Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
31 minutes ago, markyo said:

14c and heating on.....almost as strange as me 24c and having fans on!

14C is cold in Lancashire, esspecially in July! ❄️

And my house is often cold. Sigh.  

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

I’m getting sick to death of these dull days there’s just no interest no showers, storms just nothingness. This is eating up into best part of year. We need a factory reset.

• Like 2

Posted

I think I’ve been able to sit outside comfortably in the evening in just a t-shirt 3 times this summer. It’s been too cold or wet otherwise. Appalling. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I’m getting sick to death of these dull days there’s just no interest no showers, storms just nothingness. This is eating up into best part of year. We need a factory reset.

mate completely agree. Its just so boring . I have only recorded 48 hours of sun my part of Norfolk .. This is on par with July 2012 cool no sun just without the days of rain... We all know August will be a right off... Always has been as i stopped taken holidays during that month on how bad they are.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
39 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

14C is cold in Lancashire, esspecially in July! ❄️

And my house is often cold. Sigh.  

Sorry to hear that,it really has been a crap summer for yourself, fingers crossed August may bring something better, suspect a 2012 comparison  may be on the cards though.. No joking from me on  how i would love that, far from it, any missed season is depressing for those who enjoy it. I know how it feels. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, slater said:

mate completely agree. Its just so boring . I have only recorded 48 hours of sun my part of Norfolk .. This is on par with July 2012 cool no sun just without the days of rain... We all know August will be a right off... Always has been as i stopped taken holidays during that month on how bad they are.

Yep mate contender for most boring weather month of year, February was extremely wet but at least there was more going on. What makes matters worse while temps have been subpar here, still 19-22C it is not cold and has been very humid and damp which I despise. It’s not been unsettled either dry in SE what further makes matters worse there’s no justification for this endless cloud! 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted

Managed to reach 16.6c here but its been cloudy all day. A bit of blue sky here & there now but its too little too late. Why do skies always seem to clear at teatime!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Yep mate contender for most boring weather month of year, February was extremely wet but at least there was more going on. What makes matters worse while temps have been subpar here, still 19-22C it is not cold and has been very humid and damp which I despise. It’s not been unsettled either dry in SE what further makes matters worse there’s no justification for this endless cloud! 

Mother Nature works in a funny way... Just unbelievable Spring literally non stop sunshine. Only positive on this when we do get poor uk summers historically September can be excellent. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
11 minutes ago, slater said:

Mother Nature works in a funny way... Just unbelievable Spring literally non stop sunshine. Only positive on this when we do get poor uk summers historically September can be excellent. 

I'm quite confident that your September statement is somewhat nonsense so please provide that statistical evidence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
36 minutes ago, slater said:

I’ve yet to experience an excellent September after a poor summer in my 28 years on this planet.

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I think I’ve been able to sit outside comfortably in the evening in just a t-shirt 3 times this summer. It’s been too cold or wet otherwise. Appalling. 

That’s really poor isn’t it.

Even 2019 still produced some warm to hot days by at least this stage. 2017 also had some decent hot weather in July before the storms mid month.

I chose those two summers, because compared to 2020, just shows you how poor it’s been this year. August will have to be sunny and warm to salvage this summer. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, slater said:

But the only drawback by then is, a good September isn’t the same as having a decent July and August. The daylight is getting shorter, so it feels less summery by mid September.

Posted
7 hours ago, al78 said:

I thought you'd be used to that in the Lake District. Hilly areas in the west of the UK are always going to catch the cloud and rain, that is why they are the wettest places.

Yes but not endless perpetual cloud in the height of summer. I don't rate August as by then the atlantic clag tends to rule the roost, but I expect much better from July. Dull dull dull, fed up of it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
54 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I’ve yet to experience an excellent September after a poor summer in my 28 years on this planet.

Summer 2016 was poor here but was followed by an excellent September. We had the best weather in May, late August and September that year.

September 2011 is also a good example. I also remember we had a nice September in 2009, 2010 and 2014. August 2010 and 2014 were poor, summer 2009 was just benign.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I was surprised with some actual weather for a brief moment this afternoon when a heavy shower passed over. Otherwise it's been the usual cloudfest although not overly cool with a humid feel. 

• Like 2

Posted

2007 was considered by most of my generation to be basically the worst summer of our lifetimes. I went to Download Festival at Donington castle in June 2007 and it was boiling. We had a cracking storm in July 2007. I don’t remember too much else apart from the rain obviously and Rihanna being at number one with umbrella.

This summer, we’ve had the same short hot spell but no storms here - so it’s currently shaping up as worse than 2007 IMBY or at least very close.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
29 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Summer 2016 was poor here but was followed by an excellent September. We had the best weather in May, late August and September that year.

September 2011 is also a good example. I also remember we had a nice September in 2009, 2010 and 2014. August 2010 and 2014 were poor, summer 2009 was just benign.

Ah see here summer 2016 wasn’t bad at all, albeit better from mid July onwards. September though was really only two short spells in the first half of the month. Equally, the excellent September of 2011 was only the last four days of the month. It was actually a very very unsettled month, more so than July and August.

Now you mention it, 2009 is probably the closest match. September 2014 came off the back of a good June and July so not a poor summer. September 2010 was pretty average, if not rather chilly later on.

The search goes on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

We are half way through the summer and so far it  almost ranks alongside the abysmal 2008 and 2012,shocking!

Posted
22 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

We are half way through the summer and so far it  almost ranks alongside the abysmal 2008 and 2012,shocking!

From a Lake District perspective, I'd rank it a little higher than 2007, 2008 and 2012 so far, but only slightly. Worse than 2011 which was generally preety poor.

Order of worse summers since 2007 here are (in order of worse)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, slater said:

Atlantic tends to weaken in Sept and Oct, after dominating for last 2 months, then of course back again for 4 months of zonal hell

Posted

Seems to be a reoccurring theme of sunny early on in the morning, followed by thick cloud dominating all the way until the evening, with an hour or so of sunny intervals, back to thick cloud. 

The worse thing is that it doesn’t produce anything, no rain or even drizzle. Very much ‘nothingness’ for several days. 

• Like 2