Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
8 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Some surprisingly extreme Spring and Summer heat at times in England during the 1700s, especially during the 1770s. There was also a warm period during the 1730s. The Summers of 1826 and 1846 are still some of the hottest recorded for England.

Before anyone jumps on me I'm not saying this is proof or evidence of anything; other than the effects of volcanic eruptions I know next to nothing about how air quality effects temperatures.

Anyway, this is probably a discussion for a different thread.

Not sure if it was discussed on here but the best and worst case scenarios have been ruled out for tempreturate rise with it narrowed to the region of 2.6c-3.9C.

The met office suggests 2018-2022 will be an unusually warm period. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

36.8C (98F) at London Heathrow (Met Office) - UK's 4th hottest day on record, sudden, no gradual build just intense temp. spike with air from Iberia. Convection beginning over N.France

jul31radar3visTS.png

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Jo Farrow said:

36.8C (98F) at London Heathrow (Met Office) - UK's 4th hottest day on record, sudden, no gradual build just intense temp. spike with air from Iberia. Convection beginning over N.France

jul31radar3visTS.png

I’m reliably told it’s now 37.2’C at Heathrow, by a friend who works at the Met Office.

Posted
Just now, Typhoon John said:

How have we suddenly shot up to 37.8C at Heathrow?  It's gone up 1C in a matter of minutes.

Was wondering the same thing it went from being forecast to 33C to that. Is it expected to rise any further?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

This feels surreal.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
Just now, CheesepuffScott said:

This feels surreal.

And disturbing 

Posted
11 minutes ago, sundog said:

Indeed it usually took prolonged heatwaves to achieve those kind of temps in England . Common theme over many recent summers seems to be these short lived intense bursts of heat which can challenge heat records in England or beat them. Strange.  Very strange imo

It makes you wonder just how high we could potentially go during a prolonged heatwave now.  I'm kind of surprised we didn't break the all time record during summer 2018.

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

You wait years for the hottest temp ever then get 2 of the hottest temps ever within 1-year of each other!

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Bloomin heck - THAT'S 100F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flippin heck, although I'm not surprised.  Anyone else have a sneaky suspicion that when the models first sniffed out this hot spike, it would be exceptional?!

Posted
Just now, Don said:

Flippin heck, although I'm not surprised.  Anyone else have a sneaky suspicion that when the models first sniffed out this hot spike, it would be exceptional?!

Is it just me but this hardly feels "exceptional". Feels like every summer in southeastern England in the 21st century.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, qwertyK said:

Is it just me but this hardly feels "exceptional". Feels like every summer in southeastern England in the 21st century.

I would say 100f is pretty exceptional, even in these warmer times!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

You have to think we'll see 40 °C somewhere this decade.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Could be inevitable and to be fair we have been told for some time to expect these kind of temperatures in the future.  However, that by no means makes it a good thing!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Extraordinary.  I don't think anyone say the 100F mark coming.  Massive drop in temperature tomorrow however.

Posted

This a short warm blast, with relatively wet ground and uppers someway off record breaking. Imagine just how hot it could get with the perfect setup  

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Arctic Hare said:

Probably, although it will probably be just a single day like this rather than some drawn out heatwave. Wasn't there that one in the 1800s where it reacehd 40C somewhere and was ridiculously hot for a few days ? They could never verify it obviously. It's surprising to see this sudden warmth after a pretty average and abysmal summer. Still the heat has come a lot later than last year. I'm starting to think august might be a decent month

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
Just now, MattStoke said:

This a short warm blast, with relatively wet ground and uppers someway off record breaking. Imagine just how hot it could get with the perfect setup  

Which makes it all the more strange! And worrying. 

Posted
Just now, Earthshine said:

Extraordinary.  I don't think anyone say the 100F mark coming.  Massive drop in temperature tomorrow however.

I thought London would achieve 35C but not 38.  Indeed, more evidence of climate change having an effect.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't know why everyone is honestly surprised when we have these one day bursts of heat. We knew about this stuff for decades. Howeverf I am pleased that whilts it is hot, it feels far from oppresive at 33-34C and its only one day. Spare a thought for southwestern france where I believe the temps are in the low 40s. 

Edited by qwertyK

Posted

Made it to 33c here, 2c shy of 25th July 2019, it feels much nicer today as well thanks to the moderate breeze 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Don said:

I thought London would achieve 35C but not 38.  Indeed, more evidence of climate change having an effect.

Probably been discussed before, I know they've debunked the theory of an airport but is there any reason for why west London always seems to be the hottest part of the country? I would have thought somewhere more easterly would have been warmer.