Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, and yet we still have a handful of people on here still telling us ‘it’s not that cold’, or ‘you Londoners don’t know what bad weather is’. While ignoring the reality, of just how bad it’s been. Weeks of cloud is poor weather. 

I would agree it hasn't been cold. 18-20C is not cold. Below average, yes, but not cold. Anyone who thinks that is cold must suffer 8-9 months of torture in our climate.

The opinions of how good/bad the summer has been from someone who doesn't live here is meaningless, how could they possibly know unless they are making an effort to log daily observations from the area?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, al78 said:

I would agree it hasn't been cold. 18-20C is not cold. Below average, yes, but not cold. Anyone who thinks that is cold must suffer 8-9 months of torture in our climate.

Well no because 18-20C isn’t cold all year is it. Agreed, I’d hardly say it’s cold even in summer but without sun and with rain or wind, it certainly lets one’s desire for another layer.

I tend to break up the temperatures like this in summer here:

12-16C Cold

16-20C Very Cool to Cool

20-24C Average

24-28C Warm to Very Warm

28-32C Hot

32+ Very Hot

The average high for July so far here in 19.95C so we’re still in the cool category where that’s concerned.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
14 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Well no because 18-20C isn’t cold all year is it. Agreed, I’d hardly say it’s cold even in summer but without sun and with rain or wind, it certainly lets one’s desire for another layer.

I tend to break up the temperatures like this in summer here:

12-16C Cold

16-20C Very Cool to Cool

20-24C Average

24-28C Warm to Very Warm

28-32C Hot

32+ Very Hot

The average high for July so far here in 19.95C so we’re still in the cool category where that’s concerned.

I'd go for the below:

12-16c pleasantly fresh

16-20c Normal,usable

20-24c Warm to very warm

24-28c Hot, not comfortable for to long

28c-32c nasty hard for working in heat

32+ horrible,draining,useless,damaging heat

So for me this is still Normal

• Like 1

Posted

Of course the facts will be available for July at the end of the month or more probably early August when the Met office publish the official data for sunshine, rainfall and temperatures.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

It's worth remembering on temperature that your body adjusts over a few weeks. I'm fine with 5C by Jan but we had Maxima of 14C about ten days ago and it was freezing.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, summer blizzard said:

It's worth remembering on temperature that your body adjusts over a few weeks. I'm fine with 5C by Jan but we had Maxima of 14C about ten days ago and it was freezing.

That is very true, a quick rise in temps especially in Winter and i'm sweating at levels in summer i would be fine with. 

Posted
56 minutes ago, al78 said:

You mean anyone with clear eyesight who lives down here. Someone living 300 miles away trying to tell me what the weather has been like down here can safely be ignored, unless it matches with real data.

Good point!

Always advisable to travel hundreds of miles to test ones eyesight..

Posted
1 hour ago, al78 said:

July has been a poor month in the SE full stop. I used to live in Salford so I am well accustomed to the clag-fests that plague that part of the country. Temperatures have been below average, sunshine has been below average. That is what makes it a poor summer month. Just because it has not been as bad as the NW does not stop it being a poor summer month.

There always seems to be someone trying to apply the fallacy of relative privation, as though being better than the worst is good enough

Lol, but we are dealing with folk who class anything warmer than 17c as warm. 21c with cloud is poor for any part of the country between June and August. 

Warmer temps are wasted if it’s dominated by cloud.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, markyo said:

I'd go for the below:

12-16c pleasantly fresh

16-20c Normal,usable

20-24c Warm to very warm

You continue to surprise me. Aren’t you wilting by the time it gets to 15C?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, al78 said:

You mean anyone with clear eyesight who lives down here. Someone living 300 miles away trying to tell me what the weather has been like down here can safely be ignored, unless it matches with real data.

You are talking out of my rear end

Posted
1 hour ago, al78 said:

The opinions of how good/bad the summer has been from someone who doesn't live here is meaningless, how could they possibly know unless they are making an effort to log daily observations from the area?

I agree, but 18-20c isn’t warm either. I’ve had to wear a light jacket or a fleece, or jumper when I’ve been walking round. Hasn’t been warm enough for a t shirt, especially because of the wind and cloud. 

The last few days have been better though.

Posted
12 minutes ago, markyo said:

That is very true, a quick rise in temps especially in Winter and i'm sweating at levels in summer i would be fine with. 

That’s a good point. I always feel cold when the daytime temps hits 13-16c in late September or early October, but by November, those temps feel normal.

Posted
47 minutes ago, MP-R said:

You continue to surprise me. Aren’t you wilting by the time it gets to 15C?

so funny.....you do know i work all year round in 35c plus temps?

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

GFS not looking good for the start of August, on the cool side and wet!

If its right of course.

Oh really? I was told that cloudy days with 18-20c is good summer weather for London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 hours ago, markyo said:

I'd go for the below:

12-16c pleasantly fresh

16-20c Normal,usable

20-24c Warm to very warm

In how many parts of the country are 16-20c temps the norm in the peak of summer? 

Nothing wrong with a 25c partly cloudy day with a very light breeze. I hate a breeze if it brings a chill to the skin. A breeze in summer should feel warm.

Posted
12 minutes ago, B87 said:

In how many parts of the country are 16-20c temps the norm in the peak of summer? 

Nothing wrong with a 25c partly cloudy day with a very light breeze. I hate a breeze if it brings a chill to the skin. A breeze in summer should feel warm.

Exactly my argument.

My day trip to broadstairs was partly spoiled on Monday, despite the weather being sunny and cloudy with temps of 23-25, the wind made it feel chilly. It was from a northerly direction. That’s not the kind of breeze I want in summer.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Exactly my argument.

My day trip to broadstairs was partly spoiled on Monday, despite the weather being sunny and cloudy with temps of 23-25, the wind made it feel chilly. It was from a northerly direction. That’s not the kind of breeze I want in summer.

Im wanting to do a day trip down to the Jurassic Coast this week for my birthday but can’t decide which day to go because the weather symbols keep changing between Weds and Fri. I want the sunniest day with as little onshore wind as possible.

This is what frustrates me about this summer.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Exactly my argument.

Tbh those temperatures would be at least slightly above average for any coastal location in the UK, and if there's not a significant breeze anyway, you will usually get a sea breeze develop. Although don't think I've ever felt chilly in 23-25C, so maybe one had developed and brought the local temperature down a bit.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Im wanting to do a day trip down to the Jurassic Coast this week for my birthday but can’t decide which day to go because the weather symbols keep changing between Weds and Fri. I want the sunniest day with as little onshore wind as possible.

This is what frustrates me about this summer.

Yeah It’s annoying isn’t it.

The first summer where most of us have to stay in our own country, either by choice out of safety, or because we can go elsewhere at all. 

I love my own country, but the summer weather can be frustrating at times. It’s usually nice at a time of year when I’m not thinking about holidays, or have no time to book one just at short notice. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah It’s annoying isn’t it.

The first summer where most of us have to stay in our own country, either by choice out of safety, or because we can go elsewhere at all. 

I love my own country, but the summer weather can be frustrating at times. It’s usually nice at a time of year when I’m not thinking about holidays, or have no time to book one just at short notice. 

Exactly. I’ve always said how this country would be the ideal place to live if not for the weather (and maybe politics, but that’s for somewhere else). It’s pretty much the only thing that my foreign friends can’t stand about living here.

What a corker this coming week would be if it was last year! 

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Tbh those temperatures would be at least slightly above average for any coastal location in the UK, and if there's not a significant breeze anyway, you will usually get a sea breeze develop. Although don't think I've ever felt chilly in 23-25C, so maybe one had developed and brought the local temperature down a bit.

It was 23c at one point, but felt closer to 21. Anything north of 24c usually feels warm enough by the sea. I was just unlucky I guess.

Posted
39 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Exactly. I’ve always said how this country would be the ideal place to live if not for the weather (and maybe politics, but that’s for somewhere else). It’s pretty much the only thing that my foreign friends can’t stand about living here.

What a corker this coming week would be if it was last year! 

I think if we lived by the coast or somewhere in the countryside, it would be nicer. You could benefit by just going for a local walk and not having to book time off.

Although, a break to the coast or countryside is different compared to living there year round, as I probably would miss certain aspects of city life. I know living in London can have its downsides, expensive rents, public transport and busy outdoor areas, but there’s variety. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Day started sunny but of course the slate grey skies have returned.  Very chilly NW breeze and a miserable 16C isn't very good for mid-July.  Getting sick to the teeth of all this damned cloud all the time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Why is it so difficult to understand that a 20-22c and cloudy month is poor if the normal conditions are 24c and partly cloudy? Or would residents of places like Brisbane not be able to complain if they only had 25-27c in mid-summer?

Edited by B87