Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Have reached 24C today and that surprisingly makes it the 5th warmest day of summer - clearly a very low bar......

The whole summer, since 1st June? That is shocking.

Just now, B87 said:

Yep, reached 25C and then 26C on the 1st and 2nd of June, then 30 & 31C on the 24th & 25th, only made 23.8C on the 23rd and only 21C on the Friday 26th because the marine influence. This is only the second time we've managed 22c 3days on the trot......

Posted

Hopefully we have a warm September to help offset this summer then!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, B87 said:

Hopefully we have a warm September to help offset this summer then!

I know but warm days just aren't same, it dark before 8pm the sun doesn't really pack a punch. 

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Well here with a max of 25.6c that’s the 5th warmest day of summer very poor first half for very warm days for practically central London. You take the heatwave out the equation and it’s extremely poor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Taking temps out of the equation, the Summer so far has been dry here. Apart from 2018, up until this point, it has been drier than 2019, 2017, 2016, 2015 and 2014.

Being dry is more important, so nothing to complain about in that respect.

Posted

Well i'm not holding out for a nice september if august turns out similar to july..if hurricane season in the atlantic churns out the numbers what the forcasters are predicting that will be another spanner in the works of this summer!!

2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Taking temps out of the equation, the Summer so far has been dry here. Apart from 2018, up until this point, it has been drier than 2019, 2017, 2016, 2015 and 2014.

Being dry is more important, so nothing to complain about in that respect.

Maybe but we've had quite a few drizzly days and countless dry days that have been heavily overcast and very windy that haven't aided the very cool feel to things on every 7 or 8 days out of every 9.    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Maybe but we've had quite a few drizzly days and countless dry days that have been heavily overcast and very windy that haven't aided the very cool feel to things on every 7 or 8 days out of every 9.    

Maybe in your location. In the last 25 days, 6 days have had less than 2 hours of sunshine. Drizzly days, only 6 days as well.

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

It's only 21.9c here for the first 12 days of the month. Even with the next 2 weeks slightly warmer than average, it only gets up to 23.1c by 26th. We will need a heatwave in the final week for this month to end up near the 81-10 or 91-20 average.

23.0c is the limit of what I find an acceptable July here while still being below average. Any lower, and sunshine would need to increase drastically. We don't get cool and sunny summer months here though (eg 22c with 230+ hours).

I'd say 23.1C was quite near the 1981-2010 average if the very warmest stations have 23.5C as the average.

1 hour ago, B87 said:

At least it's not 2012 which had 3 days over 20C by this point here.

We get far less days over 25C here at my near-coastal location. It can be just a few a year, or in 2015, none!! I'd like more ideally but it can't be a deal breaker as the SW is the most popular UK 'staycation' area.

• Like 1

Posted

A very rough estimate and nowhere near perfect but generally I’d say over the past month of so, anywhere below the red line has got the best of conditions including the amount of sun/highest temperatures, least amount of rain and cloud levels. 

Above the red line it has been quite the opposite. 

E5626D60-9F5D-4305-AF19-1602A4427311.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

A very rough estimate and nowhere near perfect but generally I’d say over the past month of so, anywhere below the red line has got the best of conditions including the amount of sun/highest temperatures, least amount of rain and cloud levels. 

Pretty accurate i would say. 

Certainly been a decent summer so far here in the capital so far. Temps regularly in the mid 20s,plenty of sunshine and just the right amount of rain. Ive been in the mudlands and Northern England for work occasionally and yes it has been pretty dire up there. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Very dull here to date.

• Like 1

Posted

Based on the forecast, it doesn't look like the month will end up with an average high outside the 22.4c-25.4c range, meaning the 91-20 average for July should be 23.9c. Cooler than 22.4c and it'll be 23.8c; warmer than 25.4c and it'll be 24.0c.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Another autumnal day.  Rain first thing then heavy overcast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
7 hours ago, MP-R said:

This month is fast becoming boredom central! Kinda reminds me of July 1998.

Yes if kind of feels as if summer has just bypassed us this year. Sunny day yesterday, back to cloud with periods of drizzle today. A few occasional sunny spells.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

Aye the usual N/S split, or NW/SE, here is always on the wrong side, when the Atlantic dominates

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Just about reaching the mid point of the meteorological summer now and in my frank opinion it has merely been a typically mixed summer thus far. 

Unsettled spells have been mixed with brief settled and even very warm spells e.g a couple of weeks ago when we broke into the 30s. Pretty much what you can expect from a UK summer and pretty much as I thought would happen this year.

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Just about reaching the mid point of the meteorological summer now and in my frank opinion it has merely been a typically mixed summer thus far. 

Unsettled spells have been mixed with brief settled and even very warm spells e.g a couple of weeks ago when we broke into the 30s. Pretty much what you can expect from a UK summer and pretty much as I thought would happen this year.

Total of 7 days that have been dry, sunny with average or above average temperatures. That is absolutey pathetic.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
4 hours ago, B87 said:

It's only 21.9c here for the first 12 days of the month. Even with the next 2 weeks slightly warmer than average, it only gets up to 23.1c by 26th. We will need a heatwave in the final week for this month to end up near the 81-10 or 91-20 average.

23.0c is the limit of what I find an acceptable July here while still being below average. Any lower, and sunshine would need to increase drastically. We don't get cool and sunny summer months here though (eg 22c with 230+ hours).

That’s a shame, low 20’s and sun is an awesome combo in summer. Or at any time of the year really.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Total of 7 days that have been dry, sunny with average or above average temperatures. That is absolutey pathetic.

Well people were getting giddy back in April and May saying this could be a 2018 and I did try and warn them...

''No idea what people are expecting. We're looking at a generally mixed early summer IMO with useable periods alternating with unsettled.''

Posted on May 14th.

But of course it was an unfavourable opinion and so got shouted down by a few. It was always 'obvious' to me that the summer would be 'iffy'. You can also probably count on one hand the amount of times a warm and dry spring has been followed by a great summer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
17 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Wet June again, then July average max 4 degrees below average and more than the entire month's rainfall here. This type of start to July has a return period of perhaps once every 30 years here. Not merely anything. Unsettled and at times downright cold weather has considerably outstayed anything settled at this point in time, as shown by the bald stats. If there was an even mix of settled and unsettled then temps, rain and sun would come to somewhere around average. NOTHING like what this summer has been like.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Nonsense for my location. Wet June again, then July average max 4 degrees below average and more than the entire month's rainfall here. This type of start to July has a return period of perhaps once every 30 years here. Not merely anything. Unsettled and at times downright cold weather has considerably outstayed anything settled at this point in time, as shown by the bald stats.

Once every 30 years? You need to refresh yourself of such periods as summer 2012 or 2007. They might have been warmer but they were WET. It has been nowhere near as wet here as those two years and June wasn't as miserable as it was last year here when we had major flooding issues around the area. People were boating on low lying roads that had flooded out!

It's all rather 'meh' at the moment with partial ridging of the Azores HP bringing crud around the top...hence the greyness...however washout it isn't right now.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Well people were getting giddy back in April and May saying this could be a 2018 and I did try and warn them...

''No idea what people are expecting. We're looking at a generally mixed early summer IMO with useable periods alternating with unsettled.''

Posted on May 14th.

But of course it was an unfavourable opinion and so got shouted down by a few. It was always 'obvious' to me that the summer would be 'iffy'. You can also probably count on one hand the amount of times a warm and dry spring has been followed by a great summer. 

Yep,  and a good call.

• Like 1