Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

26°C has been the highest IMBY all month... had 32°C last month. doesn't look like we will hit 30°C this month unless something pops up out of the blue.

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

But we have still done badly compared to what we are used to and expect.

I guess the positive side to things is, nobody is complaining about a drought. And the air quality in London is probably slightly better.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I guess the positive side to things is, nobody is complaining about a drought. And the air quality in London is probably slightly better.

No drought conditions but it's one of the driest Summer's I have recorded down here for a while. The flower beds are dust less than 24 hours after watering!

Something else I have noted, being the owner of quite a large Koi pond, is that I have seen huge evaporation amounts this year, more than I can remember. Ground is extremely dry and the recent forest fire near me is proof of that.

Posted
20 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

True, it is at least easy to sleep at nights. and whilst this feels like a cold summer, it is actually mostly average. Just goes to show how hot summers for the last two years have been that we're used to +30C weather for days on end. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

True, it is at least easy to sleep at nights. and whilst this feels like a cold summer, it is actually mostly average. Just goes to show how hot summers for the last two years have been that we're used to +30C weather for days on end. 

July has been below average so far. Only 4 days have been above here.

Not to mention the incredible lack of sunshine.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, B87 said:

For the whole UK though, ihe current CET is just a little over 1C below average. I guess given a warming climate that is more significant an anomaly than say 1C warmer than average. I wonder what August will bring, maybe the heat will arrive then. We had a couple of days of 30-32C in East Anglia but nothing more. 

Posted
Just now, qwertyK said:

For the whole UK though, ihe current CET is just a little over 1C below average. I guess given a warming climate that is more significant an anomaly than say 1C warmer than average. I wonder what August will bring, maybe the heat will arrive then. We had a couple of days of 30-32C in East Anglia but nothing more. 

I'm not talking about the CET, I'm talking about the climate where I am. Up until a few days ago, the July average max was running 2c below normal. It's now about 1.5c below normal.

Hopefully we get the long overdue hot, sunny August. Lets face it though, August will be cool, wet and cloudy as always.

Posted
Just now, B87 said:

I'm not talking about the CET, I'm talking about the climate where I am. Up until a few days ago, the July average max was running 2c below normal. It's now about 1.5c below normal.

Hopefully we get the long overdue hot, sunny August. Lets face it though, August will be cool, wet and cloudy as always.

Oh yes, its way colder here than it should be. This is about the forth day where tempreatures have failed to make it to 20C. Minima also running 4C below average at 9C. 

I feel like august could be the warmest month, or at least, warmer than july but i can't see anything incredible. Hey, you never know maybe we'll have an indian summer. 2016's hottest day was in September 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Oh yes, its way colder here than it should be. This is about the forth day where tempreatures have failed to make it to 20C. Minima also running 4C below average at 9C. 

I feel like august could be the warmest month, or at least, warmer than july but i can't see anything incredible. Hey, you never know maybe we'll have an indian summer. 2016's hottest day was in September 

It wouldn't (or shouldn't) be difficult for August to be better than July, though that isn't saying much. August 2007 was the best month of that summer, but it was still very poor. At least make it to 200 hours for once.

Hopefully at some point soon we will get a run of more normal, or even good Augusts.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
9 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ve had to wear a light jacket or a fleece, or jumper when I’ve been walking round

Ahh! the same ones you were telling us about in winter when you thought 12/13c was chilly as there was some wind?....I wonder when they will next make an appearance?

Posted
1 minute ago, B87 said:

It wouldn't (or shouldn't) be difficult for August to be better than July, though that isn't saying much. August 2007 was the best month of that summer, but it was still very poor. At least make it to 200 hours for once.

Hopefully at some point soon we will get a run of more normal, or even good Augusts.

June was okay although some chilly days. I think summer started in mid April and ended in late June. I've literally seen toadstools and other fungi out which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be out until October. Maybe I'm wrong though

• Like 1

Posted

June was okay although some chilly days. I think summer started in mid April and ended in late June. I've literally seen toadstools and other fungi out which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be out until October. Maybe I'm wrong though

Hopefully we get a September with average highs above 23c, because it doesn't look like July or August will even be able to achieve that this year. Or maybe a record warm October.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, B87 said:

Hopefully we get a September with average highs above 23c, because it doesn't look like July or August will even be able to achieve that this year. Or maybe a record warm October.

Probably a bit early, but Gav's weather blog suggesting a cool to cold autumn and early winter dominated by northwesterlies, with early snow and frost. 

I didn't like october 2018, it doesn't feel right to have 25C weather in october. 

Edited by qwertyK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Cloud now melted away that will lead to an unseasonably cold night.  Wish this polar maritime air flow will do one. 

Annoying that, would be better if it happened the other way around. Alough we've had plenty of sunny spells here today. Temperatures disappointing though, only 16C max, come on, it's July for gods sake, not September! should be getting to at least 20C when the suns out.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, qwertyK said:

Probably a bit early, but Gav's weather blog suggesting a cool to cold autumn and early winter dominated by northwesterlies, with early snow and frost. 

I didn't like october 2018, it doesn't feel right to have 25C weather in october. 

So a poor summer, poor autumn and poor winter all round then. Hopefully 2021 will have something a bit more normal.

Hopefully we get at least one hot August with more than 200 hours of sun in the 2020s.

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, B87 said:

Not to mention the incredible lack of sunshine.

Yes this is the problem I have. I’ll take warm nights, if it means we have some proper sun and warmth.

The last couple of nights have been quite warm, but not oppressive. 

Posted
Just now, B87 said:

So a poor summer, poor autumn and poor winter all round then. Hopefully 2021 will have something a bit more normal.

Hopefully we get at least one hot August with more than 200 hours of sun in the 2020s.

Depends on what you like I guess. I like cold weather...but not in summer. Autumn is fine though. I'm just hoping for a decent winter in 2021, I mean it can't be worse than 2020s. Even 2019 with that ridiculous spell of warm weather in late february was better. At least January was very cold

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes this is the problem I have. I’ll take warm nights, if it means we have some proper sun and warmth.

The last couple of nights have been quite warm, but not oppressive. 

What has been really annoying - the cool days have been accompanied by cool nights as well, even with the constant cloud cover.

Posted

Depends on what you like I guess. I like cold weather...but not in summer. Autumn is fine though. I'm just hoping for a decent winter in 2021, I mean it can't be worse than 2020s. Even 2019 with that ridiculous spell of warm weather in late february was better. At least January was very cold

I like average or warmer in all months.

Hopefully we finally get an August like 2003 at some point over the next decade. Or even a normal one like 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005 (3 of which were sunnier than any August since).

Even the 'good' Augusts of recent years were unremarkable.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, B87 said:

I like average or warmer in all months.

It's been warmer than average, sometimes signfiicantly, basically every month this year . -

Posted
1 minute ago, qwertyK said:

It's been warmer than average, sometimes signfiicantly, basically every month this year . -

I like my summer months with 200 hours of sun or more. Not 80 odd with only 1/3 of the month to go.

July has not been warm at all, other than a handful of days.

Posted
26 minutes ago, B87 said:

What has been really annoying - the cool days have been accompanied by cool nights as well, even with the constant cloud cover.

Yes that’s been a big issue. The cloud cover does take away the summery feel to things.

Posted
23 minutes ago, B87 said:

I like my summer months with 200 hours of sun or more. Not 80 odd with only 1/3 of the month to go.

July has not been warm at all, other than a handful of days.

Yes, cold in the winter, and hot in the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Looks like we could be in for a decent August this year if you believe this lad:

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Looks like we could be in for a decent August this year if you believe this lad:

I don't believe anyone that says we are going to get a decent August. 26c average highs and well over 200 hours required at this point, considering how long we have waited.