Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

I was thinking maybe what’s going on in Arctic has something to do with summer being poorer, Summer 2007, 2011 and 2012 which were record breaking for sea ice losses. And this one isn’t an exception a coincidence or what? 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, B87 said:

June 2020 was infinitely better than June 2012 here. Over 3c warmer, drier, much sunnier.

Yes I found June to be better  than last year as well. But the endless non days  of nothing Ie just cloud reminds me of the summer of 2012. When we get cold summers we still get a bit of sunshine. Ie the nights are clear so early mornings are usually sunny then cloud builds up all day  until it breaks again at 9 to leave cold evenings. (that's my location). this year its just continues cloud..I just wish it would do something..pressure  remains the same. there is no build up so cloud breaks. even showers are nothing but sprinkles.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Even the Lake District can expect some warm and sunny weather on some days during the spring and summer. I visited Keswick in early July last year and the weather was cracking, dry, mostly sunny and very warm.

However this summer there has barely been any warm and sunny weather in the north west region.

I don't rank July as a great month for taking a hiking holiday in the UK. I stopped going to Scotland in July because it was inevitably five out of seven days of clag and one of two decent days when I could get a view. I now go to Scotland in May or June, which are climatologically the sunniest months, although last June had little interest in climatology when I was up there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Well it's certainly turning into a poor Summer here in NW England. Not as bad as 2012 but only just. Still a while to go yet though until it's over. But only a few days in June would I describe as being Summery & then came the torrential thundery downpours with local flooding, with some quite incredible images on social media. July up to now has been nothing but cool, dull & uneventful in every possible way.

April & May however was very sunny & warm. Not unusual though for here as there's normally a lack of westerly winds during those months. In years gone by I can remember many a good Spring only for Summer to be less impressive. The further south & east you are tend to be more sheltered from the westerly wind driven cloud & Atlantic systems. Hence the "NW/SE split." A good example is this weekend. 17C here on Saturday but 26C in London.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted

This is the worst summer I’ve known since 2012. Absolutely atrocious. July 2020 might be worse than 2012 as I’ve never known a July where we’re struggling to get 20C, it’s normally a given.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Always feel cheated when summer fails to deliver. During the other 3 seasons I kind of expect crap weather, and accept it more, but this time of year I generally hope for better, unrealistically or not especially from a work perspective. 

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 5

Posted
7 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

Yes I found June to be better  than last year as well. But the endless non days  of nothing Ie just cloud reminds me of the summer of 2012. When we get cold summers we still get a bit of sunshine. Ie the nights are clear so early mornings are usually sunny then cloud builds up all day  until it breaks again at 9 to leave cold evenings. (that's my location). this year its just continues cloud..I just wish it would do something..pressure  remains the same. there is no build up so cloud breaks. even showers are nothing but sprinkles.

It has a 2002 feel to things as well as 2012.

2002 was also a boring summer, a long cloud fest, with only a handful of sunny days. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well it's certainly turning into a poor Summer here in NW England. Not as bad as 2012 but only just. Still a while to go yet though until it's over. But only a few days in June would I describe as being Summery & then came the torrential thundery downpours with local flooding, with some quite incredible images on social media. July up to now has been nothing but cool, dull & uneventful in every possible way.

April & May however was very sunny & warm. Not unusual though for here as there's normally a lack of westerly winds during those months. In years gone by I can remember many a good Spring only for Summer to be less impressive. The further south & east you are tend to be more sheltered from the westerly wind driven cloud & Atlantic systems. Hence the "NW/SE split." A good example is this weekend. 17C here on Saturday but 26C in London.

Didn’t feel like 26 on Saturday. It was warm, but not as hot as that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

May try putting a bet on 30c not being broken in Sheffield this year, could be a good tickle!

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, markyo said:

May try putting a bet on 30c not being broken in Sheffield this year, could be a good tickle!

I think it’s quite possible, but in some years August has produced the hottest day of the year. But, most years the summer temps tend to peak in July. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

25 years ago....

fairly strong  easterlies on that map. That's what we had in April and May.. an easterly set up.. Not gonna happen this summer now.Shame what a dire set up with are in right now.

Posted
24 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

fairly strong  easterlies on that map. That's what we had in April and May.. an easterly set up.. Not gonna happen this summer now.Shame what a dire set up with are in right now.

The Atlantic just seems to bring the worst weather. Mild in the winter, and cool nothingness in the summer. 

We can’t even seem to manage a warm or hot southerly this summer. What happened to that? Or better still, what happened to the south easterlies/easterlies we had during that mid June hot spell and April/May sunny spells.

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

The Atlantic just seems to bring the worst weather. Mild in the winter, and cool nothingness in the summer. 

We can’t even seem to manage a warm or hot southerly this summer. What happened to that? Or better still, what happened to the south easterlies/easterlies we had during that mid June hot spell and April/May sunny spells.

Yep and easterlies bring cold in the winter.the weather may reverse back to the set up we had in April and May come mid August and September.It does seem to work that way these days..Its just the lack of  any decent weather that makes me feel disappointed. I know you have had some  more nice days down there. But in Leeds so far this month and its 2 weeks old.. last Sunday was the only decent day we have had.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

Yep and easterlies bring cold in the winter.the weather may reverse back to the set up we had in April and May come mid August and September.It does seem to work that way these days..Its just the lack of  any decent weather that makes me feel disappointed. I know you have had some  more nice days down there. But in Leeds so far this month and its 2 weeks old.. last Sunday was the only decent day we have had.

Yes we have, but only a couple of good days. Last week I was down in Eastbourne, and it was positively cool and cloudy with humid conditions mixed in. Friday saw an improvement, but it’s been a little bit of a ‘top little too late’ scenario for me.

The dryness is the only plus. Would be even worse if it were raining like 2007.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes we have, but only a couple of good days. Last week I was down in Eastbourne, and it was positively cool and cloudy with humid conditions mixed in. Friday saw an improvement, but it’s been a little bit of a ‘top little too late’ scenario for me.

The dryness is the only plus. Would be even worse if it were raining like 2007.

And what's more, yesterday's dose of sunburn has now almost completely worn-off!:oldgood:

Posted

Yet another absolute rotter of a day here, it’s such a waste at this time of year to get grey skies and drizzly rain. No warmth or convective activity at all. Easily the worst summer since 2012 here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Always love seeing those old BBC forecasts! Although I do wonder if the fact I used to get so excited over those orange lightning symbols - before the days of having access to radar/lightningmaps/Convective forecasts and forum knowledge - helps lead into my perception that the 90s was a much more thundery decade than the last 2. But then again, I'm sure others in the past have found actual evidence suggesting it was.

As we're halfway through meteorological summer, I thought I'd give a rating for the summer so far, and I'd honestly have to say 2/10! This is not  even me being overly harsh, I can just think of very little reason to give it anything higher than that! If you were to include May as part of the summer period, then I would elevate it to a 5/10.

A warm and thundery August could be potentially be a season-saver, but there's little model evidence to suggest we won't just get the normal, poor August that we're so used to these days!

• Like 2

Posted

When is the last time we had a July like this? Without ANY warmth. I know 2012 was nasty but there was a week of warmth at the end. July 2020 hasn’t had any whatsoever and doesn’t forecast any.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

cloud.thumb.jpg.19be8fda82289dd1b76058bcecaa7499.jpg

Satellite for 1pm today - yet another day with the entire UK subjected to this crap cloudy weather with no sunshine. This summer is going to end up one of the worst in my lifetime if August doesn't do any better....

Posted

Take a closer look..it looks lovely..seriously i have never taken a holiday in this country for 30 odd years and never will again because off summers like this, a week in the med in september and a week in the canaries next january will satisfy me away from this vile dross!!!

ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 15 13.28.gif

• Like 1