Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Well summer started in Smarch here but as some predicted, it couldn't be sustained and July was a bit average, maybe for once we will get a good August.

• Like 3

Posted
47 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

What do you want me to do about it?

Every summer has had a spell of 30c or above since 1975, plus 1983, 89 and 90 all reached 34c at some point. July 1994 was also hot. 

A few days of very hot weather, and you are doom mongering. 

Okay, but its the ease at what records are being broken. Not to mention that wholts the UK may not be *that* much warmer owing to it being influened so much by the ocean and being so northerly, so many other places are facing extreme heat. 

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Well summer started in Smarch here but as some predicted, it couldn't be sustained and July was a bit average, maybe for once we will get a good August.

It didn't start in March though did it? Sure it was sunny and dry but it was far from warm - I believe it was just about average and in the south it was quite a bit below. We had sleet one day, and frequent frosts. maybe mid april i guess it started.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Here is my parched lawn...far from lush, saying that my location always does well in a westerly set up in the summer for sun, warmth and lack of rainfall.

20200801_144150.jpg

Looks a bit yellow but nothing remarkably unusual, for the time of year. You live in one of the driest parts of the UK in summer. This isn’t a ‘new thing’, grass was often that colour in summer where I grew up (near Heathrow) in the 70’-80’s.

Lovely garden, by the way

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Looks a bit yellow but nothing remarkably unusual, for the time of year. You live in one of the driest parts of the UK in summer. This isn’t a ‘new thing’, grass was often that colour in summer where I grew up (near Heathrow) in the 70’-80’s.

Lovely garden, by the way

Yep that grass colour is nothing ocmpared to what it was like in late May/early June. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Here is my parched lawn...far from lush, saying that my location always does well in a westerly set up in the summer for sun, warmth and lack of rainfall.

20200801_144150.jpg

I use feed on mine and it stays green a lot longer makes a big difference (plus a little water)  ... I’d rather have your parched lawn though looks lovely 

8F31D604-8FB7-4331-BDCA-81EEAF66F9C6.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
7 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Looks a bit yellow but nothing remarkably unusual, for the time of year.

Well if it is going to go brown and parched it is usually going to be around late July/August but it was a bit parched in May (after the dry, sunny Spring) and the same in June in 2018 again after a remarkable Spring which the lawn took all Autumn to recover from so maybe a trend? Got some big trees which takes a fair bit of moisture as well so maybe only a partial reflection of conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

20200801_144150.jpg

Wow has Essex not had any of those thunderstorms in mid-late June? My grass looked worse than that until mid June, then sprung to life after 70mm worth of thunderstorms, and a washout that came from... the east... on the 18th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Wow has Essex not had any of those thunderstorms in mid-late June?

Yes we had 1 which passed south to north (trying to remember the date) but it wasn't accompanied by that much rain...as mentioned though cloudier here with some rainfall non of it has been particularly heavy this summer, it was parched to a degree back in late May (as per 2018) but recovered somewhat in June only to go downhill again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

What do you want me to do about it?

Every summer has had a spell of 30c or above since 1975, plus 1983, 89 and 90 all reached 34c at some point. July 1994 was also hot. 

A few days of very hot weather, and you are doom mongering. 

Reaching 38°C two summers in a row (and with ease both times) is not normal UK weather.. 

Once could be due to luck but twice and we might be looking at a new trend.

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Just goes to show how not even 2 weeks ago many people thought we'd miss out on 30°C this month... and then we end up getting one of the hottest days on record.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Just goes to show how not even 2 weeks ago many people thought we'd miss out on 30°C this month... and then we end up getting one of the hottest days on record.

Shows you how there is a lot of variation. It was only 33 or 34 where I am yet just in Harlow it was 36C and in Heathrow, which still isn't a million miles away, it was near 38C. Didn't feel anything too special here, just like a warmer than average summers day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
9 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Shows you how there is a lot of variation. It was only 33 or 34 where I am yet just in Harlow it was 36C and in Heathrow, which still isn't a million miles away, it was near 38C. Didn't feel anything too special here, just like a warmer than average summers day. 

'Only' 30.8°C here so it was cooler than last July's plume for here, places not much further west than here didn't get to 30 at all.

Posted
9 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Didn't feel anything too special here, just like a warmer than average summers day. 

Sounds like you’re adapting to our warming climate very well!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
53 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Well if it is going to go brown and parched it is usually going to be around late July/August but it was a bit parched in May (after the dry, sunny Spring) and the same in June in 2018 again after a remarkable Spring which the lawn took all Autumn to recover from so maybe a trend? Got some big trees which takes a fair bit of moisture as well so maybe only a partial reflection of conditions.

Spring was generally very sunny and dry, was that the case in your area? Mind you, the previous 5 months were sopping wet. Apparently, a mature oak tree can drink 600+ litres of water a day, crazy. 

Posted
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

Yep that grass colour is nothing ocmpared to what it was like in late May/early June. 

Definitely unusual to have yellow grass in Spring, but this spring was very sunny and dry.

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Sorry but every sign post says the same thing, so worry yes, the impact of summers will become far more reaching in the coming decades no matter how much you bury your head in the sand. Cold Winters will become far fewer and less severe, not me saying that but almost every single climatic scientist. Sadly death rates will also increase. Just look at the frequency we are hitting 30c plus in this country over the last 20 years? Its obvious.

It is very worrying and of huge concern. The way humans have abused the planet is beyond belief, I doubt anyone would deny it on here. But wanting hot and sunny weather in summer on a generally chilly, wet and dull island isn’t a crime. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
12 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

But wanting hot and sunny weather in summer on a generally chilly, wet and dull island isn’t a crime. 

It certainly isn't! All i was commenting on was the frequency and level of temps. Sorry if you thought otherwise,not my intention. As for the way us humans have and are abusing our home....don't get me started on that one!! I just fear we may have or are very near to a tipping point regarding especially summer weather globally, to many records are going to quickly, something is not right.

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, markyo said:

It certainly isn't! All i was commenting on was the frequency and level of temps. Sorry if you thought otherwise,not my intention. As for the way us humans have and are abusing our home....don't get me started on that one!! I just fear we may have or are very near to a tipping point regarding especially summer weather globally, to many records are going to quickly, something is not right.

Agree entirely.  Of course people are entitled to want hot sunny weather in summer, just like they’re entitled to want cold and snow in winter. However, as others have said, it’s the ease at how this world can get record breaking hot temperatures now which is alarming.  Looking increasingly likely that UK records will tumble yet again next week, too.  The mid to long term is very worrying.

Edited by Don

Posted
30 minutes ago, markyo said:

But, why worry about it all the time?

Just enjoy the summer for as long as it’s here. The decline into the darker months will be starting once we get past August 15th. We will be losing the daylight much quicker by that stage.

So, I think it’s only fair, us summer lovers get to enjoy what is left of it. 

Posted
24 minutes ago, markyo said:

We’re probably past the tipping point, it is very depressing to think of it. This coronavirus crisis has helped the planet to breathe again and awoken many to what needs to change. Fingers crossed that we won’t go back to our old ways. I don’t think that we will, somehow (just a feeling).

Everyone needs to do their bit. Whether that’s recycling, planting trees, conserving water or lobbying governments, many more voices need to be heard. 

Saying all that, maybe discussions/fears/worries about climate change, etc can be on the relevant threads and not clog up this one?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

In Bergen now, where it's cool and cloudy. Will miss what is probably going to be the first good August in years!

Posted

I agree it’s worrying to see how the climate has been affected since the 1970s by human influence. But, there’s also something else at play. The earth is probably naturally warming up.

The one way we could reverse warming, is by reducing the amount of cars we have on the roads, the way we work, but it’s something that needs to change now.

Working from home seems like a good way forward, so while we need businesses to be open to prop up local businesses, coffee shops, sandwich bars etc, a 50 percent workforce will more than likely be the way forward.

We are past the tipping point, so it’s something I’m not worrying about.

We could all die in a nuclear war before the climate kills us. 

Posted

I’m enjoying this current warm to hot weather. I remember how poor the weather was while down at the coast a few weeks ago. Still felt cold by the sea back then.