Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
11 minutes ago, EMids WeatherWatcher said:

Take a closer look..it looks lovely..seriously i have never taken a holiday in this country for 30 odd years and never will again because off summers like this, a week in the med in september and a week in the canaries next january will satisfy me away from this vile dross!!!

ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 15 13.28.gif

People might be holidaying at home this Summer, but I can guarantee a mass exodus next year. If the EU let us in of course.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
6 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Didn’t feel like 26 on Saturday. It was warm, but not as hot as that.

Not last Saturday the next one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
56 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

cloud.thumb.jpg.19be8fda82289dd1b76058bcecaa7499.jpg

Satellite for 1pm today - yet another day with the entire UK subjected to this crap cloudy weather with no sunshine. This summer is going to end up one of the worst in my lifetime if August doesn't do any better....

Shall we get on a boat and sit in the North Sea or the Atlantic. That’s where the sunshine seems to be lol!

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Atlantic tends to weaken in Sept and Oct, after dominating for last 2 months, then of course back again for 4 months of zonal hell

One other thing is settled Septembers following poor ends of August stick in the mind. The reason is people feel sorry for the kids, stuck in all day in a wet August and then return to two weeks of anticyclonic sunshine early September. I remember a couple of occasions in the '80s like that. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Weather-history said:

25 years ago....

Amazing, I was in France that time, two weeks. That night there were crazy thunderstorms and an inordinate number of cattle were killed locally. They had been suffering a terrible drought. Great summer 95 all over too.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Downburst said:

One other thing is settled Septembers following poor ends of August stick in the mind. The reason is people feel sorry for the kids, stuck in all day in a wet August and then return to two weeks of anticyclonic sunshine early September. I remember a couple of occasions in the '80s like that. 

2004 comes to mind. Probably the one time that’s happened during my school life. No doubt the same would’ve been the case if I was at school in 2014.

To a lesser degree, 2008 too even though it was the second half of September, and not always sunny, just anticyclonic.

By and large September follows the ebbs and flows of August, just on a wider scale ie more inflated high pressure areas and stronger stormier lows associated with the firing up of the Atlantic later in the season.

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Another damp miserable day,  but have reached the dizzy heights of 14.5 degrees. 

I share your pain..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Bring back spring this summer is getting worse . The 6z Gfs is dire things can only get better 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
17 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Atlantic tends to weaken in Sept and Oct, after dominating for last 2 months, then of course back again for 4 months of zonal hell

I thought traditionally the Atlantic always powered up during October. It always has a reputation of being a poor month.

Posted
16 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

Seems to be a reoccurring theme of sunny early on in the morning, followed by thick cloud dominating all the way until the evening, with an hour or so of sunny intervals, back to thick cloud. 

The worse thing is that it doesn’t produce anything, no rain or even drizzle. Very much ‘nothingness’ for several days. 

Yes I woke up early yesterday morning and the sky was clear, but by the time I got up it was thick cloud which persisted all day, even until dusk. This morning when I woke up early on it was raining though.

Posted

It's becoming thoroughly depressing now.

Thick cloud and intermittent drizzle AGAIN today pretty much from the get go.

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
2 hours ago, Damienfire said:

When is the last time we had a July like this? Without ANY warmth. I know 2012 was nasty but there was a week of warmth at the end. July 2020 hasn’t had any whatsoever and doesn’t forecast any.

I think it might have been July 1988. Have a look here: 

Have a look at the maximum recorded temperatures for that month. Absolutely shocking!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It's becoming thoroughly depressing now.

Thick cloud and intermittent drizzle AGAIN today pretty much from the get go.

I was thinking what could be done about it. All I can think of is a series of thermo nuclear bombs somewhere in the atmosphere five hundred miles out and since we are all stay at home anyway, a few iodine tabs and keep the windows shut for a few days, rinse and repeat until the weather waves a white flag? Other than that cloud seeding or run around stone henge chanting. Open to suggestions in lieu of a better plan.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Downburst said:

Here in the NW of England, before 2006,  the summer hols used to be in July for 5 weeks and then we’d get 2 weeks off in September. Then the government decided that all areas should go on holiday at the same time, so we switched to 6 weeks off from late July to early September like the rest of the country, and got rid of the 2 weeks September holiday. Ironically, since then, we haven’t had a decent August in the NW region since, but we’ve had plenty of nice Septembers.

I remember we got 9 weeks off during summer 2006, as they were making the transition. It was great for the kids, but a bit of a pain for the parents.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Thanks 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I thought traditionally the Atlantic always powered up during October. It always has a reputation of being a poor month.

Yes. It’s already powering up through September and quite often our first onslaught is around the equinox, then October much more so. It seems to be less predictable nowadays though with it often taking until November to fully kick in.

Statistically Oct-Dec is the wettest part of the year as the Atlantic is the most relentless then, with a decline through January.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Another damp miserable day,  but have reached the dizzy heights of 14.5 degrees. 

Yep, getting serious 2008 vibes now. Overcast, cool and drizzly, hearing “please don’t stop the music” by Rihanna and “put on my blue shade shoes in the pouring rain” on the radio. Just need “Why does it always rain on me” and “Umbrella” and we’re done.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

Pathetic for southeastern England, but unless some sudden heatwave occurs, it looks like the max July temp for my town will be a meagre 26C. June has been warmer so far by the looks of things. Today - another  sub 20C day, grey, chilly. What a stark contrast from last summer.

It is nice to have a change from warm summers like we've had the last year or two, but the warm weather we have had this year came early. also whilst I usually want a cold winter, I feel like this is gonna be the year we have one and we don't want it with regards to COVID.  

Edited by qwertyK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Another day with lead grey skies and below average temperatures :lazy:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I think it’s quite possible, but in some years August has produced the hottest day of the year. But, most years the summer temps tend to peak in July. 

Got to 29c so far this year....from the outlook could be worth a few quid if i can find a bookies to take it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Over here, we haven't as of yet managed to reach 25 Celsius this July, and the highest temperature in the forecast for the next couple of weeks is 23 Celsius. That is quite astonishing for the middle of summer.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted

Can't think of many years where I've recorded over 30C in June then failed to reach even 25C in July. 2004 nearly managed that, but the closing days of July were very warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Can't think of many years where I've recorded over 30C in June then failed to reach even 25C in July. 2004 nearly managed that, but the closing days of July were very warm.

2011 comes to mind. August 2011 also managed 30c though.

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Got to 29c so far this year....from the outlook could be worth a few quid if i can find a bookies to take it!

Can you go to the bookies and make your own bets on the weather? I thought you could only bet on things like if it’s gonna be white Christmas this year or if 40C will be reached in the UK this summer.