Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, al78 said:

That's fine, but I don't understand why people want the othe extreme, 25+C for weeks on end with zero rain unless it's a thunderstorm. It is as if they have no idea how crops are grown.

Every branch of Tesco and Sainsbury's has its own replicator, of course... Have you nae been watching Star Trek...you eejit!:oldlaugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
41 minutes ago, markyo said:

Work in medical services,rooms are well over 30c and 100% humidity.

You work in fog, or at the least have condensation running down the walls and dripping from the ceiling? The heat index from well over 30C and 100% humidity would be unlivable for humans if it were part of the climate. I can't help thinking you are sligfhtly exaggerating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
5 minutes ago, al78 said:

That's fine, but I don't understand why people want the othe extreme, 25+C for weeks on end with zero rain unless it's a thunderstorm. It is as if they have no idea how crops are grown.

I am certainly one that would love to have every summer =25 deg for all 3 months and sunny,i dont see why you wouldnt .The chances of that happening without rain is almost impossible and you can still enjoy the other 250 days of 8 deg,wet and windy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
5 minutes ago, al78 said:

You work in fog, or at the least have condensation running down the walls and dripping from the ceiling? The heat index from well over 30C and 100% humidity would be unlivable for humans if it were part of the climate. I can't help thinking you are sligfhtly exaggerating.

Its steam steriliser rooms for operating equipment and tools,hence the forced humidity occurs. Walls and ceiling can be dripping often, not nice at all.

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

I spent 6months travelling threw Egypt in summer in the late 90s.the heat was extreme but without the humidity etc.these heat plumes in the UK are not my cup of tea and I can never understand people wanting this set up given the humidity.the sun people need for a pick me up is still the same in 22 0c?? I also work in the NHS and believe me it's horrific

• Like 1

Posted

The fact that the phrase "I don't understand why people like..." is one of the the most used on this forum is quite telling. 

All you need to understand is that everyone is different and everyone is entitled to like whatever they want. Questioning someone's preferences, especially in the derogatory way that some people do on this forum, is pointless and annoying.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, al78 said:

We had plenty of rain last winter and the early part of spring. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, Sunny76 said:

We had plenty of rain last winter and the early part of spring. 

Yes, that's fine for the reservoirs, but the soils were baked dry by May.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Wynter said:

The fact that the phrase "I don't understand why people like..." is one of the the most used on this forum is quite telling. 

All you need to understand is that everyone is different and everyone is entitled to like whatever they want. Questioning someone's preferences, especially in the derogatory way that some people do on this forum, is pointless and annoying.

It’s a two way street. I’ve had some individuals suggesting I should see a doctor, because I might have poor circulation. That’s a little insulting, just because I disagree with others who favour different weather to myself.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Oh dear. Looks like it will be a cool and wet August this year. WoW. Totally wasn’t expecting that. Not.

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Yes, that's fine for the reservoirs, but the soils were baked dry by May.

Slight exaggeration my friend. In any case, we’ve had plenty of damp weather since then. 

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Its steam steriliser rooms for operating equipment and tools,hence the forced humidity occurs. Walls and ceiling can be dripping often, not nice at all.

Yes, I fully understand how uncomfortable and unbearable it is to work inside an environment where the temperature is much warmer to begin with, and only feels much hotter if the outside temps are high.

Artificial heat is the worst. I know how that feels. 

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Here's something for the heat lovers. Would you relish this? 52C possible in parts of Iraq this week. Basrah could get close to it's all time record of 53C. 

Screenshot_20200725-003351.thumb.png.3d72ec3f860c810d3d8b16f44ac68883.png

Ouch! I think I’d rather have a kick in the sack than have to deal with that!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Slight exaggeration my friend. In any case, we’ve had plenty of damp weather since then. 

Nyet, S76, it's nae an exaggeration at all... I work on the land and can tell you, quite categorically, that it's too damned dry; the sprinklers are running 24/7... What other proof do you need?:wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Work in medical services,rooms are well over 30c and 100% humidity. Masked work is a struggle hence for me wearing masks while also shopping in the high 20s

would only be more draining and depressing. Thankfully at the moment i can't see anything to bad on the cards

I get that the rooms would need to be hot to kill viruses, but why the need for the excessive humidity? Sounds like the conditions you’d expect in a sauna. For someone who hates heat so much, I think you’re working in the wrong profession! You’d be better off working in Iceland! It’s always freezing in there! ❄️

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, I fully understand how uncomfortable and unbearable it is to work inside an environment where the temperature is much warmer to begin with, and only feels much hotter if the outside temps are high.

Artificial heat is the worst. I know how that feels. 

I honestly do feel very sorry for folk like your self this summer, so far it has been awful for those looking for heat, even i've come out of sites a few times to temps i wasn't expecting. Lovely for me but for yourself totally crap i'm sure. August still to go and maybe half of September before your chances have gone, fingers crossed you will get a good spell, i'll just have to hide or suffer, it is Summer after all!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I get that the rooms would need to be hot to kill viruses, but why the excessive humidity?

All sterilisers use steam autoclaves, run at 134c then vent depending on cycle. Its the venting coupling with the heating creates the problem. Most decomm rooms are very small also and CQC regs mean aircon is not allowed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
23 minutes ago, Wynter said:

I was only mentioning the sapping humidity surely isn't enjoyable for anyone in reality

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Nyet, S76, it's nae an exaggeration at all... I work on the land and can tell you, quite categorically, that it's too damned dry; the sprinklers are running 24/7... What other proof do you need?:wallbash:

The Crowden Res set in the pennies is still very low, some areas have not had that much rain this summer. I'm sure folk like yourself are in a better place than most to realise this!

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, markyo said:

The Crowden Res set in the pennies is still very low, some areas have not had that much rain this summer. I'm sure folk like yourself are in a better place than most to realise this!

Average reservoir levels looks fine to me: 

WWW.UNITEDUTILITIES.COM

Details about the levels of water in our main reservoirs - updated weekly

Average to above average in most places.

Posted
17 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Average reservoir levels looks fine to me: 

WWW.UNITEDUTILITIES.COM

Details about the levels of water in our main reservoirs - updated weekly

Average to above average in most places.

I drive over woodhead pass most days,2nd of crowden set is less than half full,top one is also very low. Though still not sure if thats deliberate for maintenance work.

Edited by markyo

Posted
34 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

You’d be better off working in Iceland! It’s always freezing in there! ❄️

I wish i could! ....even if its only the freezer shop as well! But when you are a old grumpy fart like me jobs aren't easy to come by.

• Like 2

Posted
58 minutes ago, Wynter said:

I agree, it's surprising how often people seem to apparently be offended by other people's weather preferences. 

• Like 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, markyo said:

They simply don't get it, Mark... We need rain. And buckets of rain at that!

• Like 1