IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Another belter of a summer's day here.

Posted
16 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Looks like a nice area. Where is this?

I love having a long country or coastline walk.

This is between Beer and Branscombe in East Devon. One of my favourite parts of the coast around here.

Sea breeze was a bit stronger yesterday and 19-20C right on the coast but hopefully not too chilly. 20C at 8:30pm at my location as the sea breeze died which was quite pleasant.

A nice enough morning today, more cloud and maybe showery bits of rain coming in though.

Posted

Apologies for complaining yesterday about it raining and being only 16.5c on a July afternoon. This afternoon its raining and 15c so I'd like to change my complaint to today instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I was going to complain it’s only 18°C and breezy but maybe I should be grateful compared to other areas 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I took a break from the weather for a week or so under the hopes things would start to improve and boy was I wrong. We're still 3.5°C below average max temps here and no improvements at all, just more cold, windy, grey, drizzly rubbish every day. This summer is the one that will inspire me to finally move to France. Nothing more to say.

I have found this month to be worse than July 2012 as well locally, and about as bad as July 2007 - yes this month has not been "wet", but it has been exceptionally cloudy, and much colder than 2012. The constant dullness does a number on my brain chemicals, I am actually getting summer SAD not due to heat and sun but the constant gloom and cold weather. August will stink too by the looks of it so as far as I'm concerned this year has had no summer. Spring was spring, good as it was. Summer never started here.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Thundershine said:

I took a break from the weather for a week or so under the hopes things would start to improve and boy was I wrong. We're still 3.5°C below average max temps here and no improvements at all, just more cold, windy, grey, drizzly rubbish every day. This summer is the one that will inspire me to finally move to France. Nothing more to say.

I have found this month to be worse than July 2012 as well locally, and about as bad as July 2007 - yes this month has not been "wet", but it has been exceptionally cloudy, and much colder than 2012. The constant dullness does a number on my brain chemicals, I am actually getting summer SAD not due to heat and sun but the constant gloom and cold weather. August will stink too by the looks of it so as far as I'm concerned this year has had no summer. Spring was spring, good as it was. Summer never started here.

Agree with everything you say. Been a complete non-summer here too. Mean max just 16.0C around 3.5 - 4C below average. Have been depressed too. Currently taking anti-depressants but not helping.

• Like 1

Posted

For me, its the sunshine levels that have been so bad for this summer so far around here The first three weeks of July have been atrocious in terms of sunshine and this followed a less than brilliant June 

For instance: Leconfield, 53.6hrs of sunshine so far this July. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

30c+ looking on cards here for early next week..just to rub it in 

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

For me, its the sunshine levels that have been so bad for this summer so far around here The first three weeks of July have been atrocious in terms of sunshine and this followed a less than brilliant June 

For instance: Leconfield, 53.6hrs of sunshine so far this July. 

Thats my nearest station and we aren't faring much better with 58.2hrs. 

The dullest July here is 2000 on 138hrs so it looks like we're going to finish lower than that by quite some way. I don't think we've ever had a summer month under 100hrs so it could be a new rather unwanted record.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It’s been a warm and sunny week in London, but nothing special. 21-22c with long sunny spells since Monday, and today was much warmer at 25c and slightly more humid. Becoming cloudy again though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Another day where it struggled to reach 20°C. It did just about make it but hardly lasted any time at all before it dropped back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
20 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s been a warm and sunny week in London, but nothing special. 21-22c with long sunny spells since Monday, and today was much warmer at 25c and slightly more humid. Becoming cloudy again though.

5 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Another day where it struggled to reach 20°C. It did just about make it but hardly lasted any time at all before it dropped back.

Lucky you(s). Completely overcast with periods of rain and drizzle again today. Max 15.4C... These damp, chilly, dark, sunless days are the worst in what is supposed to be "high summer" (and there have been a lot of them this summer). Still not reached 20C yet here this July. Could be a new (unwanted) record for me.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Lucky you(s). Completely overcast with periods of rain and drizzle again today. Max 15.4C... These damp, chilly, dark, sunless days are the worst in what is supposed to be "high summer" (and there have been a lot of them this summer). Still not reached 20C yet here this July. Could be a new (unwanted) record for me.

Had that too this afternoon although it was a bit brighter this morning. 

Posted

Well I’ve managed to get a t shirt tan this week from the walking. Predominantly sunny all week with warm to very warm days (for me) up to 25oC during the warmest spells. And cool nights. Perfect. Very lucky and I have really appreciated it. We’ll see what this weekend brings for this corner of the world. Here’s hoping next week everyone gets to share in some warmth and sun ☀️ 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

30c+ looking on cards here for early next week..just to rub it in 

How’s them mosquitoes

Posted
21 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

How’s them mosquitoes

Huge mosquito problem here at the moment and it's been a largely disappointing summer so far. Only 8 days above 30C, which might please some people living in London or some other place with cool summers () but I expect better. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
12 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Huge mosquito problem here at the moment and it's been a largely disappointing summer so far. Only 8 days above 30C, which might please some people living in London or some other place with cool summers () but I expect better. 

mosquitos here as well, 2nd summer with bites, didn't have a problem before 2019 summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Not warm then, below average yet again.

August shaping up to be dire, not even reaching 30c.

I'm in Halifax at the moment and it's been freezing cold with a brisk wind all day.

Edited by B87

Posted
6 minutes ago, B87 said:

Not warm then, below average yet again.

August shaping up to be dire, not even reaching 30c.

I'm in Halifax at the moment and it's been freezing cold with a brisk wind all day.

There is talk of a hot plume in the MOD thread, things backing west.

IMO it will end up a Kent Clipper, with sadly no storms for me.

Atlantic too strong thus plume has no chance to sustain for more than a day.

Maybe later in the month perhaps, not holding my breath though for this August,  who would?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Since last weekend the weather has improved significantly here in Horsham (except Sunday which was a miserable drizzlefest). I've just looked at the data from my logger in my greenhouse on the allotment, and it gives clues as to why my dwarf beans are looking sickly. I have the door and a roof vent open to minimise daytime overheating but the overnight temperature has been dropping below 6C on a few nights. This is very poor for mid July in SE England away from any frost pockets.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
24 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

There is talk of a hot plume in the MOD thread, things backing west.

IMO it will end up a Kent Clipper, with sadly no storms for me.

Atlantic too strong thus plume has no chance to sustain for more than a day.

Maybe later in the month perhaps, not holding my breath though for this August,  who would?

Aye, models more likely to trend east, probably under playing the Atlantic