Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, Thunder Snow said:

To be honest ive enjoyed this summer warm and sunny for most of lockdown, with some warmer spells in May and June. Just right amount of heat and humidity ive not felt uncomfortable this year.

The early part of the lockdown wasn’t summer. Yes, it was a sunny spring with some warm weather mixed with cooler days, and very sunny.

So far summer 2020 has been poor. Too many cloudy days for my liking.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

The early part of the lockdown wasn’t summer. Yes, it was a sunny spring with some warm weather mixed with cooler days, and very sunny.

So far summer 2020 has been poor. Too many cloudy days for my liking.

most of lockdown from Mar 24th, was warmer and sunnier than most of so called summer

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

most of lockdown from Mar 24th, was warmer and sunnier than most of so called summer

Yes it was, but it was at a time when one couldn’t enjoy the weather properly, due to the restrictions. The main summer has been a letdown since the start of June.

I will admit though, the spring was lovely and sunny. Loads of clear blue sky mornings and evenings, that seemed to last forever. People on here were moaning about it, and I could never understand why.

I miss this long sunny days with uninterrupted clear skies. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 hours ago, markyo said:

Really praying this summer stays as it is,the thought of a August heat wave or even temps into the high twenties is awful. The usage of masks at work is bad enough,10hrs a day at times but wearing them for shopping in  such high heat would be a nightmare, would make life in this year even more depressing and awful.

Sorry but are you for real? We've had an atrocious summer so far and to have a few weeks of warm (not boiling hot) dry and sunny weather isn't too much to ask is it? This gloomy and damp weather is a lot more depressing to most people than heat and sun.

Having to wear a mask for 10 hours a day does seem excessive though, so I can sympathise there. Are you a medical worker?

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
3 hours ago, al78 said:

Needs??

Why does it need to be a decent month? What are the consequences if it isn't?

For the sake of our mental health and our sanity perhaps?

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

East Lancs last 24 hours:

Max: 19.3

Min: 10.4

Rain: 0.2 mm

Sun: 3 hrs 20 mins

Partly Cloudy morning and afternoon with some sunny intervals but also fairly cloudy. Overcast evening. Feeling warmer than recently.

Posted
5 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

For the sake of our mental health and our sanity perhaps?

Thank god someone supports my opinion towards summer preferences.

It does feel like too many folk on here want us to live in a permanent cloudy damp and cool environment.

People need sunshine and warmth during the lighter months. It boosts your immune system. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
Just now, Sunny76 said:

It does feel like too many folk on here want us to live in a permanent cloudy damp and cool environment.

People need sunshine and warmth during the lighter months. It boosts your immune system. 

The funny thing is that most of these people already live in cloudy damp and cool parts of the country lol. Not sure what the problem is...

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

East Lancs last 24 hours:

Max: 19.3

Min: 10.4

Rain: 0.2 mm

Sun: 3 hrs 20 mins

Partly Cloudy morning and afternoon with some sunny intervals but also fairly cloudy. Overcast evening. Feeling warmer than recently.

It does feel warm in london this evening. The last couple of nights have been quite humid, around the 16-17c mark, but nothing oppressive. The hottest period was definitely that late june hot snap. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Indeed. Not a fan of heat but the last few weeks here have been diabolical. Chilly, damp and cloudy most of the time. Don't mind that in Autumn and Winter but in the so-called Summer I expect better.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, MP-R said:

The funny thing is that most of these people already live in cloudy damp and cool parts of the country lol. Not sure what the problem is...

The problem is, just because you live in a damp cloudy cool part of the country, doesn’t automatically mean you will appreciate the damp weather. I was born in this country, and I loathe the wet and windy weather, and never been a fan of long cloudy periods. It’s just boring and unpleasant weather for me.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Indeed. Not a fan of heat but the last few weeks here have been diabolical. Chilly, damp and cloudy most of the time. Don't mind that in Autumn and Winter but in the so-called Summer I expect better.

Agreed.

Posted
5 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Yes it is odd how most of the complaints about the weather being too cool, too cloudy, too windy or too rainy seem to come from Southerners and Londoners (who on average get the warmest, driest and sunniest weather) and yet quite a few people living in cooler/cloudier/wetter parts of the country who enjoy the cool wet conditions and worrying about heatwaves, even though any heat they do get is unlikely to be as intense as it is in the south east.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

The problem is, just because you live in a damp cloudy cool part of the country, doesn’t automatically mean you will appreciate the damp weather. I was born in this country, and I loathe the wet and windy weather, and never been a fan of long cloudy periods. It’s just boring and unpleasant weather for me.

Well yes, I'm referring to those who live in cool cloudy damp parts of the country, and moan about anything OTHER than that., when realistically the former conditions are more likely anyway.

I like sun and warmth in the warmer half of the year too, so I will never live that far north of the M4 if I stay in this country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Here's something for the heat lovers. Would you relish this? 52C possible in parts of Iraq this week. Basrah could get close to it's all time record of 53C. 

Screenshot_20200725-003351.thumb.png.3d72ec3f860c810d3d8b16f44ac68883.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

On a slight tangent, we need to define phrases like "cool, damp and cloudy". From afar it seems to me that northwestern parts are having a much more "cool, damp and cloudy" July than normal. Come the end of the month it's the anomaly maps which will show who has truly got the crap end of the stick, not the absolute values.

What a southerner might consider normal "sun and warmth" I would probably consider "cool, damp and cloudy" here. And what I consider "sunny and warm" here would undoubtedly be "cool, damp and cloudy" in somewhere like Ahvaz or In Salah (EDIT - or Basra for that matter!).

I grew up in NW England, and while summers down south are better (from a warmie's perspective) the difference is nowhere near enough for me to have ever wanted to move there for weather reasons.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
17 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Here's something for the heat lovers. Would you relish this? 52C possible in parts of Iraq this week. Basrah could get close to it's all time record of 53C. 

52c is too cold for me :olddb:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, Zak M said:

52c is too cold for me :olddb:

I like heat but that would be pushing it

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Sorry but are you for real? We've had an atrocious summer so far and to have a few weeks of warm (not boiling hot) dry and sunny weather isn't too much to ask is it? This gloomy and damp weather is a lot more depressing to most people than heat and sun.

Having to wear a mask for 10 hours a day does seem excessive though, so I can sympathise there. Are you a medical worker?

Work in medical services,rooms are well over 30c and 100% humidity. Masked work is a struggle hence for me wearing masks while also shopping in the high 20s

would only be more draining and depressing. Thankfully at the moment i can't see anything to bad on the cards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, markyo said:

Work in medical services,rooms are well over 30c and 100% humidity. Masked work is a struggle hence for me wearing masks while also shopping in the high 20s

would only be more draining and depressing. Thankfully at the moment i can't see anything to bad on the cards

You may be a gurney old sod, Mark (so am I!:oldlaugh:) but your opinions are as valid as anyone else's... I spent yesterday morning weeding inside a polytunnel, and, gee, was it betty swollocks in there! Hot sunshine, I can take, but horrible, cloudy humidity is another thing altogether...?:help:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
13 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

You may be a gurney old sod, Mark

Thats the nicest thing anybodies every called me!! Thank you! Weeding in a polytunnel would not be fun at this time of year in direct sunlight!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
8 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

My friends uncle Lives in Perth ,Australia which often gets +40 deg on many summer days and he worked in the iron foundry there.He said the heat was horrendous and would prey the wind came off the cooler ocean than from inland each day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
10 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

That's fine, but I don't understand why people want the othe extreme, 25+C for weeks on end with zero rain unless it's a thunderstorm. It is as if they have no idea how crops are grown.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
10 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes it is odd how most of the complaints about the weather being too cool, too cloudy, too windy or too rainy seem to come from Southerners and Londoners (who on average get the warmest, driest and sunniest weather) and yet quite a few people living in cooler/cloudier/wetter parts of the country who enjoy the cool wet conditions and worrying about heatwaves, even though any heat they do get is unlikely to be as intense as it is in the south east.

It is deviation from average that matters, combined with the fact that at this time of year we have reached the climatological peak in temperrature, so on average the weather is only going to go downhill. At least if Winter and Spring is poor, you can hope for nice weather in summer. Wouldn't you say those who were flooded out in the relentless February rains are justified in complaining about it?

Edited by al78
  • Like 1