Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A single very hot day here in Prague today, currently 33°C but the WSW’ly wind is blowing an absolute hoolie! So weird. Back to nearer normal temperatures before some more warmth at the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
1 hour ago, MATT☀️ said:

Regarding the above post.. We had one of the best ever Summers in 2018,and 3 or 4 plume events in an average 2019 Summer.. I can't see how this all adds up to a pathetic climate..

Don't look at the Met Office Facebook page's comments sections. You'd think 2018's summer was a long lost distant summer many decades ago reading the moaning about our summers on there

(and that's before you even get to the Chemtrail comments  )

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

This year has had an amazing summer. It just happened in the spring! The sunshine figures for this spring, at least here in the Midlands, would have put it in the very top rank of summers. Since mid-June I'll agree it has been underwhelming and/or disappointing most of the time. Not in the bottom tier where the likes of 2007 languish, but perhaps in the one above that. It could get bumped up another notch if August is actually decent, though I understand why people are sceptical given August's general record in most recent years.

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted

I’m hoping we can squeeze a warm day out of Saturday for the FA cup final - a few friends were planning on gathering for a bbq to watch it outside. It will be the first time we’ve seen eachother since lockdown.

It looks as though the warm spell has been downgraded to around 40 minutes though so I’m not too hopeful now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
24 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Don't look at the Met Office Facebook page's comments sections. You'd think 2018's summer was a long lost distant summer many decades ago reading the moaning about our summers on there

(and that's before you even get to the Chemtrail comments  )

This is why the Brits are known to be fascinated with the great British weather.. They simply love to moan about it! Its to Hot or its to cold but rarely is anybody satisfied with it mate. 

Just having a laugh to me self.. For most of my life I've been into the weather, for most of my life I worked outdoors in the Building trade. And the amount of folk who would turn round to me on a Hot day and say... I'm sick of this weather now, its driving me mad.. Then a few days later when it had broke down... It would be this weather is driving me crazy now.. It should be better than this at this time of the year! You can't win...

Edited by MATT☀️
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, MATT☀️ said:

This is why the Brits are known to be fascinated with the great British weather.. They simply love to moan about it! Its to Hot or its to cold but rarely is anybody satisfied with it mate. 

Especially when they're moaning is justified. Go back to last summer and especailly 2018, and I didn't hear much moaning at all, only a mate of mine who can't deal with anything above 20C without taking his clothes off, but then he is a bit weird...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

What are people thinking re the highest temperature later this week? I reckon somewhere around the 35C mark, at Heathrow of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
28 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

What are people thinking re the highest temperature later this week? I reckon somewhere around the 35C mark, at Heathrow of course.

Given how the HP will only have had a couple of days to really establish itself, and the heat pump is only really switched on between Thursday AM and Friday afternoon, I don't see how we're going to squeeze out a 35.

My bet would be a max of 32.8 is reached. I could be wrong though of course!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

I'm still betting no 30c in in Sheffield.....or is that praying

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Wet overnight and a mixed day of cloud and sunny intervals.   A max of around 17C isn't anything to write home about.  Now back to the slate grey sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
4 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

This year has had an amazing summer. It just happened in the spring! The sunshine figures for this spring, at least here in the Midlands, would have put it in the very top rank of summers. Since mid-June I'll agree it has been underwhelming and/or disappointing most of the time. Not in the bottom tier where the likes of 2007 languish, but perhaps in the one above that. It could get bumped up another notch if August is actually decent, though I understand why people are sceptical given August's general record in most recent years.

Disapointing since mid June?.The great spring weather ended here on 2nd of June and has been Autumnal and showery since with the exception of 20 to 25th of June.Yes 2007 was very wet but at least had a rather good  2nd half sunny August which is like gold dust these days!

Edited by hillbilly

Posted

Hottest day of the year so far here with a high of 35.3C. There was a 36C registered just a few miles away in Austria (Marchegg), and even a 37C in Vienna (though these are both rounded values).

Summer has finally woken up this second half of July, with the earlier streaks of low-20s maxima and frequent non-thundery rainfall finally vanquished (knock on wood!). There are some meaty-looking storms approaching too this evening. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Hottest day of the year so far here with a high of 35.3C. There was a 36C registered just a few miles away in Austria (Marchegg), and even a 37C in Vienna (though these are both rounded values).

Summer has finally woken up this second half of July, with the earlier streaks of low-20s maxima and frequent non-thundery rainfall finally vanquished (knock on wood!). There are some meaty-looking storms approaching too this evening. 

Well since your summers are extended deep into september you usually get a couple of 25c days even in october am i right? 

Posted
26 minutes ago, Faronstream said:

Well since your summers are extended deep into september you usually get a couple of 25c days even in october am i right? 

Low 20s isn't unusual but 25c+ is. The local weather station only goes back to December 2013, but the only October day to breach 25C is a very late 25.4C on 24th October last year.

In 2018 summer pretty much lasted from April to October. Ironically the most disappointing spell was at the beginning of July when the UK was at the height of its heatwave.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

The sunny spells today were welcome, but that wind was cold! Had to go out with a hoodie for the first time in a few months. Was ok out of the breeze though.

Edited by CheesepuffScott
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

Disapointing since mid June?.The great spring weather ended here on 2nd of June and has been Autumnal and showery since with the exception of 20 to 25th of June.Yes 2007 was very wet but at least had a rather good  2nd half sunny August which is like gold dust these days!

It was often okay for a bit here after the great weather ended. Not amazing by a long chalk, but I don't remember the really gloomy, cool, windy weather setting in properly until after that hot snap you mentioned. I don't recall August 2007 being that good here. Lots of days when the sunshine figures looked decent, but that disguised the fact that it was cool and showery during the day with a sunny late afternoon/early evening arriving when it was too late to have a full day out.

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I actually thought the breeze wasn't as cool here today's it has been and it felt quite nice in the sun. This evening has bee a different matter entirely though once the sun disappeared. Still waiting for a nice warm evening. 

Posted

Rather obvious that the Met Office contingency planners 'forecast' for this summer is going to be very wrong.

Perhaps didn't factor in low solar and la nina.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
49 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

It was often okay for a bit here after the great weather ended. Not amazing by a long chalk, but I don't remember the really gloomy, cool, windy weather setting in properly until after that hot snap you mentioned. I don't recall August 2007 being that good here. Lots of days when the sunshine figures looked decent, but that disguised the fact that it was cool and showery during the day with a sunny late afternoon/early evening arriving when it was too late to have a full day out.

I remember 2007 working on the farm we managed to get good although cool weather in mid August ,plenty to finish a lot of the haymaking that was washed out in July.Although its not been as wet this year it has ben desperately short of good sunny days and the majority of dry days have come at the expence of cool and cloud.

Posted
5 hours ago, Lance M said:

Given how the HP will only have had a couple of days to really establish itself, and the heat pump is only really switched on between Thursday AM and Friday afternoon, I don't see how we're going to squeeze out a 35.

My bet would be a max of 32.8 is reached. I could be wrong though of course!

I wouldn't be surprised to see 34/35C reached somewhere on Friday.  The heat is not far away to our south.

Posted
2 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

There are some meaty-looking storms approaching too this evening.

They haven't disappointed! It's been strobe lights and explosions for the past hour. 

Posted

A max of 16.6c  here today plus when you factor in a 35 knot westerly and showers is just crap. The atlantic is your friend in winter but in summer please do one. Apologies if that sounded like a moan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Actually reached 21°C here. Second highest temperature this month which is telling.