Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
36 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Actually reached 21°C here. Second highest temperature this month which is telling.

Friday will save the day.

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like we will see a max hitting the July average for first time Thursday, only had to wait until 30th.. nearly about to see a July when 20 degrees not achieved, can't have been many if any July's even here when 20 degrees not reached, a statistic that tells of just how poor this month has been warmth wise. Two warm days at the end won't salvage it, a summer month for the bin!

• Like 1

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
2020 171 (up to 28th July)
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Working outside today managed an hour have just had to and put on my coat.It is shocking 13 degrees just 2 deg warmer than early January

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Why is Blackpool coast so windy? Last night on my stay there I was walking along the golden mile and it felt really like mid march and very chilly with quite a harsh autumnal wind. Then something strange happened, as i walked further away from the coast into the housing the wind was lost and it started to feel much warmer. It was only when i crossed roads that were exposed to the coast i felt that nagging chilly wind again. Is there a reason for this?

Edited by 38.7°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
1 hour ago, 38.7°C said:

Why is Blackpool coast so windy? Last night on my stay there I was walking along the golden mile and it felt really like mid march and very chilly with quite a harsh autumnal wind. Then something strange happened, as i walked further away from the coast into the housing the wind was lost and it started to feel much warmer. It was only when i crossed roads that were exposed to the coast i felt that nagging chilly wind again. Is there a reason for this?

Sea winds and urban wind flow disturbances (affected by buildings etc..). Yesterday was a windy day anyway, similar things happened here in Sheffield where one particular road was like a bleedin' wind tunnel, and someone's tossed aside takeaway wrappings blew into me at 100 miles an hour.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

So we get one day of miserable excessive heat and it times it perfectly between me having two night shifts! Can't we just get a prolonged period of mid-20s instead of prolonged crap with one blistering day? Everyone wins then!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 28/07/2020 at 14:23, weatherguru14 said:

Just below average and cool ie BBC. I just checked the weather in my garden.. 9.1 c and that's not including the strong NW..

How is that just below average? its the 28th of July for pities sake.

9.1C at 2pm in July!!!    

Are you sure it was correct? Yesterday was pretty chilly tbh but I still managed 13.8C. I've never witnessed single figure temperatures during the day in July before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Chilly overnight then a mixed day of cloud and sunny intervals.  Although the high winds have now abated but still chilly for "high summer".  Be interested to see if tomorrow's promise of half-decent temps comes off.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Tomorrow IMBY looks very nice, Friday too hot and possibly cloudy later, Saturday quite nice again, Sunday back to cool and showery. I'm another who'd be happier with a week of 22-25 °C than this up-and-down. Still, at least it's interesting for a change!

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, it would be much nicer to get a July with consistent lo-mid 20's temps and mostly sunny than one or two 30C days and then loads of cloudy damp sub 20C days. But unfortunately we have to take what we are given sadly.

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Another chilly day, in an endless stream of chilly days. 

Yes it felt chilly outside again today and I had a hoodie on, 15C max despite some sunny spells and no rain. Does anyone know  why it been so unseasonably chilly this summer? (especially further north).

With that temp in mid-summer and no rain you'd think you'd need a northerly wind, but the wind direction has been very westerly this July, which while still cool for the time of year would normally bring temps at least in the high teens if it's not raining.

It's been the coldest July I've ever experienced. Absolutely no warmth whatsoever.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Pleasant here today. It started off sunny, a little cloudier mid-morning and began to clear up again into the afternoon, a high of 22.2°C...

Posted

Looked like it was finally brightening up at 4pm and then- more horrid drizzly rain appears from somewhere. Looks nailed on now that May will have more sun than June and July combined (need the next 2 days to have 15 hours each to prevent it). 2010 had more in June than July and August combined but can't remember May doing it. Unlike June it hasn't been a particularly wet month in July in terms of actual totals, just the number of days and hours with rain has been high. Nothing convective or thundery, just drizzly stuff all the time. And when not raining it's been cloudy all the time- stratus, stratocumulus, altostratus, anything with strat in it and nothing else. 

Will the heatwave come off or will it just be more cloud (a la 1st July 2015)?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Still can't get rid of the cool breeze here although I was further inland for a lot of today which did feel quite a bit warmer. Failed to reach 20°C again here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

The app forecasts for here..Met/Beeb/iPhone

Thursday: 25/25/27

Fri: 27/29/30

Posted
56 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

I'm another who'd be happier with a week of 22-25 °C than this up-and-down. 

Ditto!

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Still can't get rid of the cool breeze here although I was further inland for a lot of today which did feel quite a bit warmer. Failed to reach 20°C again here.

Aye, it's a problem when living on/near the coast, especially for western facing coasts as the wind comes from the west most of the time.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Don said:

Ditto!

This will be another summer that does not reach 40c

Within the next 100  years perhaps, but I don't think so.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

All coastal areas are more windy than inland places, especially when the wind is coming off the sea as there are no barriers to break up/stop the wind. Western facing coasts are the windiest on average as the wind comes from the west most of the time. Blackpool is on the west coast and the wind is westerly at the moment so there is nothing to stop the wind just blasting through.

The reason it feels so cold is because the wind is coming off the cold Irish sea. The sea never really warms up in the UK. The buildings behind the seafront help to block the wind which is why it is less windy as you move further away from the coast. Long straight roads that face the wind with buildings either side help to channel the wind down the road. I've experienced this before in my own local area when walking against the wind on a long straight road. It isn't pleasant at all.

I had the same experience when I went on holiday to Barmouth on the west coast of Wales in August last year, the wind was a persistent moderate/fresh breeze (force 3/4) for nearly the whole time I was there and temperatures remained around 17C but because of the persistent cold winds it felt much colder. It was never warm enough to just wear a t-shirt expect on the last day.One evening while walking back to the hotel the wind was so cold my ears actually felt cold!

I also went to the North East coast in May/June 2018, the wind was north easterly and while the rest of the country was getting warm sunny weather, the east coast got lots of fog and really cold winds coming from off the north sea. Temps were stuck in the low teens.

That said, I have been to Blackpool many times and most of the time the wind wasn't a problem.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

The short lived hot spell will be a welcome change, and I actually don't at all mind hot weather as long as it doesn't go on for too long.
Hopefully, we will get a thunderstorm at some point before the end of summer. Though I shan't be holding my breath.

• Like 2