Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

yesterday was a great day, the sun was out all day giving the temperatures a nice boost and was able to chill outside in the garden. We did have a little bit of rain last night but nothing much and now it seems the clouds are breaking to hopefully bring another great day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any description.

So here in Reigate just south of London I suppose I shouldn't complain (but I will) as it's been very mediocre weather the past few weeks, a few nice days upto 25 degrees but generally the theme has been dry and cloudy and boring. Thing that gets me is the lack of storms, none, not even one despite nearly everyone else getting some. Been many years since I can actually remember a good storm hitting here. I do feel sorry for other parts of the country who are having to endure utter dross everyday, fed up of hearing the Azores high edging towards us at D7 etc then changing. What is the point of the models at that range when they consistently get the wrong signals. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
15 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Right, I'm going to have a moan. Getting fed up with the cloud - days and days with very little sun. Also cool yet again. This is tiring now.

I thought you'd be used to that in the Lake District. Hilly areas in the west of the UK are always going to catch the cloud and rain, that is why they are the wettest places.

Posted

A nice warm sunny day yesterday, now the punishment weather has set in. Another summer day needing the lights on at solar noon. It is noticeablee just how dull many of the days have been, and struggling to get past 20C in the south east at climatologiocally the warmest time of the year is a bit ridiculous.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
31 minutes ago, al78 said:

A nice warm sunny day yesterday, now the punishment weather has set in. Another summer day needing the lights on at solar noon. It is noticeablee just how dull many of the days have been, and struggling to get past 20C in the south east at climatologiocally the warmest time of the year is a bit ridiculous.

even worse here, wrong side of the NW/SE setup

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
7 hours ago, Nick L said:

One thing I've found interesting about this July so far is how we've managed such suppressed temperatures, even despite sunshine at times. Just looking at the GFS for Sunday and it's got Wales and northern England struggling in the mid-teens despite sunshine!

It’s very strange isn’t it? July 2007 and 2012 had lots of rain and deep low pressure almost consistently parked over the top of the UK as an excuse for the low temperatures, but this July has just been extremely cool and extremely cloudy. Even on Friday and a week last Monday when we had lots of sunshine, temperatures barely scraped 16°C here.

My mean maximum for this month so far is a pathetic 15.5°C. Would be acceptable if I lived in Lerwick, but that’s a good 4 degrees below average for July here. 15.5°C is around the average for May or September here, or for London in October.

Even when the sun has been out it hasn’t felt particularly warm. It just doesn’t have the same strength as it would normally do at this time of year. Maybe something to do with the solar minimum? It’s as if we’ve just completely by-passed summer this year.

Today it’s overcast and currently 13°C. Would be acceptable if it was October.

• Like 1

Posted

winds seem to be north of west the problem, GFS 06Z as you'd expect virtually Atlantic dominated or troughs from 0 to 384, but at least some SW breezes there, could make it feel warmer

June 13-17 was decent, warm with thunderstorms

I just looked at the radar was really surprised by the extensiveness of rain over Ireland heading towards E+W. That level of wetness wasn’t even forecast 24hrs ago.

3 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

I think December 2015 had warmer days than in July 2020.  Never before seen a summertime with such an ongoing persistent N/S split. 

It’s not a complete N/S split, we are averaging nearly 2c below average for maxes and sunshine is only about 68hrs month to date. Had that in the last 4 days of May.....

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

It’s not a complete N/S split, we are averaging nearly 2c below average for maxes and sunshine is only about 68hrs month to date. Had that in the last 4 days of May.....

You are right, even in the SE it is mediocre to sub par, but I get the impression it is less bad here. My family live in Salford, and going by some of the posts on here, I suspect they've been experiencing late October weather for the last month or so.

You couldn't make it up, COVID restrictions easing, weather turns pants.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
6 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

2012 written all over this summer.. 2007 was very wet. 2012 did nothing. no sun no warmth and the odd day of rain here and there. Terrible summer so far..

June 2020 was infinitely better than June 2012 here. Over 3c warmer, drier, much sunnier.

Posted

14C cloudy and breezy, would be okay if it was mid October, unfortunately it’s mid July. Heating on again this afternoon. ☁️

Lets remember that high pressure ridging in from the south west isn't always a good things

Today 15Z 500mb chart with the 15.55 Radar.

GFSOPEU06_9_1Ugh.png

1555 1407.PNG

Posted

Summer 2020 is shaping up to be one of the poorest summers since 2007.

Its been very dull and theres not been many days since early June where the sun has been out from dawn until dusk, like during April and May. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Over here at least, I find this July to be reminiscent of July 2012. Perhaps not quite as wet, though temperature wise certainly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A lovely two days' suntanning weather, over here, yesterday and today... But, as I've had a tan since February (last-year's never washed off!) I'm nae complaining!:yahoo:

But beware, as @Northernlights pointed-out above, you don't need unbroken sunshine for high levels of UV...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
50 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

14C cloudy and breezy, would be okay if it was mid October, unfortunately it’s mid July. Heating on again this afternoon. ☁️

14c and heating on.....almost as strange as me 24c and having fans on!

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, al78 said:

I thought you'd be used to that in the Lake District. Hilly areas in the west of the UK are always going to catch the cloud and rain, that is why they are the wettest places.

Even the Lake District can expect some warm and sunny weather on some days during the spring and summer. I visited Keswick in early July last year and the weather was cracking, dry, mostly sunny and very warm.

However this summer there has barely been any warm and sunny weather in the north west region.

Posted
52 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Lets remember that high pressure ridging in from the south west isn't always a good things

GFSOPEU06_9_1Ugh.png

1555 1407.PNG

Aye, high pressure to the SW is grim here, probably the worst place for it, all times of the year, very dull, cool summer, mild winter, showers can be frequent from the Cheshire Gap

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

GFSOPEU06_9_1Ugh.png

1555 1407.PNG

The thing is that chart doesn't even look bad, pressure is fairly high over the country, jet stream and low pressure is to the north and we're bringing in a WNW flow. But with today's weather you'd think we're bringing in a chilly northerly or NE'ly.

The Synoptics that we've had this summer don't look too bad and look pretty average to me, but the weather and temperatures they've produced have been pretty apauling.

It just doesn't add up. I've had better weather from worse looking synoptics in the past.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1