Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Why is it so difficult to understand that a 20-22c and cloudy month is poor if the normal conditions are 24c and partly cloudy? Or would residents of places like Brisbane not be able to complain if they only had 25-27c in mid-summer?

Because it’s a very pleasant temperature and I’m sure it’s not as cloudy and miserable as you lot keep making out. I had plenty of mostly cloudy days in the Lo 20’s last July and August and it felt perfect - not too hot and not too cold. Warm enough for shorts and a t-shirt. And London usually gets a spell of uncomfortably hot conditions 28°C+ a few times each summer on average but this year we’ve only had the three or so days in late June. But no one seems to be talking about that...

The residents of Brisbane (or anywhere for that matter) would be extremely foolish and ungrateful to complain of 25C temps in summer, considering how dangerously hot it can get (need I remind anyone of the devastating wildfires they had in their last summer?). I’m sure if their next summer mainly consisted of 25-27C temps they would be very grateful indeed...

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
8 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Because it’s a very pleasant temperature and I’m sure it’s not as cloudy and miserable as you lot keep making out. I had plenty of mostly cloudy days in the Lo 20’s last July and August and it felt perfect - not too hot and not too cold. Warm enough for shorts and a t-shirt. And London usually gets a spell of uncomfortably hot conditions 28°C+ a few times each summer on average but this year we’ve only had the three or so days in late June. But no one seems to be talking about that...

London had 65 hours of sun to the middle of July, the cloudiest start to the month ever recorded. That certainly qualifies as being cloudy enough in mid summer. 

20c simply isn't good enough (it's not warm), that's a typical mid-September temperature. It feels like we have been cheated out of a summer (unless there are major improvements in August and September). How would you like it if your July was consistently 2-4c below average almost every day, with barely any sun?

Edited by B87

Posted
14 minutes ago, B87 said:

London had 65 hours of sun to the middle of July, the cloudiest start to the month ever recorded. That certainly qualifies as being cloudy enough in mid summer. 

20c simply isn't good enough (it's not warm), that's a typical mid-September temperature. It feels like we have been cheated out of a summer (unless there are major improvements in August and September). How would you like it if your July was consistently 2-4c below average almost every day, with barely any sun?

Fair enough, but it hasn’t been 20°C every day has it? I have been about 4 degrees below average this month with very little sun, but your weather has still been a damn lot better than mine.

Looking at the forecast for London next week, it looks like perfect summer weather, mostly sunny, 21-24C temps, low humidity, light winds, what’s not to like?

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for London.

Here is my forecast in comparison:

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for BB8.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
4 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Looking at the forecast for London next week, it looks like perfect summer weather, mostly sunny, 21-24C temps, low humidity, light winds, what’s not to like?

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The next week looks about what you would typically expect throughout July and August. The first half of July felt more like September than July.

Posted

Partly cloudy and breezy with a high of around just 16°C. Temps again lower than what was forecast and what you would expect for September here not July.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Pretty sure we've actually not hit 25C this month in Leeds. Despite those in the south east picturing us as being a frozen wasteland all year that's actually extremely unusual for July and indicative of the fact that your experience is probably very much against the national grain this month. 

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Fair enough, but it hasn’t been 20°C every day has it? I have been about 4 degrees below average this month with very little sun, but your weather has still been a damn lot better than mine.

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Here is my forecast in comparison:

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for BB8.

My two weeks ends today, and most of it was cloudy. So, no it wasn’t great.

Posted
46 minutes ago, B87 said:

20c simply isn't good enough (it's not warm), that's a typical mid-September temperature.

London and the South in general has done a lot better than areas further North, particularly the North West. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Pretty sure we've actually not hit 25C this month in Leeds. Despite those in the south east picturing us as being a frozen wasteland all year that's actually extremely unusual for July and indicative of the fact that your experience is probably very much against the national grain this month. 

It is a frozen wasteland. Us Londoners don’t venture beyond Watford, as it’s known as the forbidden zone.

Posted
1 minute ago, Josh Rubio said:

London and the South in general has done a lot better than areas further North, particularly the North West. 

That still doesn’t make it better. It’s funny how the people up north are telling us how the weather down sarth! Isn’t too bad. 

It’s been pretty awful.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

East lancs is pretty grim all year round I guess.

Perhaps that’s why all those bands from Manchester and the like have that melancholy sound, especially the bands from the 80s and 90s. Joy Division, The Smiths, Housemartins and so forth. The miserable weather must be an influence on some of the music.

Maybe thats why Ian Curtis hung himself all those years ago. 

We usually get plenty of fine weather in April, May, June and traditionally September. But summers tend to be sketchy with some warm and sunny days interespered by a lot of cool and wet days. This summer has been a lot worse than normal though, esspecially July.

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

That still doesn’t make it better. It’s funny how the people up north are telling us how the weather down sarth! Isn’t too bad. 

It’s been pretty awful.

By your standards maybe...

Posted
8 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Haven’t even hit 20°C yet here, and looking at the forecast, might not reach 20°C this month!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Quit the childish insults just because you have differing opinions. This thread has slowly started turning toxic again, so please, cut it out.

Posted
5 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

We usually get plenty of fine weather in April, May, June and traditionally September. But summers tend to be sketchy with some warm and sunny days interespered by a lot of cool and wet days. This summer has been a lot worse than normal though, esspecially July.

I’m teasing,  but know a mate who lives in Liverpool. He tells me just how bad it’s been up there. Most of his garden has been waterlogged a couple of times. Yet, back in May, it was dry as a board.

Posted
5 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

By your standards maybe...

Yeah by my standards. I just prefer long sunny days at this time of year. Still summer is summer and we have those long days, which still feels better than getting dark at 6pm.

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m teasing,  but know a mate who lives in Liverpool. He tells me just how bad it’s been up there. Most of his garden has been waterlogged a couple of times. Yet, back in May, it was dry as a board.

Okay, my apologies, thought you were serious then! Thought you sounded a bit macarb when you mentioned about hanging!

Posted
26 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Quit the childish insults just because you have differing opinions. This thread has slowly started turning toxic again, so please, cut it out.

Ok ok. Apologies.

Posted
49 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

But we have still done badly compared to what we are used to and expect.

Posted
3 minutes ago, B87 said:

But we have still done badly compared to what we are used to and expect.

I guess the positive side to things is, nobody is complaining about a drought. And the air quality in London is probably slightly better.

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

GFS continues its cool and wet start to August.

Consistent it is.

Doesn’t surprise me. It’s August after all...

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

We have only hit 25c 3 times, despite typically having 11 such days in July. The warmest temp so far is 28.5c, and that looks like it'll be the warmest of the whole month.

That would be the lowest max temp in July since 2011.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

So most places haven't been that dry this summer yet this is the park just down the road from me. 

8794F224-D20A-4014-A55C-B3AEB8B2F8C5.thumb.jpeg.eea776b1107b93ee6bf8712768738850.jpeg

The grass has been cut recently which probably makes it look worse but still shows how dry it's been here compared to seemingly everywhere else. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Cloud now melted away that will lead to an unseasonably cold night.  Wish this polar maritime air flow will do one. 

• Like 1