Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Once every 30 years? You need to refresh yourself of such periods as summer 2012 or 2007. They might have been warmer but they were WET. It has been nowhere near as wet here as those two years and June wasn't as miserable as it was last year here when we had major flooding issues around the area. People were boating on low lying roads that had flooded out!

I have recorded the weather for 14 years, and this July has locally been WORSE so far than July 2007 and 2012, according to those (though that may not be the case by the end of the month however) and we already had more than our entire month's rainfall this July already? No flooding yet but I could easily see it happening if we get a lot more rain this month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

After yesterday’s sunshine, it’s back to normal here today. Overcast and drizzly early afternoon, clearing to cloudy with occasional sunny spells by late afternoon. It’s also quite humid as well despite the cooler temperatures. Currently around 16°C with 85% humidity.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
31 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Once every 30 years? You need to refresh yourself of such periods as summer 2012 or 2007. They might have been warmer but they were WET. It has been nowhere near as wet here as those two years and June wasn't as miserable as it was last year here when we had major flooding issues around the area. People were boating on low lying roads that had flooded out!

It's all rather 'meh' at the moment with partial ridging of the Azores HP bringing crud around the top...hence the greyness...however washout it isn't right now.

It hasn’t been quite as wet as 2007 or 2012, but we’ve had so many days this summer where it’s been unseasonably cold (below 15C) and overcast with rain/drizzle. The first 10 days or so of June were unseasonably cold, needed the heating on. This July has been the coldest and dullest I’ve ever known, so little sunshine and so many days not even reaching 15C. The house has never warmed up.

From a temperature/cloudiness perspective, it has been the worst for me. Sunshine and warmth is more important than dryness to me, I would rather have Lo-mid 20’s and sun most days with the occasional washout day than endless days of gloomy and drizzly weather with temperatures struggling to reach the mid teens and just the occasional warm sunny day.

• Like 2

Posted

It’s been an annoying summer. 

The last couple of days have been warmer, but planned another trip to the coast and we were greeted by sunny and partly cloudy skies with a chilly breeze. 

Felt like 24c when the sun was out and wind dropped, but we had to come away from the beach, as it was the nagging breeze that made it feel like 20c at times.

Just a bit too cool for my liking when going to the coast. Still, it was nice to have a change of scene.

Posted
5 hours ago, B87 said:

Is this going to end up like July 2010, which was warm in the SE (av max 25.0c), but terrible everywhere else?

I remember July 2010 here in the NW of England had a lot of sudden torrential downpours. There was also a big thunderstorm near the beginning of the month, or it might have been at the end of June 2010, after a period of hot weather, I can’t remember. Otherwise I think the month was pretty unremarkable here, near average temps (19/20C), sunny at times, cloudy at times, cool at times. August 2010 was cool and cloudy here, best weather was in June that year. I remember September 2010 was also pretty nice though.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s been an annoying summer. 

The last couple of days have been warmer, but planned another trip to the coast and we were greeted by sunny and partly cloudy skies with a chilly breeze. 

Felt like 24c when the sun was out and wind dropped, but we had to come away from the beach, as it was the nagging breeze that made it feel like 20c at times.

Just a bit too cool for my liking when going to the coast. Still, it was nice to have a change of scene.

Often the case being on the coast in summer. You get an annoying sea breeze. I went on holiday to Barmouth in August last year which is on the west coast of Wales, nearly every day was 17C with a very chilly nagging westerly breeze. Would have been pleasant enough without the breeze. Walking on the prom was a nightmare, as there was sand being blown off the sand dunes straight into my eyes and face, horrible.

Also went to the Tyne coast (NE England) in late June/early July 2018. While most of the country was getting warm sunny weather and thunderstorms, the NE was much much colder as the wind was easterly and coming straight off the freezing North Sea. Was 13C and foggy on one day, felt like winter.

Posted
43 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Often the case being on the coast in summer. You get an annoying sea breeze. I went on holiday to Barmouth in August last year which is on the west coast of Wales, nearly every day was 17C with a very chilly nagging westerly breeze. Would have been pleasant enough without the breeze. Walking on the prom was a nightmare, as there was sand being blown off the sand dunes straight into my eyes and face, horrible.

Also went to the Tyne coast (NE England) in late June/early July 2018. While most of the country was getting warm sunny weather and thunderstorms, the NE was much much colder as the wind was easterly and coming straight off the freezing North Sea. Was 13C and foggy on one day, felt like winter.

And this is why the UK staycation won’t take off. They want people to stay at home and not go abroad, but even if they stop flights, I’ll travel by land to warmer locations.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
5 hours ago, Alderc said:

Yep, reached 25C and then 26C on the 1st and 2nd of June, then 30 & 31C on the 24th & 25th, only made 23.8C on the 23rd and only 21C on the Friday 26th because the marine influence. This is only the second time we've managed 22c 3days on the trot......

only managed to get above 25c twice so far this summer on the 12th June and 23rd June..not got anywhere near 30c yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
22 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

And this is why the UK staycation won’t take off. They want people to stay at home and not go abroad, but even if they stop flights, I’ll travel by land to warmer locations.

Well it's no surprise that the cheap package holiday/budget/charter airline industry basically originated in the UK/Ireland.. wonder what the reason could be? The non-summers maybe!

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

The south coast of England (ie places like Bournemouth, Brighton, Bognor Regis, Isle of Wight, Torquay etc) is generally pretty reliable for warm, dry, sunny weather from May - Sep. Average highs in the low 20’s with lots of sun and not too much rain. Had a cracking weeks weather when I went to Paignton in South Devon (English Riveria) in late August 2017 - the bank holiday weekend in particular was absolutely spectacular, could not ask for better. Was like being abroad, esspecially with all the palm trees as well. Amazing area.

Posted

Could this be the first July for a while without 30C?

Temps up to 26C weekend here in the east, but this is like the coolest July in 30 years isn't it? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

So what was at one point looking like a nice few days is gradually looking increasingly gloomy. Going to see precious little sunlight over the coming days, and the initial promise of a nice weekend is looking in doubt too!

Posted

Right, I'm going to have a moan. Getting fed up with the cloud - days and days with very little sun. Also cool yet again. This is tiring now.

• Like 4

Posted
52 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

The south coast of England (ie places like Bournemouth, Brighton, Bognor Regis, Isle of Wight, Torquay etc) is generally pretty reliable for warm, dry, sunny weather from May - Sep. Average highs in the low 20’s with lots of sun and not too much rain. Had a cracking weeks weather when I went to Paignton in South Devon (English Riveria) in late August 2017 - the bank holiday weekend in particular was absolutely spectacular, could not ask for better. Was like being abroad, esspecially with all the palm trees as well. Amazing area.

Trouble is, you still get windy and cool days, even during a said hot spell of weather. Today, the nice weather was ruined slightly by the nagging wind. We came away from the beach after just two hours. Would have stayed for another two, had it been warmer and less windy.

Posted
14 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Right, I'm going to have a moan. Getting fed up with the cloud - days and days with very little sun. Also cool yet again. This is tiring now.

Oh, but apparently, this is good summer weather to some folk on this forum, who need a fan on if daytime temps exceed 24c lol.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Oh, but apparently, this is good summer weather to some folk on this forum, who need a fan on if daytime temps exceed 24c lol.

Or in Markyo’s case, 14C ha ha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes if kind of feels as if summer has just bypassed us this year. Sunny day yesterday, back to cloud with periods of drizzle today. A few occasional sunny spells.

There’s still time. 2016 didn’t really get going until this coming weekend and August / first half of September was very decent. Will be so fortunate this year... we shall see. I hope so, as I really really don’t want to have to go abroad to find good weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

It's increasingly looking like we really did have our summer three months early this year. Here in Worcs this would have to get far worse to beat 2007 and 2012 for miserableness. But it's on course to be the worst summer since 2012. The problem is how tedious it's getting. Time and again, a forecast 3-4 day spell of warm, bright weather is downgraded at the last minute to chilly gloom with drizzle. 9-10 hours of rain/drizzle today when nothing like that was forecast even last night. As East Lancs Rain says, a mixture of really nice days and heavy downpours would definitely be preferable to this near-constant murk and rubbish.

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted

I take it that the AAM or GLAM or B&Q or even the legendary CFS have not been playing properly lately.

All just computer generated predictions.

Apart from the new GLAMB&Q  lets rock model

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
51 minutes ago, Nick L said:

So what was at one point looking like a nice few days is gradually looking increasingly gloomy. Going to see precious little sunlight over the coming days, and the initial promise of a nice weekend is looking in doubt too!

Another case of models underestimating the Atlantic

Posted

While we are enduring this miserable summer, I decided to dig out my old diary from 2018 and had a look at my personal weather observations from that amazing summer. 

Here are my observations, took from my own weather sensor, outdoor readings on the left, indoor readings on the right. Notice how it slowly deteriorates during August lol. September 2018 wasn’t too bad either, but was much much cooler than the summer itself.

Despite the almost continuous heat through July, I never actually reached 30°C, but I came very close on a couple of days. 

Hard to believe it was only 2 years ago. Feels like longer.

0BE7B70A-4506-4072-A1FE-7C839316856B.jpeg

2AF064F6-1DD0-4F61-BEF7-6C7C3A67B534.jpeg

F8981C64-93DE-4397-AB79-6FDD497C7F93.jpeg

BB81B13B-4803-4702-ADF8-B7D7268B03FD.jpeg

86D102B4-FC44-44AC-B7B7-F05950D18608.jpeg

0D9AD678-B053-4388-A1D2-25B12AE3082B.jpeg

4A69E9E0-286C-43D9-AFF0-51A734CA0BCD.jpeg

2A21A9B7-2B8C-433B-9DA1-FC80AEE80DBE.jpeg

A6382776-4C39-4AAF-A9E8-43C08E18C68F.jpeg

706093C6-BE8A-44F6-97EC-F80F06819001.jpeg

5A55C3C6-6128-496A-8CA8-993E21A8589C.jpeg

03716402-5BEE-47AB-B4D5-4EF07E4C3E93.jpeg

C7100C85-0741-40D6-B87A-2A5BE35B2486.jpeg

429A0BE5-9386-4612-AC1B-6F9B63CB5926.jpeg

83F30D15-C6B8-43B1-A9CF-DDC9AFCC45A2.jpeg

5FC8C680-7D7F-4AB7-8364-9D66671344FA.jpeg

40579E19-9CB4-48BE-9C95-DEAE4361BE0D.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Or in Markyo’s case, 14C ha ha.

Lol oh yeah. Well, he has a fan on during winter and drinks in the beer garden when it’s 8c. Along with Froze and a few others.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

One thing I've found interesting about this July so far is how we've managed such suppressed temperatures, even despite sunshine at times. Just looking at the GFS for Sunday and it's got Wales and northern England struggling in the mid-teens despite sunshine!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Well, he has a fan on during winter

I'm sorry...please get your facts right...i have 2 fans on in the Winter!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
16 hours ago, Alderc said:

I know but warm days just aren't same, it dark before 8pm the sun doesn't really pack a punch. 

You need to get out of the UK if possible, I did and am glad of it. One less thing to worry about here generally, is crap summer weather ruining outdoor pursuits, such as camping. I feel much calmer, as a result