Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Over here, we haven't as of yet managed to reach 25 Celsius this July, and the highest temperature in the forecast for the next couple of weeks is 23 Celsius. That is quite astonishing for the middle of summer.

Could be worse. Not even reached 20 degrees here yet!

• Like 1

Posted

Charlwood in Surrey has only had 50 hours of sun this is dullest I've come across in S England, throughly miserable to be in this position midway through to mid month the average should be 100 hours.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Charlwood in Surrey has only had 50 hours of sun this is dullest I've come across in S England, throughly miserable to be in this position midway through to mid month the average should be 100 hours.

That is poor Dan.

Nothing of interest, no brief plumes so no storms, not even sunshine and an afternoon heavy shower, just mostly cloudy.

Second half has to improve.:help:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Here in the NW of England, before 2006,  the summer hols used to be in July for 5 weeks and then we’d get 2 weeks off in September. Then the government decided that all areas should go on holiday at the same time, so we switched to 6 weeks off from late July to early September like the rest of the country, and got rid of the 2 weeks September holiday. Ironically, since then, we haven’t had a decent August in the NW region since, but we’ve had plenty of nice Septembers.

I remember we got 9 weeks off during summer 2006, as they were making the transition. It was great for the kids, but a bit of a pain for the parents.

When I was a schoolkid (1950/60s) school broke up mid-July and lasted six weeks to the last week of August.  Bear in mind up to 1967 the August Bank Holiday was at the beginning  of  the month.  And yes, August usually suffered from crap weather.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I think it might have been July 1988. Have a look here: 

Have a look at the maximum recorded temperatures for that month. Absolutely shocking!

That looks dismal

• Like 1

Posted

In all honesty, as a 44 year old, I can count a handful of decent Augusts.

1983, 1984, 1989, 1990, 1995, 2003, 2005 and more recently 2013, with 2018 being sort of half decent. 

That’s 9 Augusts I can confidently say were close to good or very good. Just goes to show how poor August is or mediocre it really is when compared to June and July. 

• Like 1

Posted

Maybe they should follow the European and North American holiday model. Scrap the half terms and have a longer summer break, starting in early June.

At least that way, you will be guaranteed with at least a few weeks of decent weather, although this year and 2019 had poor Junes. 2017 and 18 had better early summer weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

It's reached 20°C 5 times here this month so far yet it hasn't reached 21°C once which for here is still poor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Very low light at 8:30pm - on a mid-summer evening!  Demonstrates well the persistent very heavy overcast.   Cold as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

In all honesty, as a 44 year old, I can count a handful of decent Augusts.

1983, 1984, 1989, 1990, 1995, 2003, 2005 and more recently 2013, with 2018 being sort of half decent. 

That’s 9 Augusts I can confidently say were close to good or very good. Just goes to show how poor August is or mediocre it really is when compared to June and July. 

August on average is as warm and sunny as July. Recent years have failed.

Posted

Normally with a very cloudy month, you expect nights to be mild along with cool days. The first half of the month in London has been incredibly cloudy, and daytime temps have been suppressed, but nights have been chilly too.

Currently av max 22.1c, av min 12.9c.

Other than a warm day on Friday which should reach 27-28c, the next 2 weeks looks slightly below average or average at best. Having to rely on August to save the summer is a horrifying thought. You could pretty much guarantee it pre-2006 though.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, B87 said:

August on average is as warm and sunny as July. Recent years have failed.

Many years in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s were still poor for Augusts. 

1985, 86 were terrible, 88 was also mixed, 92 was wet and cool with thunder, also some hot weather mixed in.

93 was cold, with a hot spell in the middle of August. 94 was also unsettled and thundery.

96 was mostly cloudy and changeable. 99 was thundery and cool. The 80s and 90s produced a lot of poor or mediocre Augusts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
5 hours ago, Downburst said:

I was thinking what could be done about it. All I can think of is a series of thermo nuclear bombs somewhere in the atmosphere five hundred miles out and since we are all stay at home anyway, a few iodine tabs and keep the windows shut for a few days, rinse and repeat until the weather waves a white flag? Other than that cloud seeding or run around stone henge chanting. Open to suggestions in lieu of a better plan.

Re-freezing the Arctic to where it was decades a go would be a start, I'm sure the lack of ice/warming is killing our weather - snowless, thunderless and extra cloud seem to be the order of play these days.  Active weather seems to be getting less by the year to be replaced by extreme blandness with the occasional interesting bit here and there if we're lucky (IMBY).  One big yawnfest.  

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Many years in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s were still poor for Augusts. 

1985, 86 were terrible, 88 was also mixed, 92 was wet and cool with thunder, also some hot weather mixed in.

93 was cold, with a hot spell in the middle of August. 94 was also unsettled and thundery.

96 was mostly cloudy and changeable. 99 was thundery and cool. The 80s and 90s produced a lot of poor or mediocre Augusts.

But these days almost every August is bad. Even the Augusts of poor summers such as 1998, 2000, 2002 were average. These days it's a struggle to even get that. Between 1998-2005, we had 1 great, 1 poor and the rest were average.

Posted
17 minutes ago, B87 said:

Normally with a very cloudy month, you expect nights to be mild along with cool days. The first half of the month in London has been incredibly cloudy, and daytime temps have been suppressed, but nights have been chilly too.

Currently av max 22.1c, av min 12.9c.

Other than a warm day on Friday which should reach 27-28c, the next 2 weeks looks slightly below average or average at best. Having to rely on August to save the summer is a horrifying thought. You could pretty much guarantee it pre-2006 though.

If we get a poor August, this will surely be a contender for the poorest summer since 2012, and going further back, the poorest alongside 2007, 1993 and even maybe 1986. 

I really hope it’s not the case. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, B87 said:

But these days almost every August is bad. Even the Augusts of poor summers such as 1998, 2000, 2002 were average. These days it's a struggle to even get that. Between 1998-2005, we had 1 great, 1 poor and the rest were average.

Point taken.

Cloudy Augusts are more common now. Maybe an improvement for August 2020 will happen. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

If we get a poor August, this will surely be a contender for the poorest summer since 2012, and going further back, the poorest alongside 2007, 1993 and even maybe 1986. 

I really hope it’s not the case. 

I hope we have a summer similar to 2016. June that year was one of the worst ever, and the first half of July was atrocious. It took until thr 2nd half of July to get average temperatures and the first 30c days, but then it stayed warm into September.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, B87 said:

I hope we have a summer similar to 2016. June that year was one of the worst ever, and the first half of July was atrocious. It took until thr 2nd half of July to get average temperatures and the first 30c days, but then it stayed warm into September.

Hopefully a 2016 at worst. Plus, we had some decent thunderstorms that summer. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

sick of it being dark as well, feels autumn is here away from the SE, pants outlook too, Saturday potential shocker

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

sick of it being dark as well, feels autumn is here away from the SE, pants outlook too, Saturday potential shocker

The SE isn't escaping this either. It's been cool and exceptionally cloudy here too.

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

I have a feeling this summer will see a shift to colder winters for the next couple of years. 

Hopefully we will get some warm or hot summers to offset those cold winters.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I have a feeling this summer will see a shift to colder winters for the next couple of years. 

dream on!

• Like 1