Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

Any turbulence weather on the horizon, be it heavy rain or strong winds?

It’s been a total cloud fest and dare I say pretty boring. 

We’ve got September to March for that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

For the first time this month, the forecast shows average temperatures, rain days and sunshine.

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

London weather forecast 14 days - Rain risk - Wind direction - HDD CDD

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, B87 said:

For the first time this month, the forecast shows average temperatures, rain days and sunshine.

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

London weather forecast 14 days - Rain risk - Wind direction - HDD CDD

Having looked at the NW and BBC 14-Day 'forecasts' over quite a long timeframe, I've come to the inevitable conclusion that such predictions are a waste-of-space... Beccles will experience a thunderstorm next Friday afternoon, Yeah, right.

Here, today; gone, tomorrow!:oldlaugh:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Having looked at the NW and BBC 14-Day 'forecasts' over quite a long timeframe, I've come to the inevitable conclusion that such predictions are a waste-of-space... Beccles will experience a thunderstorm next Friday afternoon, Yeah, right.

Here, today; gone, tomorrow!:oldlaugh:

It gives a general idea though. It's the first time all month that the entire forecast is settled with average temps and sunshine, or what you would expect in July.

That forecast picked out the late June heatwave over 10 days out. It's in a completely different league to 'inaccuweather'.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

After 7 weeks of summer  and only 1 week of weather that resembles summer i can only describe it as poor and am almost ready to throw it onto the list of 'very poor' alongside 2008 and 2012.I really cannot see how it is going to make even an average summer with the dire August a couple of weeks away!

Posted

Total snooze fest! Yes there have been far worse summers. But my God it’s boring. Wouldn’t even mind a few more wet days, as long as we got some sunny ones as well.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Even I’ve started posting less....and I’m usually in every day! Just a bit of model fatigue of the same pattern over and over again.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
2 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Sunny spells with temps around average, nothing to moan about.

Apart from no summer storms.

Above average (25-26C) in the south east yesterday and today. Punishment weather comes in tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

One good thing.. many of the 'better' days this month have fallen on weekends e.g 5th, last weekend and today at least in the south.  Not so sure about tomorrow or next weekend though..

Posted
7 minutes ago, al78 said:

Above average (25-26C) in the south east yesterday and today. Punishment weather comes in tomorrow.

It got to 28.5c yesterday in London. 27c expected today. You know it's a bad summer when we are getting 'punished' even after a couple of nice but unremarkable days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Drizzle here in Lancashire.  Always get the most boring weather round here lol.

Posted
On 17/07/2020 at 00:35, Thundery wintry showers said:

It's an interesting question, as my experience has been that at most times of the year this holds true, but not so much in high summer.  There are a couple of reasons for this that I can think of:

• The dominant/strong Azores High in high summer, which results in a fair amount of moist tropical maritime air coming into the circulation, rather than clear, showery polar maritime air masses.  There's been a lot of frontal activity around so far this month which has prevented clear showery polar maritime air from getting going for long.
  • Sunshine and showers type weather requires instability, which is assisted by relatively cold air masses blowing over relatively warm seas.  In the summer months, the sea tends to be cool relative to the land masses, and so we're more likely to get relatively stable air and stratocumulus coming in off the sea. 
  • In summer polar maritime air masses can become very unstable as they pass over the land mass due to solar heating, hence East Anglia, Lincolnshire and the south-east tending to be favoured for thundery activity off a showery west to north-westerly in summer due to the large amount of land mass that the air mass passes over before its gets there.  But for that to happen you ideally need sunshine to begin with... 

In summer we tend to get sunshine and showers type weather most often from relatively slack setups, often indeed with a westerly or north-westerly flow, but with a weak jet stream and not much frontal activity - in contrast to what we've had so far this July.

Some interesting information there. Thanks for sharing. I remember summers 2011 and 2017 had a lot of sunshine and shower days. Something that’s been lacking this summer and something I’ve missed. Can’t beat good ol’ British Day of sunshine and showers! ?☔️?

• Like 1

Posted
On 17/07/2020 at 13:37, matt111 said:

Rare clear blue skies here now which is nice to see. Shame the breeze has returned which isn’t so nice 

Why do you not like clear blue skies? It looks wonderful. The clear days we had during the spring were excellent. I’d rather have sunny and breezy weather than dull, cloudy and no breeze.

Posted
20 minutes ago, al78 said:

Opposite here. Cloudy last few days and damp and drizzly today, but skies forecast to clear tonight and plenty of sunshine forecast for the next few days. Temperatures will be cool though (below 20°C). Still have yet to reach 20°C this month!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Why do you not like clear blue skies? It looks wonderful. The clear days we had during the spring were excellent. I’d rather have sunny and breezy weather than dull, cloudy and no breeze.

I think he’s saying that the clear skies are rare, but are nice to see.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Opposite here. Cloudy last few days and damp and drizzly today, but skies forecast to clear tonight and plenty of sunshine forecast for the next few days. Temperatures will be cool though (below 20°C). Still have yet to reach 20°C this month!

We fared a little better yesterday,dull and cloudy,a few very brief sunny spells and a scorching 21 deg!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I think he’s saying that the clear skies are rare, but are nice to see.

Yes that’s what I was saying

Same again today but the breeze is even stronger than yesterday. 

Posted
1 minute ago, hillbilly said:

We fared a little better yesterday,dull and cloudy,a few very brief sunny spells and a scorching 21 deg!

Same here but only reached 19.3°C at Stonyhurst. Was quite humid though.

Posted
Just now, matt111 said:

Yes that’s what I was saying

Same again today but the breeze is even stronger than yesterday. 

Okay my apologies.

Posted
20 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Some interesting information there. Thanks for sharing. I remember summers 2011 and 2017 had a lot of sunshine and shower days. Something that’s been lacking this summer and something I’ve missed. Can’t beat good ol’ British Day of sunshine and showers! ?☔️?

Plenty of showers in 2011, not much sunshine here.

Summer 2017 had a good June, but July and August were cloudy.

Posted
13 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Same here but only reached 19.3°C at Stonyhurst. Was quite humid though.

It beats a couple of other July days that only made 12 deg!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, B87 said:

Plenty of showers in 2011, not much sunshine here.

Summer 2017 had a good June, but July and August were cloudy.

The first half of July was quite good and felt like a good summer up until mid July. The mid July storms changed everything, and the summer was poor from then onwards, which is a shame, because until that time, 2017 seemed like the best summer weather since 2014.

Posted
1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

Total snooze fest! Yes there have been far worse summers. But my God it’s boring. Wouldn’t even mind a few more wet days, as long as we got some sunny ones as well.

Glorious again down here. 
Decent outlook too.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

The first half of July was quite good and felt like a good summer up until mid July. The mid July storms changed everything, and the summer was poor from then onwards, which is a shame, because until that time, 2017 seemed like the best summer weather since 2014.

Temperatures were alright overall in 2017 (normal summer would have the June and August temps swapped), but it was a wet and cloudy summer. We had a spell from mid July to mid August where every single day was below normal.

Edited by B87