Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

or whether there is something more significant happening. 

Without any doubt sadly. Getting a bad feeling we could be in trouble in the next few decades.

• Like 1

Posted

I’m enjoying this heat. Was fed up with the autumnal feeling for most of July 2020, and for what has been a relatively poor summer so far.

Will be glad of some proper warmth next weekend. Nice to remind us that summer isn’t over just yet.

Autumn weather can do one until September, as far as I’m concerned. 

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

ttps://hwww.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53618473

A very worrying trend is growing,temp records falling globally, Summer could in some of our lifetimes be a season that would be very hard to cope with

Why worry, when you don’t know what’s round the corner. 

A cold winter will happen again, and I bet you more people will perish in that, when compared to a hot summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Didn’t find sleeping too bad the past two nights, the nights actually cooled quite quickly here and the high minima forecast was undershot by several degrees

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

I wish we had more summers like 2018 rather than generally poor ones with occasional ridiculous heat spikes lol. The heat was much more prolonged and mostly much drier. A few interruptions for storms/rain ... perfect.

I bet people were moaning when summer 2018 was happening. Longer periods of heat, between 25-30c will be just as tiring, if not more so when comparing it to a few days of very hot low to mid 30s weather.

Living in the city, I can tell you more people complained about summer 2018, from people who don’t enjoy the heat. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Not sure about that (maybe talking about your native Czechoslovakia)?...by next weekend could be looking at similar temps in the south and possibly for longer than a day, not sure that this summer has been that bad. Again certainly if you live in the south east, my lawn is parched and haven't cut it for a good number of weeks, yes cloudier and somewhat cooler but not sure it equates to 'dross' what does that make 2012 and 2007?...if so it shows just how much our summers have changed. 

While this summer (so far) hasn’t been quite as bad as 2007 or 2012, that’s hardly saying much as those years were absolutely horrific! I pray I never experience such a ghastly summer as 2012 again in my life. Even SE England hasn’t been that great this summer and much of the rest of the UK has been pretty dire. A ‘parched’ lawn just means it’s been quite dry recently, that’s all. Quite normal for grass to be yellowing at this time of the year (my Mums lawn near Heathrow certainly isn’t ‘parched’, out of interest). 

Models are showing chances of 30-32°C for next weekend in the SE but it’s a week away. Similar temperatures forecast for here, I’ll be welcoming them with open arms as I’m going camping, will be lovely Proper summer, at last.

Posted
8 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

While this summer (so far) hasn’t been quite as bad as 2007 or 2012, that’s hardly saying much as those years were absolutely horrific! I pray I never experience such a ghastly summer as 2012 again in my life. Even SE England hasn’t been that great this summer and much of the rest of the UK has been pretty dire. A ‘parched’ lawn just means it’s been quite dry recently, that’s all. Quite normal for grass to be yellowing at this time of the year (my Mums lawn near Heathrow certainly isn’t ‘parched’, out of interest). 

Models are showing chances of 30-32°C for next weekend in the SE but it’s a week away. Similar temperatures forecast for here, I’ll be welcoming them with open arms as I’m going camping, will be lovely Proper summer, at last.

I know earlier in June a similar thing happened where models showed 3 days of 30C temsp and then it faded to just one day that made it just above 30C (33c actually I think). Intestingly it looks like if the models aer true one of those days will end up with a tropical night at least in west London. 

Edited by qwertyK
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

I know earlier in June a similar thing happened where models showed 3 days of 30C temsp and then it faded to just one day that made it just above 30C (33c actually I think). Intestingly it looks like if the models aer true one of those days will end up with a tropical night at least in west London. 

Yes but there was more of a jet stream then, we've been just on the wrong side of a weakish jet throughout July (bar last day or so). The jet now looks like it's going to go AWOL for at least a few days at the end of this week...will be interesting to see what happens but my bet is for a very warm August

Posted
13 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Yes but there was more of a jet stream then, we've been just on the wrong side of a weakish jet throughout July (bar last day or so). The jet now looks like it's going to go AWOL for at least a few days at the end of this week...will be interesting to see what happens but my bet is for a very warm August

Not sure if it well get any warmer than 33 max on thoes days though as so far the weather is suggesting on 2/3 of those days it will be partly cloudy or cloudy which will stop things getting much hotter

Posted

Here is my parched lawn...far from lush, saying that my location always does well in a westerly set up in the summer for sun, warmth and lack of rainfall.

20200801_144150.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Why worry, when you don’t know what’s round the corner. 

Sorry but every sign post says the same thing, so worry yes, the impact of summers will become far more reaching in the coming decades no matter how much you bury your head in the sand. Cold Winters will become far fewer and less severe, not me saying that but almost every single climatic scientist. Sadly death rates will also increase. Just look at the frequency we are hitting 30c plus in this country over the last 20 years? Its obvious.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 5

Posted
Just now, markyo said:

Sorry but every sign post says the same thing, so worry yes, the impact of summers will become far more reaching in the coming decades no matter how much you bury your head in the sand. Cold Winters will become far fewer and less severe, not me saying that but almost every single climatic scientist. Sadly death rates will also increase.

It reached 51C in Baghdad the other day. Thoes are the places you wonder if they will remain habitable for much longer. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, qwertyK said:

It reached 51C in Baghdad the other day. Thoes are the places you wonder if they will remain habitable for much longer. 

In 5 decades i suspect many won't be.

Posted
Just now, markyo said:

In 5 decades i suspect many won't be.

4858.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Uncertainty over climate outcomes reduced but experts warn urgent reduction in CO2 levels is essential

Take note - people on here are guilty of both or even worse, just denying the existence of anthropogenic climate change or downplaying the human impact. Guess its reassuring to see the worst case scenario ruled out but also I think everyone would want to keep everyhting to 1.5c or under. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I can agree with that, I would add July 2006 and 2013 to absolutely stunning months. However living in Peterborough now July 2018 stands out as the high bar living relatively inland compared to the Gt Yarmouth prior to that.

It is hard to dismiss the fact we have seen temperatures over 35c reaches three years on the bounce and 100f hit two years in a row. Has the U.K. (Especially Eastern areas) simply rolled a favourable set of dice recently to deliver these highs where previously we simply saw the heat graze the south east, or whether there is something more significant happening. 

Yes definitely. Both of those were much more thundery here too. 2013 especially had the beautiful lightning storm on the early hours of my birthday and a monster storm on the 29th with bucket loads of rainfall and near straight-line winds.

I personally think a combination of we've struck lucky (or unlucky for heat haters) a few years in a row, and it's generally becoming easier to hit higher temperatures. There were many occasions in the 2007-2012 summers where mid-high thirties was not far away in France and the low countries but the heat went more northeasterwards than straight north or northwest towards us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I bet people were moaning when summer 2018 was happening. Longer periods of heat, between 25-30c will be just as tiring, if not more so when comparing it to a few days of very hot low to mid 30s weather.

Living in the city, I can tell you more people complained about summer 2018, from people who don’t enjoy the heat. 

You'll find people who moan about just about anything. I can only comment on who I know but most lapped up summer 2018 and got used to the heat. It was also so much easier to arrange things as there was a very high likelihood of good weather. 

I of course know a handful of people who dislike heat, who funnily enough chose to live in London or cities, so no sympathy there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

There were 3 consecutive days of 31c+ in late June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
21 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Here is my parched lawn...far from lush, saying that my location always does well in a westerly set up in the summer for sun, warmth and lack of rainfall.

20200801_144150.jpg

Where is that? That just looks like typical summer grass in SW London. Certainly not parched like it was in 2018.

Edited by B87
  • Like 2

Posted

One theory I do have why in these short blasts of heat, we can get impressive temperatures and it is down to the Atlantic imo. 

Atlantic lows do seem stronger in summer than they used to be so like yesterday if you got a strong ish low pressure system then more wind is created at the higher and lower levels of the atmosphere therefore heat travels further northwards. Its why if 40C does get breeched, it probably be a 1 or more likely 2 day quick blast rather than a blocking high set up. 

Of course climate change does mean the upper and lower air temperatures are warmer and despite what one poster is saying, the trends are only going up. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Without any doubt sadly. Getting a bad feeling we could be in trouble in the next few decades.

Yep, me too.  Feeling generally despondent at the moment I have to say.

Posted
11 minutes ago, B87 said:

Where is that? That just looks like typical summer grass in SW London. Certainly not parched like it was in 2018.

Looks pretty parched to me!

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, Don said:

Looks pretty parched to me!

Believe me it is is parched....if it is 'typical summer grass in SW London' it shows you just how much our climate is changing!

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 3

Posted
46 minutes ago, markyo said:

Sorry but every sign post says the same thing, so worry yes, the impact of summers will become far more reaching in the coming decades no matter how much you bury your head in the sand. Cold Winters will become far fewer and less severe, not me saying that but almost every single climatic scientist. Sadly death rates will also increase. Just look at the frequency we are hitting 30c plus in this country over the last 20 years? Its obvious.

What do you want me to do about it?

Every summer has had a spell of 30c or above since 1975, plus 1983, 89 and 90 all reached 34c at some point. July 1994 was also hot. 

A few days of very hot weather, and you are doom mongering. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Every summer has had a spell of 30c or above since 1975, plus 1983, 89 and 90 all reached 34c at some point. July 1994 was also hot. 

Really? All of them? I don't recall any 'spell of 30C or above' in 1979, 1980, 1981, 1987, 1988, 1993 or, for that matter 2012...? Though, I might have missed the odd day or two...

PS: I've no idea where this line-through has come from...I don't even have the option!:olddoh:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 2