Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
26 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

August 10, 2003..... 

Aye, 9th was hottest here, front from the NW arrived early on 10th, was only 19 degrees I think

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Assuming I record 160 sun hours for July (we just passed the 100 mark today), August will need to record at least 128 hours to equal 2012's sunshine total.

That means there is a good chance that this summer will end up cloudier than 2012 here!

Posted
15 minutes ago, B87 said:

Back when August was a proper summer month. In the 17 years since then, August has reached 34c once and plenty of times has failed to even reach 30c.

It’s quite unbelievable that it’s been 17 years since the last decent August. Last year wasn’t bad, but seemed better because of the amazing bank holiday weekend.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

It’s quite unbelievable that it’s been 17 years since the last decent August. Last year wasn’t bad, but seemed better because of the amazing bank holiday weekend.

Since 2005, only Augusts 2013, 2016, 2018 and 2019 could be considered decent, with 2016 and 2019 the best of those. August 2009 and 2012 had temps around average, but were either wet or cloudy. The rest have been poor or very poor (especially 2008, 2010 and 2015).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

I didn’t have any problems with August 2018/19.. 2019 was helped by that hot spell at the end in time for the Bank Holiday... think most of the rain here was in the middle of the month. Can’t remember 2017 too well but think we had a hot day or two, and 2016 was a good August from my memory. Obviously they could be warmer, drier and sunnier but I didn’t regard them as HORRIBLE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

between 1970 - 2020 the best set of Augusts for Max temp i could find is 1995-99 with an average of 24.38c..surprisingly this if followed by 2015-19 at 23.66c and then 1990-94 at 23.28c..seems that August has always been hit and miss particularly prior to 1990

• Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

between 1970 - 2020 the best set of Augusts for Max temp i could find is 1995-99 with an average of 24.38c..surprisingly this if followed by 2015-19 at 23.66c and then 1990-94 at 23.28c..seems that August has always been hit and miss particularly prior to 1990

London's August average high is 23.2c for 81-10, either 23.3c or 23.4c for 91-20.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Colder than some winter mornings out there this morning. Grotesque. 

Clear blue sky,light breeze,lovely and fresh.....Yep Grotesque

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

It’s nice and sunny, but could do with being warmer. Does have that late August/early September feel. 

Still confident we will get a hot spell in August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Minimum of 10.2C last night. Only one or two nights were warmer than that in winter.

Lovely and sunny, but as mentioned, quite a September feel.

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

7 degrees would’ve been approaching ‘hot’ for you though wouldn’t it? 

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

Yuck. It’s good for sleeping, I guess but summer evenings are lovely for sitting out without having to rug up like an Eskimo 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yuck. It’s good for sleeping, I guess but summer evenings are lovely for sitting out without having to rug up like an Eskimo 

My thoughts entirely - I’ve only been able to do that a few times this summer (during the hot spell in June) - otherwise I’ve been sat outside before bed wrapped up in a jumper and dressing gown with the hood up because of the keen cool breeze and the house is chilly. The heating came on this morning. 

• Like 2

Posted
12 hours ago, B87 said:

Back when August was a proper summer month. In the 17 years since then, August has reached 34c once and plenty of times has failed to even reach 30c.

Never say never though...To be fair I never remembered good Augusts when on school holiday. It's almost like the weather says 'right you've got 6 weeks with the kids, let's make it miserable' lol

Posted
5 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Never say never though...To be fair I never remembered good Augusts when on school holiday. It's almost like the weather says 'right you've got 6 weeks with the kids, let's make it miserable' lol

I remember Augusts almost always delivered when I was at school. Guaranteed hot spells and sunny most days. Even in the terrible summers of 1998, 2000 and 2002, August always managed to be normal.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
16 minutes ago, Azazel said:

My thoughts entirely - I’ve only been able to do that a few times this summer (during the hot spell in June) - otherwise I’ve been sat outside before bed wrapped up in a jumper and dressing gown with the hood up because of the keen cool breeze and the house is chilly. The heating came on this morning. 

It’s frustrating, isn’t it? Not been much better here in Prague, can count the number of proper warm evenings on one hand this summer. Not asking for much, it’s not like we have the other 9 months of the year for warm evenings lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, B87 said:

I remember Augusts almost always delivered when I was at school. Guaranteed hot spells and sunny most days. Even in the terrible summers of 1998, 2000 and 2002, August always managed to be normal.

Yup, I noticed a change when I started secondary school in 2003. Augusts after that, other than 2005, were poor or bland. Before that, at least half of the month or the majority would be nice eg 2002 where it was the best month of the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
6 hours ago, markyo said:

Fantastic summer weather for me so far with not many days above 20c. Plenty of rain too. Lovely.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, simshady said:

Fantastic summer weather for me so far with not many days above 20c. Plenty of rain too. Lovely.

I totally agree, so far has beaten the last few summers easily for comfortable usable weather, fingers crossed it stays the same for the rest of the season, nothing on the horizon so looking good!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

As I said last night in the other thread I can only remember 3 properly warm evenings so far this summer. Some evenings lately have been noticeably cool for the time of year.

Posted
7 hours ago, Azazel said:

Yes. Even this current warm sunny weather isn’t warm enough for sitting outside in the evening. It’s not hot enough.

Last Friday and Saturday evening were ok for being outside in the evening, because the nights were warmish, but there’s only been a handful of those nights this summer.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

As I said last night in the other thread I can only remember 3 properly warm evenings so far this summer. Some evenings lately have been noticeably cool for the time of year.

1 hour ago, markyo said:

I totally agree, so far has beaten the last few summers easily for comfortable usable weather, fingers crossed it stays the same for the rest of the season, nothing on the horizon so looking good!

Uncomfortable for people who enjoy relaxing in the garden or outside in the warm sunshine. It’s not been warm enough to walk around without a jacket at times.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, MP-R said:

Yup, I noticed a change when I started secondary school in 2003. Augusts after that, other than 2005, were poor or bland. Before that, at least half of the month or the majority would be nice eg 2002 where it was the best month of the summer.

2002 wasn’t great at all. I remember that August was fairly disappointing even in London. 2001 had some hot weather, but August was a bit hit and miss that year also. 2003 and 2005 were decent Augusts.