Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
26 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Hard to believe that we are almost half way through the meteorological summer already. Time sure flies.

Are we? I never noticed it had started :oldlaugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Coolest day of the month so far here today, and the first below 20c. High of 19.7c.

Average high for the month now just 21.6c, getting into 2007/2012 territory. 20mm already recorded, about half the average precipitation for the month. Hopefully it warms up to at least average soon. It does seem like it could get briefly hot in around 10 days, with temps above 30c.

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

London weather forecast 14 days - Rain risk - Wind direction - HDD CDD

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Almost the warmest day of the month here and it only just went above 20°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
10 hours ago, matt111 said:

Horrible!

Posted

Is this really the worst summer people can remember in places like Yorkshire and Hampshire i.e. worse than 2012?

I suppose the weather can vary a lot around the country.. however here 2012 gave 186mm of rain in June, then 74mm in 24 hours on the 6-7th July with severe flooding, and a max of 14.2C (I was in Holland with 27C and sunshine ironically).

In 2012, a whopping 3 days had exceeded 20C by this date, and only by the 23rd July, did that rise above 4 days.
June 2012 mean max: 17.4C

This year, 13 days above 20C so far, 4 above 25C. 96mm in June, 7.8mm so far in July. 
June 2020 mean max: 19.9C.

Not amazing but much better than 2012 here.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
11 hours ago, matt111 said:

We haven’t even reached 20°C here yet this month!

Posted
12 hours ago, B87 said:

Average high for the month now just 21.6c, getting into 2007/2012 territory. 20mm already recorded, about half the average precipitation for the month. Hopefully it warms up to at least average soon. It does seem like it could get briefly hot in around 10 days, with temps above 30c.

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

London weather forecast 14 days - Rain risk - Wind direction - HDD CDD

Warmer than the highest max I’ve had this month, which was around 18°C on the 1st I think. If I had got to the 11th July and only had one day below 20°C, that would be considered pretty good round here. July 2018 was like that, with very few days where it didn’t reach 20°C. My house is actually colder than your lowest max temp, sad but true.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

rubbish day again, mostly cloudy, cool wind, okay if April

Yes, same here, what happened to that sunny day they were forecasting for today? Even the very mediocre weather that they are forecasting keeps getting downgraded, and gets worse everytime you look at it. Next week for example, a few days ago it looked like being 20/21C temps with sun/clouds, now it looks like the mid to high teens and mostly cloudy with rain at times.

Posted

Fairly nice here today although the cloud is trying its best to ruin it. Still a bit on the cool side though. 

Posted

Another lousy cloudy day in London despite being forecast sunnier spells, as usual clear as a bell early in morning then cumulus comes with a vengeance and then dissolves away as daylight fades. Lerwick has had more sun that London - atrocious!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Another lousy cloudy day in London despite being forecast sunnier spells, as usual clear as a bell early in morning then cumulus comes with a vengeance and then dissolves away as daylight fades. Lerwick has had more sun that London - atrocious!

Yes, indeed a build up of cumulus here too but luckily hasn't spread out like it sometimes does.. seems to be diminishing a bit now.  Ironically today will probably be the coolest day of the month cet wise so far, despite it being the most summery so far this month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
7 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

Is this really the worst summer people can remember in places like Yorkshire and Hampshire i.e. worse than 2012?

I suppose the weather can vary a lot around the country.. however here 2012 gave 186mm of rain in June, then 74mm in 24 hours on the 6-7th July with severe flooding, and a max of 14.2C (I was in Holland with 27C and sunshine ironically).

In 2012, a whopping 3 days had exceeded 20C by this date, and only by the 23rd July, did that rise above 4 days.
June 2012 mean max: 17.4C

This year, 13 days above 20C so far, 4 above 25C. 96mm in June, 7.8mm so far in July. 
June 2020 mean max: 19.9C.

Not amazing but much better than 2012 here.

This summer is not a patch on 2012 so far for grottiness. June 2012 was horrible, dull and very wet. July so far has been dull and cool, but mostly dry. I have an allotment and the weather this summer is good for working outdoors, pleasantly cool enough to not get sweaty, and just enough rain that I don't have the silly situation of having to dump 300 litres of water on my crops every week like I did in April and May. If the second half of summer carries on like July so far I agree it would be a poor one overall, but it is very rare for an entire season to have the same weather throughout, unless we are in a locked in weather pattern.

Posted

Wasn’t too bad today although I was expecting better. Sunny for a lot of the day but with a cool breeze which mean it was cooler than yesterday. 

Posted

One of my favourite things to do in summer is sit outside in the evening before bed and do some reading, but it’s been too cold this summer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
54 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Grim Poor campers, nothing worse than freezing in a tent in supposedly ‘high summer’

• Like 2

Posted

Yes a notably chilly night for mid July last night. Struggle on many nights in January to see such equivalent figures.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

I don't know what's worse, it being summer and never having actual good temperatures or it being winter and never having snow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
21 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes a notably chilly night for mid July last night. Struggle on many nights in January to see such equivalent figures.

That would be a comfortably above average night in January.

After 41days of summer yesterdays max of only 22.7c was the 6th warmest max of the season and indicates just how persistently cool it’s been....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
14 minutes ago, Alderc said:

After 41days of summer yesterdays max of only 22.7c was the 6th warmest max of the season and indicates just how persistently cool it’s been....

Yes it's been very poor esp considering april-may etc.the sst in the Atlantic are dropping quite early in the season also

Posted
54 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

I don't know what's worse, it being summer and never having actual good temperatures or it being winter and never having snow

The lack of warmth in the summer is more disappointing than lack of snow in winter.

Even in a mild winter, you still get the sense and feel of the season, whether it’s damp, cold, cloudy, frosty and sunny or snowing. A mild winters day might at worst feel like an extension of autumn, while cool and changeable weather in high summer, feels more unseasonal.

Its even more disappointing when you wait all winter to look forward to the coming summer, only to see temps struggling into the low 20s and unsettled. While not feeling cold, it doesn’t feel completely warm either. Then autumn rolls round again!

• Like 3

Posted

Forecast to reach the dizzy heights of 19°C today!  Will be the “hottest” day of the month so far here if the forecast high comes off. Currently 17°C. Plenty of sunshine too. Nice.

Posted

Why is it the forecast temperatures are consistently higher than the actual recorded maximum daytime temperature? Yesterday for example reached a measly 14.7°C at the nearest weather station, and about the same at Stonyhurst, despite the maximum temperature for yesterday forecast be be 17°C on Thursday and 16°C on Friday.

It’s completely the opposite to last summer and summer 2018, when the actual maxima were often 1 to 2° higher than what was originally forecast.