Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I agree it’s worrying to see how the climate has been affected since the 1970s by human influence. But, there’s also something else at play. The earth is probably naturally warming up.

The one way we could reverse warming, is by reducing the amount of cars we have on the roads, the way we work, but it’s something that needs to change now.

Working from home seems like a good way forward, so while we need businesses to be open to prop up local businesses, coffee shops, sandwich bars etc, a 50 percent workforce will more than likely be the way forward.

We are past the tipping point, so it’s something I’m not worrying about.

We could all die in a nuclear war before the climate kills us. 

Build dense high-rise farms and turn most of the existing farmland into heath or forest.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, qwertyK said:

It didn't start in March though did it? Sure it was sunny and dry but it was far from warm - I believe it was just about average and in the south it was quite a bit below. We had sleet one day, and frequent frosts. maybe mid april i guess it started.

That’s right. 

The early part of the sunny period from early lockdown, as nice as it was, had quite a few chilly days. It didn’t really warm up until the second half of April, and even then the mornings and evenings were cold enough to have the heating on.

The real warmth arrived when we went into May, but it may have given the impression it was warm since late March,  because it was sunny for weeks.

A nice spell of weather none the less.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

That’s right. 

The early part of the sunny period from early lockdown, as nice as it was, had quite a few chilly days. It didn’t really warm up until the second half of April, and even then the mornings and evenings were cold enough to have the heating on.

The real warmth arrived when we went into May, but it may have given the impression it was warm since late March,  because it was sunny for weeks.

A nice spell of weather none the less.

March had pretty average temperatures and rainfall in London, though it was sunnier than average with 148 hours.

The warmth started in April, averaging 18c and 235 hours of sun. April recorded 38mm rain in London so it wasn't a particularly dry month. May was the only month that could be considered very dry, with 2mm!

Posted

Based on today's model output, looks like summer may finally show it's head by end of next week, yes we had a 3 day very warm spell 23-25 June, and yesterday's odd shot of heat, but other than that nothing in the way of sustained warm and indeed sunny dry conditions. However, the models are showing a possible lengthier spell of dry sunny very warm weather first time predominantly settled conditions since late May. Good timing as by the time we reach mid August, that high summer feeling quickly leaves us, and light levels begin to diminish notably, just enough time left to hold onto the high summer feeling for another year.

Anyone who has booked time off from next week and wanting to spend time outdoors wherever in the UK will be very happy today. Those who have done so this weekend looking at the forecast with mixed feeling, given the upcoming few days don't exactly spell great summer weather. Luck of the draw!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted

I think late August and early September will be warm, but the mornings and evenings will be cooling off noticeably by then, even if we get some hot days.

I just hope we get a decent storm before the summer is over. London yet again has missed any storm activity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Spring was generally very sunny and dry, was that the case in your area? Mind you, the previous 5 months were sopping wet. Apparently, a mature oak tree can drink 600+ litres of water a day, crazy. 

Yep! bone dry and sunny from late March through to end of May...one passing T-storm on Easter Sunday with a few cloud to ground forks and that was the highlight of that period.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
54 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

especially around the Easter period, when it felt chilly

Good Friday, Easter Sat and Sunday were warm and humid (see my post above)...it became much fresher in the south east for a period thereafter on the Monday.

Memory like a goldfish me

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Good Friday, Easter Sat and Sunday were warm and humid (see my post above)...it became much fresher in the south east for a period thereafter on the Monday.

Memory like a goldfish me

Easter Monday was chilly in the wind, but still nice and sunny. The humidity then feels different when compared to high summer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Really hope next weekend gets watered down to mid to high 20s.

Some on here love the thought of breaking weather records (which is understandable) but mid to high 30s are too hot for the majority of the UK. Our infrastructure wasn't designed to cope with such high temps and most will be complaining about lack of sleep next weekend.  Especially so in London where the nights really struggle to cool down.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Really hope next weekend gets watered down to mid to high 20s.

Some on here love the thought of breaking weather records (which is understandable) but mid to high 30s are too hot for the majority of the UK. Our infrastructure wasn't designed to cope with such high temps and most will be complaining about lack of sleep next weekend.  Especially so in London where the nights really struggle to cool down.

No, I’m not after record breaking heat, but I do want 26-30c weather in high summer. Always feels warm enough if going to the coast, and the evenings stay warm. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

No, I’m not after record breaking heat, but I do want 26-30c weather in high summer. Always feels warm enough if going to the coast, and the evenings stay warm. 

26-30c in high summer is fine, but 37-39c is too much.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

So, I think it’s only fair, us summer lovers get to enjoy what is left of it. 

Well, it looks like all you summer lovers birthday's have come at once this month!  Spare a thought for us winter lovers in 4 months time, because I think could well be a different story!

Posted
26 minutes ago, Don said:

26-30c in high summer is fine, but 37-39c is too much.

Yes it is, but let’s not lose sight of the fact, it was only one day where the temp hit the mid 30s. 

We’ve had such a poor summer up until now, I was kind of glad to get some heat, even if a little too hot just to balance things out.

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Don said:

Well, it looks like all you summer lovers birthday's have come at once this month!  Spare a thought for us winter lovers in 4 months time, because I think could well be a different story!

I hope this August provides us with a few weeks of warm or hot sunny weather, but I’m not confident it will happen. I’ll just be glad for any warm sunny days we get.

As for winter, I would love it to be cold, with a little snow.

Are you worried about December being very mild? 

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes it is, but let’s not lose sight of the fact, it was only one day where the temp hit the mid 30s. 

We’ve had such a poor summer up until now, I was kind of glad to get some heat, even if a little too hot just to balance things out.

I wouldn't say it's been a particularly poor summer in the south so far, just unremarkable.  However, I think August will more than balance things out and in a month's time, summer 2020 will be remembered as being hot!  Early days of course, but something to consider.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Don said:

I wouldn't say it's been a particularly poor summer in the south so far, just unremarkable.  However, I think August will more than balance things out and in a month's time, summer 2020 will be remembered as being hot!  Early days of course, but something to consider.

Hmm, not sure about that. August will have to be really sunny and warm for summer 2020 to be salvaged .

Theres been far too many cloudy dull and unsettled days, even in London and the south east, which takes away that summer feeling. Granted there’s been some good weather, but the sunny spells have only been roughly 2 weeks since the early part of June, up until now. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I hope this August provides us with a few weeks of warm or hot sunny weather, but I’m not confident it will happen. I’ll just be glad for any warm sunny days we get.

As for winter, I would love it to be cold, with a little snow.

Are you worried about December being very mild? 

I'm concerned about winter as a whole being very mild, although I realise it's really too early to be thinking about it! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Don said:

I'm concerned about winter as a whole being very mild, although I realise it's really too early to be thinking about it! 

If this coming winter is very mild I'll eat a sock.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

I have a feeling this coming winter will buck the trend, and will see something similar to the 2017/18 winter. Some mild periods, but also some cold or very cold ones. I don’t think it will be cold before Christmas, the usual damp and mild 10-13c type stuff, but mid to late January will see the 7c and below days with sunny crisp weather. Maybe a 3-5 day snowy spell with minus 2c and a windchill of minus 6c. 

Nothing outstanding, but cold enough, and possibly fatal if we have a Covid second or third wave. The colder winter could prove much worse than a mild one.

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

If this coming winter is very mild I'll eat a sock.

Needless to day I hope you're correct!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

This isn't the Winter thread...

Quite right.  Sorry, I started that!

Posted

Met Office automated forecasts are giving 35’C for Friday and 36’C for Saturday at Heathrow. Rare to see those temperatures being projected at short range never mind this far out, and they are normally increased as we get closer to the event.

8F558E58-017C-4D34-9986-ABFB994EFDF9.jpeg

• Like 2