Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

If its any consolation the summer here has been poor to up to now...just heading into literally our first warm spell of the entire year..could breach 30c some point this week..for one of the sunniest cities in Canada its been an exceptionally cloudy year thus far

Didn’t you have some 28-30c days recently? 

I have noticed overall though, just how cold a year it’s been for you. It will be interesting to see if this leads to a much colder winter in the UK and North West Europe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Didn’t you have some 28-30c days recently? 

I have noticed overall though, just how cold a year it’s been for you. It will be interesting to see if this leads to a much colder winter in the UK and North West Europe.

no that's today onwards..forecast 32c and humidex of 37c for tomorrow and 30c today.

Every month since Jan 2019 has been below normal..and have no warm weather at all this year aside the odd day here and there..prior today the hottest day had been 27c in the 2nd week of June

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
21 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

no that's today onwards..forecast 32c and humidex of 37c for tomorrow and 30c today.

Every month since Jan 2019 has been below normal..and have no warm weather at all this year aside the odd day here and there..prior today the hottest day had been 27c in the 2nd week of June

Have you had similar prolonged cool spells before?

Since Canada gets a shorter even if briefer period of core summer, would you expect this to be your primary heatwave or would you expect similar if not greater through August.

Posted
10 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Since Canada gets a shorter even if briefer period of core summer, would you expect this to be your primary heatwave or would you expect similar if not greater through August.

I lived in Toronto about 20 years ago, and their summers are hotter than the UK. Also much warmer than the west of the country, where Cheeky Monkey resides. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Well this July was a load of rubbish. Funny that it might end with 30 degrees after being one of the worst in my life. One hot day then another cold wet Orgasm-dust no doubt?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Another month to add to the poor list,only 4 very good summer months in the last 43,shocking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I lived in Toronto about 20 years ago, and their summers are hotter than the UK. Also much warmer than the west of the country, where Cheeky Monkey resides. 

Places such as Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton have cooler summers than London.

Edited by B87

Posted

Looking very likely to be a one day wonder, any warmth swept away in double quick time and with that goes storm potential, shame.

Hope I am wrong re storms...

• Like 1

Posted

Absolutely appalling month, one of the worst summers I can remember. Just been back from a bike ride and it feels like early October, very autumnal. Not expecting much from this upcoming warm spell either. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

not a 18 month cool spell never seen that before..usually it swings back and forth between cold and warm for about 6-9 month periods at a time...i think what goes on in the Pacific has a big effect here

Where i live the major heatwaves usually come before mid August after that the day time highs and lows start to cool..until mid September when they start accelerating downwards

Posted
35 minutes ago, B87 said:

Places such as Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton have cooler summers than London.

Like I said, the west is cooler in summer, and milder in winter, although they do still manage to get snow.

Posted
10 minutes ago, adam93 said:

Absolutely appalling month, one of the worst summers I can remember. Just been back from a bike ride and it feels like early October, very autumnal. Not expecting much from this upcoming warm spell either. 

We might get a few storms out of this upcoming hot snap. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Doesn’t get much colder than Calgary in winter!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Very wet overnight and when I got up there was a definite autumnal feeling to the morning.  A few sunny periods later on lifted the temp to around 20C which sparked heavy, blustery showers but unfortunately no thundery activity.   Currently clear so I expect tonight could be chilly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

It might be too early to moan about this, but given models are ALL trending away from the plume and 2020 has a beyond-poor track record, I'd say it's pretty safe to be yet again very disappointed by the weather this year in terms of thunderstorms in particular.

Where have all the plumes gone? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Lance M said:

It might be too early to moan about this, but given models are ALL trending away from the plume and 2020 has a beyond-poor track record, I'd say it's pretty safe to be yet again very disappointed by the weather this year in terms of thunderstorms in particular.

Where have all the plumes gone? 

Atlantic is too active nowadays

• Like 1

Posted

Where on Earth has this wind come from today? We're hitting 30-35mph sustained speeds with 40-45mph gusts. Can't ever remember this in July!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Atlantic is too active nowadays

You keep on saying the Atlantic is to active, but it had been fairly mundane through the last couple of Winters.. And in Summer 2018 it was literally dead! And please don't give in hope folks for August.. The current EC46 is pretty promising for some good weather next month also hints of this from Exeter. Regarding this plume I'm expecting 30C on Friday here in the Midlands with perhaps unbroken Sunshine.. So i would say that's a plume, regardless of how shortlived it maybe. 

Regarding the above post.. We had one of the best ever Summers in 2018,and 3 or 4 plume events in an average 2019 Summer.. I can't see how this all adds up to a pathetic climate..

Edited by MATT☀️
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
7 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

summer 2019 was very wet.. people just remember the plumes.. 2018 was the exception rather than the rule. It appears its only the UK that can get 25c in April and 10c in late July/

You seem very pessimistic.  Granted regions of the North have had pretty poor summer weather in recent years, however the current spell of subdued temperatures is the exception rather than the norm.  We've also had the sunniest calender month on record in May so this year has hardly been devoid of sunshine.  Summer is set to return for a time at the end of the working week and we still have plenty of time in August/September (even October) to enjoy some warm, sunny weather.

Posted
40 minutes ago, MATT☀️ said:

You keep on saying the Atlantic is to active, but it had been fairly mundane through the last couple of Winters.. And in Summer 2018 it was literally dead! And please don't give in hope folks for August.. The current EC46 is pretty promising for some good weather next month also hints of this from Exeter. Regarding this plume I'm expecting 30C on Friday here in the Midlands with perhaps unbroken Sunshine.. So i would say that's a plume, regardless of how shortlived it maybe. 

Regarding the above post.. We had one of the best ever Summers in 2018,and 3 or 4 plume events in an average 2019 Summer.. I can't see how this all adds up to a pathetic climate..

Last summer had high pressure build in late June and two plumes in mid to late July. I'd not say it had one in August that I remember.

WG is perhaps being a tad negative since this summer is considerably worse than anything since 2015 so far (only 2 of 8 weeks being any better than average) but it's not without merit. Lack of rain aside, this is as bad as 2011 or 2007 for the sheer lack of warmth. I do agree that some view 2019 with rose tinted eyes, outside the 20th June-10th August period it was very poor here in Yorkshire. 

Lots of hope going into August because of the AAM rise but if it flops or the weather goes downhill again in the second half this summer will be remembered in hush tones up here for heat lovers (great for me, I detest the normal humid warmth between July-Sep and love spring heat so this has been golden).

• Like 1