Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

A year ago tonight was a warm, sleepless night thanks to storms breaking out

Thurs 25th was over 30 degrees in places away from extreme NW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

mosquitos here as well, 2nd summer with bites, didn't have a problem before 2019 summer

A few years ago I used to think mosquitos were something you only got in India. Then one night in summer 2018 when I had left my bedroom window open because it was hot, when I was drifting off to sleep when I heard this distinctive high pitched buzzing noise. I was using my phone/tablet in bed and noticed it was attracted to the light, so I switched if off and covered my head with the blanket, then it went away. Have also heard mosquitoes in the bathroom on hot summer nights. Haven't seen or heard any this year. Never got bit as far as I'm aware, thankfully we don't have the malaria carrying kind in this country, otherwise we'd all have to keep our windows closed at night and have a mosquito net covering the bed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

A few years ago I used to think mosquitos were something you only got in India. Then one night in summer 2018 when I had left my bedroom window open because it was hot, when I was drifting off to sleep when I heard this distinctive high pitched buzzing noise. I was using my phone/tablet in bed and noticed it was attracted to the light, so I switched if off and covered my head with the blanket, then it went away. Have also heard mosquitoes in the bathroom on hot summer nights. Haven't seen or heard any this year. Never got bit as far as I'm aware, thankfully we don't have the malaria carrying kind in this country, otherwise we'd all have to keep our windows closed at night and have a mosquito net covering the bed.

and we'd be in quarantine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
42 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

There is talk of a hot plume in the MOD thread, things backing west.

IMO it will end up a Kent Clipper, with sadly no storms for me.

Atlantic too strong thus plume has no chance to sustain for more than a day.

Maybe later in the month perhaps, not holding my breath though for this August,  who would?

No chance of good weather in August.  It will fail to reach 30c here, and of course will be cloudy and wet.

Posted
10 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Mosquitoes have always been a part of UK summers.

Posted
28 minutes ago, B87 said:

Are they dangerous though?

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Are they dangerous though?

No

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
2020 172 (up to 23rd July)
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190

If the rest of summer had an average maximum of 20C, no more rain days and 12 hours of sunshine per day, the index will be high as 250  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

With 54 days of summer 2020 so far we are having our 7th day of summer weather

Posted
9 hours ago, B87 said:

Have to agree for my locale in the SE anyway. A someone the mosquitos seem particularly fond of I’ve had many years covered in bites. One year a bite turned into cellulitis- that wasn’t fun. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Coopsy said:

Have to agree for my locale in the SE anyway. A someone the mosquitos seem particularly fond of I’ve had many years covered in bites. One year a bite turned into cellulitis- that wasn’t fun. 

Malaria used to be endemic in the SE and East Anglia up until the 19th century, when all the marshes were drained.

• Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, B87 said:

Malaria used to be endemic in the SE and East Anglia up until the 19th century, when all the marshes were drained.

Indeed - Shakespeare makes reference to it in a few of his works. Known as ague back then I remember a line in King Henry IV  'This praise doth nourish agues'

A lot of the areas very close to where I live now was plagued with malaria - places such as Upchurch, Iwade and as you mention marshy places along the Thames, have been referenced historically. 

We're quite fortunate now not to be plagued by it. We only have to put up with pandemic outbreaks of a global scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Yes, can remember seeing lots of mosquitoes growing up in Essex, especially their larvae which you could find in abundance in standing water.

Posted
13 hours ago, B87 said:

No

Good

Posted

Partly cloudy with intermittent sun, no warmth though sadly. It’s been the worst summer for lack of warmth and sun that I can remember, even in 2012 I can remember the occasional warm/hot day.

Next week looks very mediocre at best, very mixed, temps below 20°C, showers or rain at times, sun at times.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Really praying this summer stays as it is,the thought of a August heat wave or even temps into the high twenties is awful. The usage of masks at work is bad enough,10hrs a day at times but wearing them for shopping in  such high heat would be a nightmare, would make life in this year even more depressing and awful.

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Really praying this summer stays as it is,the thought of a August heat wave or even temps into the high twenties is awful. The usage of masks at work is bad enough,10hrs a day at times but wearing them for shopping in  such high heat would be a nightmare, would make life in this year even more depressing and awful.

That’s a fair point, but we do need more sunshine and warm weather. 

August needs to be a decent month, and hopefully a more summery one. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
14 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

That’s a fair point, but we do need more sunshine and warm weather. 

August needs to be a decent month, and hopefully a more summery one. 

Needs??

Why does it need to be a decent month? What are the consequences if it isn't?

I'd be grateful for a decent weekend. Last week, Sunday was poor, this weekend Saturday is a washout. Another poke in the eye for people with weekday jobs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Out with a friend today and had a chance of catching some rays as we had mostly blue skies with fair weather Cu and a max of 23C.  Back home it's 20C and cloudy and according to Netweather's forecast we've spell of torrential rain tonight to look forward to.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Certainly no heat wave showing, METO updates indicate the same.

• Thanks 1

Posted

To be honest ive enjoyed this summer warm and sunny for most of lockdown, with some warmer spells in May and June. Just right amount of heat and humidity ive not felt uncomfortable this year.