Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Suns just starting to come out here, after being cloudy all day (high of 17C). Pity it will be setting in about 30 minutes time!

Will be be a cold night with temperatures dropping into single figures here, and tommorow will be mostly sunny but still cool (only 17/18°C).

Weathers completely different up here lol.

sign of autumn, definitely cooler now early on, fair to say best of weather has gone was before 3 June, 4 good days later in June, but then finished

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

sign of autumn, definitely cooler now early on, fair to say best of weather has gone was before 3 June, 4 good days later in June, but then finished

Yes I think autumn definitely arrived early this year and we had our summer in April and May.  Current July average max is 15.7°C here as of yesterday which would be around average if it was May or September, but it’s about 4 degrees below average for July. It’s also been exceptionally cloudy as well.

Posted
10 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes I think autumn definitely arrived early this year and we had our summer in April and May.  Current July average max is 15.7°C here as of yesterday which would be around average if it was May or September, but it’s about 4 degrees below average for July. It’s also been exceptionally cloudy as well.

That's the risk when you have a predominately settled April and May, not necessarily a great sign for the summer to follow.  However, a settled/warm April and May was a godsend this year under the circumstances, namely full lock down!

Posted
8 minutes ago, Don said:

That's the risk when you have a predominately settled April and May, not necessarily a great sign for the summer to follow.  However, a settled/warm April and May was a godsend this year under the circumstances, namely full lock down!

Not really, couldn't really go out anywhere except for very local walks in the park or canal etc. Enjoying sunbathing in the garden though.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
6 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Not really, couldn't really go out anywhere except for very local walks in the park or canal etc. Enjoying sunbathing in the garden though.

It would have been far worse if it had been dull and wet most of the time with a lack of vitamin D.  I know we couldn't really go anywhere, but at least it meant local walks/daily exercise were pleasant rather than a chore.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Don said:

It would have been far worse if it had been dull and wet most of the time with a lack of vitamin D.  I know we couldn't really go anywhere, but at least it meant local walks/daily exercise were pleasant rather than a chore.

Yes I’m with you on that. Those first 6 weeks were very weird, and had the weather been dull and dreary between late March to mid May, it would have been really depressing. 

• Like 1

Posted

By the way, that sunny April and May seems like ages ago. 

I’m getting that midway through summer feeling now. Not the late summer vibes you pick up in mid August, but definitely starting to have a different feel to the way it was back in May and June. 

Posted
5 hours ago, johnholmes said:

I suppose the definition of 'poor' for each of our own homes is open to a wide variation of expectation. I hardly think the London area over the period you comment on has had 'poor' weather be it temperatures each afternoon, sunshine or rainfall amounts but cel a vie I suppose.

4 hours ago, General Cluster said:

Whinge, whine, moan, moan, whinge... Gordon Bennett!:oldlaugh:

Agree with both of you. Londoners have much better weather than the rest of the country (summer esspecially) and have become spoiled as a result. 

This summer in London would be considered good or excellent in most other parts of the country which shows how ungrateful Londoners are. Always moaning because it's a bit cloudy or a bit humid or a bit cool etc.

I dread to think how they would cope if they had to spend a summer up here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

The weathers not usually too bad down here in the summer although if you're right on the coast like I am you often miss out on the warmest temperatures and have breezier weather then inland areas. Also it's often drier than a lot of places.

I would count this month as poor here as it's been cooler, breezier and of course cloudier than normal. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
6 hours ago, johnholmes said:

I suppose the definition of 'poor' for each of our own homes is open to a wide variation of expectation. I hardly think the London area over the period you comment on has had 'poor' weather be it temperatures each afternoon, sunshine or rainfall amounts but cel a vie I suppose.

His version of 'poor' in relation to our summers going by history of posts is something different...British Isles is not situated close to the Mediterranean , so far this summer in my opinion has been very 'average'...somewhat cooler than recent summers but there hasn't been that much rain but cloud cover the last fortnight or so has been the most noticeable thing (talking about the south east). I live in Essex and I wouldn't say it's been poor either...been quite a number of usable days for gardening, walking etc.

2012 the last generally poor summer was certainly worse than this...

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
12 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Agree with both of you. Londoners have much better weather than the rest of the country (summer esspecially) and have become spoiled as a result. 

This summer in London would be considered good or excellent in most other parts of the country which shows how ungrateful Londoners are. Always moaning because it's a bit cloudy or a bit humid or a bit cool etc.

Hah? Are you smoking something?

Any person with clear eyesight could see for themselves how bloody awful it’s been here in the past few weeks. 

It becomes annoying when people play down how bad the weather has been. 

Posted
40 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

His version of 'poor' in relation to our summers going by history of posts is something different...British Isles is not situated close to the Mediterranean , so far this summer in my opinion has been very 'average'...somewhat cooler than recent summers but there hasn't been that much rain but cloud cover the last fortnight or so has been the most noticeable thing (talking about the south east). I live in Essex and I wouldn't say it's been poor either...been quite a number of usable days for gardening, walking etc.

2012 the last generally poor summer was certainly worse than this...

You're always sunny on Essex 'Rivera' not very representative of wider SE further W and inland take last month in contrast to parts of London in white your experience of summer so far is different. The last few weeks have been poor there's no mistaking it. Dull and boring. 

2020_6_Sunshine_Actual.thumb.png.656240f06e7bf28b3d3cf293b48380f1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Worst summers for Manchester
1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
2020 171 (up to 18th July)
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190

If the rest of the summer had an average maximum of 20C, 12 hrs of sunshine each day and no more rain days, the index would finish about 258

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Mother Nature has certainly enjoyed this summer, the lush countryside is in stark contrast to the parched landscape of previous recent summers, 2018 especially. Everything just has the look of health and growth and not stress. Lovely to see.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any description.

A few decent days for most coming up but then it goes badly downhill for the Midlands north again. I'm off to the Lake District for a couple of weeks just at that turning point, only positive it should keep some of the people trashing the outdoors inside. Time to embrace the drizzle. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
18 hours ago, B87 said:

It's been a poor July in the SE as well though - cool and incredibly cloudy.

I agree. Friday and Saturday just gone is the only time I have felt proper warmth this month. Much of the month has been a clag-fest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Mother Nature has certainly enjoyed this summer, the lush countryside is in stark contrast to the parched landscape of previous recent summers, 2018 especially. Everything just has the look of health and growth and not stress. Lovely to see.

Strangely where I am on the Essex Riviera my lawn which is always a good indicator of what summer has been like looks tired and deprived of moisture and hasn't grown at all over the last few weeks...but in my location our climate is about as close to a continental one as you'll experience in this country.

Also of note my location does about as well as any part in the country for sun, warmth and lack of rainfall when the pattern is largely westerly driven as per near the beginning of June.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
17 hours ago, johnholmes said:

June was average over the SE, and in my area had the odd sunny day interspersed with cloudy days. The first half of the month was dry, the rain arrived in the second half. July has been a poor summer month, not as bad as the NW or Wales, but still poor. Struggling to get to 20C in SE England at the climatologically warmest time of the year, and 50 hours if sun in 15 days is a poor summer month. We've been blessed with two warm/hot sunny days, it is 17C and cloudy this morning, and is forecast to stay that temperature all day with no sun and occasional drizzle. That is characteristic of a tropical maritime air mass in October or November.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, al78 said:

I agree. Friday and Saturday just gone is the only time I have felt proper warmth this month. Much of the month has been a clag-fest.

Yes, and yet we still have a handful of people on here still telling us ‘it’s not that cold’, or ‘you Londoners don’t know what bad weather is’. While ignoring the reality, of just how bad it’s been. Weeks of cloud is poor weather. 

Posted
12 hours ago, Don said:

Thereis no correlation between April/May and the following summer weather.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Strangely where I am on the Essex Riviera my lawn which is always a good indicator of what summer has been like looks tired and deprived of moisture and hasn't grown at all over the last few weeks...but in my location our climate is about as close to a continental one as you'll experience in this country.

Also of note my location does about as well as any part in the country for sun, warmth and lack of rainfall when the pattern is largely westerly driven as per near the beginning of June.

I cross the Pennies most days, it honestly looks fantastic,foliage is striking by both quantity and quality, far more wildlife around as well(sadly easy to tell by amount of road kills). Proving to be a very good summer for nature.....apart from the road kill that is!.

Edited by markyo

Posted
11 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

July has been a poor month in the SE full stop. I used to live in Salford so I am well accustomed to the clag-fests that plague that part of the country. Temperatures have been below average, sunshine has been below average. That is what makes it a poor summer month. Just because it has not been as bad as the NW does not stop it being a poor summer month.

There always seems to be someone trying to apply the fallacy of relative privation, as though being better than the worst is good enough

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s happened on quite a few occasions. 

So what. A couple of years in your memory does not dictate a trend (that is why we look at all the data). There have been years where is hasn't happened as well. 2012 had a very wet April and the summer was dreadful.

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Hah? Are you smoking something?

Any person with clear eyesight could see for themselves how bloody awful it’s been here in the past few weeks. 

It becomes annoying when people play down how bad the weather has been. 

You mean anyone with clear eyesight who lives down here. Someone living 300 miles away trying to tell me what the weather has been like down here can safely be ignored, unless it matches with real data.