Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Humidity is very low too. Around 24%. Amazing....I thought 35-36c would be the max....not 37-38c!!

Arpege and Arome come up trumps again

Edited by mb018538

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

21C and raining here now!  Pretty typical for the south east to get extreme heat and for the rest of the country wondering what all the fuss is about 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
Just now, qwertyK said:

Probably been discussed before, I know they've debunked the theory of an airport but is there any reason for why west London always seems to be the hottest part of the country? I would have thought somewhere more easterly would have been warmer. 

Proximity to the North Sea probably moderates temperatures.  

Posted
Just now, Earthshine said:

No not necessarily that far east but somewhere like Cambridge where we got it last year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
3 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Probably, although it will probably be just a single day like this rather than some drawn out heatwave. Wasn't there that one in the 1800s where it reacehd 40C somewhere and was ridiculously hot for a few days ? They could never verify it obviously. It's surprising to see this sudden warmth after a pretty average and abysmal summer. Still the heat has come a lot later than last year. I'm starting to think august might be a decent month

Yes, probably. August 2003 was a bit like that here, with only 1-2 really hot (>30 °C) days. Although a 40 °C max would obviously and rightly get lots of coverage, the one I think I'd find most notable would be the first 20 °C CET month. July 2006 came very close (19.7 °C) so it's surely possible now with the right setup.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Also the closure of all the urban stations in the centre of London. Teddington, Hampton and Kew all rival Heathrow for average highs in summer.

Camden Square would probably give SW London a run for its money if it still existed.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Probably been discussed before, I know they've debunked the theory of an airport but is there any reason for why west London always seems to be the hottest part of the country? I would have thought somewhere more easterly would have been warmer. 

Just the sweet spot in the UK. Same as why Seville/Córdoba usually end up hottest in Spain etc.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Arctic Hare said:

Yes, probably. August 2003 was a bit like that here, with only 1-2 really hot (>30 °C) days. Although a 40 °C max would obviously and rightly get lots of coverage, the one I think I'd find most notable would be the first 20 °C CET month. July 2006 came very close (19.7 °C) so it's surely possible now with the right setup.

I've always been interested by the fact that yet despite rising maxima in summer it's been thirty years and we still haven't beaten the overnight minima set back in 1990. It will be a hot night, but minima is 16-18C. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
24 minutes ago, Don said:

Could be inevitable and to be fair we have been told for some time to expect these kind of temperatures in the future.  However, that by no means makes it a good thing!

Yes, it’s only one day of it though, can’t ignore the largely cool and cloudy summer the UK/NW Europe has suffered, so far. The UK isn’t going to suddenly turn into southern Spain, let’s not get carried away lol  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

August 2020....

• Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Not on a S or SE wind - especially places like gravesend that (before it’s removal) regularly posted hottest temps in the country 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Not on a S or SE wind - especially places like gravesend that (before it’s removal) regularly posted hottest temps in the country 

Even an easterly wind can be quite hot if theres heat on the continent. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
44 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

You wait years for the hottest temp ever then get 2 of the hottest temps ever within 1-year of each other!

Nothing to be happy about at all i'm afraid. Far from it.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Nothing to be happy about at all i'm afraid. Far from it.

Whilst rising tempreatures are a problem, at least this isn't accompanied by a drought or its heat that won't dissipate for weeks. Even with climate change, the impact on UK tempreatures will be moderate compared to most countries. We will be one of the lucky ones. 

• Like 3

Posted

I did think there was a chance of a top 3 finish today based off of what you s really impressive thickness, decent uppers and prolonged sunshine (in recent times such shots have ended up cloudy by 1-2pm.) 

Still, it's a bit surreal that 3 summers in a row have gone 35c+ for maxes, and each one impressive for different reasons.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

A high of 33.8C at the Leeds uni station.

Even during a thoroughly unremarkable summer we’re still experiencing very hot temperatures.

Edited by cheese

Posted

The heat is shifting east now. Lots of 34s/35s from London up to the midlands, to E Anglia and down into Kent. Don't think we'll see any higher than 37.8C, which was a bit of a shock wasn't it! 

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

Flippin heck, although I'm not surprised.  Anyone else have a sneaky suspicion that when the models first sniffed out this hot spike, it would be exceptional?!

I did wonder why the models weren't forecasting 37C based on 20C uppers during day time, but after last June's experience with 25C uppers I decided I would trust the models! 

Until about 7 days ago, in all honesty, I thought this would be one of those Kent clippers and perhaps a 33C. The easterly correction just didn't come. 

Posted

Been cloudy with spots of rain here since about 1.30. Morning was beautiful, touched 30C at lunchtime, could have reached 32-33 but no the mid level cloud and drizzle had to turn up again while the East hogged all the hottest temps. The front was still in Ireland when it turned up! Nearly every one of these plumes does this nowadays, at least we got half a day of hot sunshine unlike 1st July 2015 when it turned up at 8am and wouldn't get lost all day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, cheese said:

A high of 33.8C at the Leeds uni station.

Even during a thoroughly unremarkable summer we’re still experiencing very hot temperatures.

34.0C now.

That’s our second highest temperature of the 21st century after last year’s 35.0C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
32 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

We will be one of the lucky ones. 

I suspect and hope your right,the effect on other countries will be massive sadly.

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

34.0C now.

That’s our second highest temperature of the 21st century after last year’s 35.0C.

3 minutes ago, markyo said:

I suspect and hope your right,the effect on other countries will be massive sadly.

As said its interesting to know the worst case scenarios have been ruled out but that also means the best case scenario has been ruled out.

Honestly though I haven't had timet o worry about climate change with COVID.