/2020 at 14:53, Froze were the Days said:

Here is my parched lawn...far from lush, saying that my location always does well in a westerly set up in the summer for sun, warmth and lack of rainfall.

20200801_144150.jpg

On 01/08/2020 at 15:15, B87 said:

Where is that? That just looks like typical summer grass in SW London. Certainly not parched like it was in 2018.

If that is normal summer grass in London then I’d hate to see what 2018 grass looked like!

It seems like the south east is turning into some kind of desert climate! Parched grass is very rare here in the NW, the last time that happened here was in July 2018.  Everything is always lush and green up here because of all the rain lol.

Posted
12 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

If that is normal summer grass in London then I’d hate to see what 2018 grass looked like!

It seems like the south east is turning into some kind of desert climate! Parched grass is very rare here in the NW, the last time that happened here was in July 2018.  Everything is always lush and green up here because of all the rain lol.

Like this:

vauxhall-london-uk-25-july-2018-vauxhall

Heathrow's 1991-2020 averages are actually wetter and have more rain days annually than the 1981-2010 averages.

Edited by B87
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Later this week is not looking good working wise,,,suspect knocking onto 40c in some of the decom rooms i go into as i have calls in the London area. That coupled with 100% humidity will mean timed working,resulting in lot longer jobs. Utterly horrible. Roll on Winter.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Romford is technically in London mate there’s no escape !

Thank god I don't live in Heathrow Dan.

Maybe only 2 or 3 hot days, time will tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Like this:

vauxhall-london-uk-25-july-2018-vauxhall

Heathrow's 1991-2020 averages are actually wetter and have more rain days annually than the 1981-2010 averages.

WoW. It looks like someone decided to build a city in the middle of the Sahara dessert lol. 

It’s amazing how different the climate is between Northwest and Southeast England. If you go up to the Lake District there is lakes everywhere and everywhere is waterlogged and muddy. 

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

After a few days respite the nagging cool breeze is back again. At least it ought not last more than a few days this time.