Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, Evening thunder said:

Just a thought, maybe people could be allowed to like whatever weather they wish? After all, it doesn't effect the actual weather... 

A better day here today, 23C and sunny.

About damn time, but still cloudy until early this afternoon, so nothing to get excited about.

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, just in time for when I return to work on Monday morning, in my security uniform lol. Fun times.

I’m giving you a like to get you off that number. Don’t want any more jinxes 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I take these stories with a pinch of salt. This summer has been appalling so far.

I suspect salt tablets will be needed....This is the future like it or not.

Posted
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

I suspect salt tablets will be needed....This is the future like it or not.

The future I can see is, cloudy damp and unremarkable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I take these stories with a pinch of salt. This summer has been appalling so far.

That article is looking globally, not specifically the UK, and one poor summer does not defy projections.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The article relates more to the tropics. The UK is at near zero risk of experiencing wet bulb temperatures around 30C. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, al78 said:

That article is looking globally, not specifically the UK, and one poor summer does not defy projections.

Yeah, but I’m getting fed up hearing about it. There’s never any good news to having better weather and warmer temps.

Colder weather doesn’t always mean better either. More people die of the cold every year compared to heat related deaths. Even in our milder winters, I would argue, more people still die due to cold damp conditions, but nobody wants to talk about that.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

" Summers could become 'too hot for humans' "

Blimey, could have sworn BBC headlines never used to be that sensationalist.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Cool and cloudy today here in Lancashire (again) but staying dry, booooooooooooooring.

Posted
21 hours ago, B87 said:

I hope we get a hot September to offset the rubbish of June-August, and then a warm October. It made 2011 a lot better than it would have been with the non summer that year.

Summer 2011 really wasn’t that bad. Yes it was cool, sure, but I don’t remember it being overly wet or cloudy. Unlike this summer which has been the dullest I can remember with quite a lot of rain at the start of the month. I remember going on holiday to East Anglia in August 2011 and having lots of warm, dry and sunny weather. It pretty much felt like the same temperature from April to November that year. Nothing very hot but nothing very cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Summer 2011 really wasn’t that bad. Yes it was cool, sure, but I don’t remember it being overly wet or cloudy. Unlike this summer which has been the dullest I can remember with quite a lot of rain at the start of the month. I remember going on holiday to East Anglia in August 2011 and having lots of warm, dry and sunny weather. It pretty much felt like the same temperature from April to November that year. Nothing very hot but nothing very cold.

In London it was the coolest summer since 1993, and every month was wet and cloudy.

June: 20.7c/11.0c, 84.0mm, 173.5 hrs

July: 21.7c/12.6c, 49.8mm, 173.6 hrs

August: 21.8c/13.4c, 68.8mm, 144.1 hrs

Posted
13 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Ironically, Aug 2007 ended up being just as wet here as the months preceding it. Big storm fired up in situ on the 7th and dropped a couple of inches of rain and hail. Never seen anything like that...I'd watched it build overhead for about an hour before the pyrotechnics started.

Found a poor quality vid of it on YouTube

Also found an old article on the flooding it caused

WWW.CHESHIRE-LIVE.CO.UK

A CLEAN-UP operation is under way after torrential rain caused flash floods in parts of Crewe on Monday evening.

and another

spacer.png
WWW.CREWECHRONICLE.CO.UK

FLASH floods turned streets into rivers and sent stinking waste pouring into cellars after torrential rain and thunderstorms hammered Crewe.

Amazing how much home video camera quality has improved since 2007!

Posted
10 hours ago, johnholmes said:

That quote is as daft as those made when winter is at a similar stage in terms of days left.

Not really, can you think of a winter where it’s been mild in December and January but cold in February? I can’t.

Posted
10 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Slightly wetter than avg in the SE but not exactly record breaking here..

November felt cold in London too IMO (relative for the time of year). Temps consistently below avg for 2 weeks.. Not a microclimate.

nov19.thumb.png.664c7abfa438b552f08c3671308b734b.png

The CET for November last year was 6.5C. That is the CETs of some Decembers like December 2016 and January 2020 was 6.4C. 

Posted
25 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Hmm, it was quite a poor summer in London. Apart from some hot days at the start and end of June, following the very warm April, and some warm sunny days in May. July and August were very poor.

Posted
2 hours ago, al78 said:

I haven't checked to see if someone has already posted this, but the 700mb geopotential height anomaly from 1st to 14th July looks like the anomalous northwesterly pattern, and explains why temperatures have been suppressed.

compday.qy316nkKfc.gif

Possibly other than heights to the north and low heights over and to the south of the UK, this the synoptical mean that delivers the coolest conditions we can get in summer. At least a northerly or long fetch north easterly is likely to bring clearer skies and sunshine with it, whereas as a NW flows tends to bring lots of atlantic cloud off a cold source still. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Actually a nice evening here for a change. Still just above 20°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Not really, can you think of a winter where it’s been mild in December and January but cold in February? I can’t.

2017/18 recently.

1982/83, 1985/86, 1992/93, 1993/94 all had average or mild Dec/Jan with cold Feb.

Posted
9 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

July last year was much better than this year..and September was better than June and August. Because apart from the last week of June and last week of August they were rather wet months.

I agree about last July being miles better than this one (still haven’t reached 20c yet!) but I don’t agree about September. It was a crap month here because the start was very cool and wet, it was only around the middle of the month where we got some sunshine but only average temps with cold nights. Then the last week of the month was very unsettled but a bit milder. August was wet but at least it was a bit warmer.

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, but I’m getting fed up hearing about it. There’s never any good news to having better weather and warmer temps.

Colder weather doesn’t always mean better either. More people die of the cold every year compared to heat related deaths. Even in our milder winters, I would argue, more people still die due to cold damp conditions, but nobody wants to talk about that.

Far from clear: This is the wrong thread for this discussion though.

In any case, sometimes the truth is inconvenient. Ignoring it or denying it doesn't make it go away, so best to deal with it.

Affiche_canicule_Paris_plstaugustin_2708
WWW.REALCLIMATE.ORG

Guest post by Veronika Huber Climate skeptics sometimes like to claim that although global warming will lead to more deaths from heat, it will overall save lives...

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

It's very August 2008esque at the moment, the last 3 weeks has been persistently dull with only odd sunny spells. 

I have been thinking that in recent days actually. Especially when songs like “please don’t stop the music” by Rihanna  come on the radio that came out around that time.

Posted
4 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Crap day again, sunless, cool and windy most of day at least milder now

Cool and cloudy here too today, seems like we just missed out on the sunshine, north east England and the south were quite sunny today it seems. We seem to do really poorly for sunshine in summer in the north west, esspecially in a westerly (though even in a westerly summer we usually get more sunshine than this) it’s only really the spring that has decent sunshine levels. The rest of the year is mainly just a cloud fest. Most boring climate in the country.

Posted
38 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Going by CET since 1950:

1974/5

2017/8

It doesn't happen very often, that is because you are specifying exactly mild-mild-cold. There are more winters with one mild month and one or two cold or near average months.

Posted
5 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Another disappointment looked like clearance was coming to London but nope if anything it got cloudier and thicker. Bugger. Sunny southwest of London.

C7296EB3-5E28-4E80-9601-B5BBF83ED037.thumb.png.f51a20e1c76b66b66b3f720c25ffe84e.png

Looks like I have been unlucky as I have just missed out on the sunshine. I live about 30 miles to the west of Leeds so it seems like I’ve just missed out on the sunny zone. North west England (away from the coast anyway) has been in the cloudy zone. Looks like Yorkshire, the north-east, the south coast (surprise, surprise) and the south west have done best for sunshine today.