Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
4 hours ago, markyo said:

One month is not a Winter

As one Month is not a Summer

The winter of 2010-11 was below average in terms of temperature, despite a mild February. If you define a UK winter as having all three months having significant snow, then yes, the UK doesn't have winter very often, but I think that is a ridiculous benchmark. The UK is not Scandinavia and doesn't receive widespread lasting snow very frequently as a rule. Temperate and oceanic defines the climate, in winter snow that falls mostly thaws in a couple of days except at altitude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Coming up to mid point of Summer 2020, and given the immediate outlook, so far it is ranking as poor. Not a complete write off, but in the main disappointing most of the time.

We lost the sustained warm dry conditions bang on cue when June started, the first half then very cool, very cloudy and damp, then a warm very wet thundery shot mid month culminating in the hot shot around 24-26th, a 3 day wonder, then a very wet very cool end.

First half of July will end up being notably below average, very notably so, 20 degrees doesn't look like being breached which is the July average, rather wet and very cloudy despite what looks like a dry sunny weekend ahead.

Still lots of summer left to redeem itself, but the odds of sustained dry sunny weather diminish on average around here at least from mid July onwards, yet we tend to see our warmest weather from here on in and well into August, but the atlantic traditionally rules the roost and the added heat in the atmosphere tends to enhance the chance of heavy downpours and cloud cover in the afternoon.

Hoping we see at least one dry sunny warm spell before summer is out lasting more than just 3-4 days, a week or more would be good, preferably before mid August as light levels begin to erode by then and that late summer feeling takes hold.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Thundershine said:

I can understand snow lovers' disappointment in a way. I lived in the Peninnes during Jan+Dec 2010 and there was more than a foot of snow each month there. But I also commuted into Manchester and the midlands in those months, and both places had next to no snow at all, even in those supposedly cold and snowy winters. Quite pathetic.

There was certainly plenty of snow in Salford. A good eight inches in the back garden of my parent's house.

post-33445-0-23525900-1591377904_thumb.jpg

post-33445-0-76212300-1591377972_thumb.jpg

post-33445-0-36667200-1591377941_thumb.jpg

post-33445-0-73463700-1591377959_thumb.jpg

post-33445-0-86974700-1591377984_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, 2010cold said:

I think some, but not all people on these forums need a reality check. The UK isn’t supposed to be a warm and sunny country.  In my opinion, whilst it’s reasonable for people to want some dry, sunny and warm weather during Summer, it’s unreasonable to just expect warm, sunny and dry weather to last for the majority of Summer. Warm/hot weather lovers have been spoiled for the last 7 years, so I feel they shouldn’t be complaining as much as coldies who spend umpteen mild winters looking at cold and snowy day 10 model charts that never really materialise. If it wasn’t for the significant snow event in December 2017, I’d have gone over 7 years without a single notable snow event. Winter 2017-18 was a milder than average winter in the CET area, but had cold snaps to keep coldies happy. March 2018 doesn’t count because that was in meteorological spring, and it wasn’t until early in that March that I got heavy snow from storm Emma. However, with climate change, the Winter frustrations of coldies are only going to gradually worsen.

I don't think most people are complaining the weather isn't warm and sunny for weeks on end. They are complaining because the weather is persistently cloudy, damp and cool for the time of year. It is not unreasonable to expect more than the equivalent of a mild November in July.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
7 minutes ago, al78 said:

There was certainly plenty of snow in Salford. A good eight inches in the back garden of my parent's house.

post-33445-0-23525900-1591377904_thumb.jpg

post-33445-0-76212300-1591377972_thumb.jpg

post-33445-0-36667200-1591377941_thumb.jpg

post-33445-0-73463700-1591377959_thumb.jpg

post-33445-0-86974700-1591377984_thumb.jpg

I was working in the city centre where there was maybe 2 inches at best. Maybe some kind of urban heat effect?  There really wasn't much at all. I remember seeing the snow level go down as we stopped at each station on the way from Buxton to Manchester Piccadilly. About an inch lower each time we stopped!

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
4 hours ago, Thundershine said:

I can understand snow lovers' disappointment in a way. I lived in the Peninnes during Jan+Dec 2010 and there was more than a foot of snow each month there. But I also commuted into Manchester and the midlands in those months, and both places had next to no snow at all, even in those supposedly cold and snowy winters. Quite pathetic.

I guess it was pretty patchy. Here in north Worcestershire, which is often a bit of a snow desert, 2010 was easily the snowiest year since the 1990s. No, we didn't get a foot of snow at either end of the year, but then we never do. We didn't even in 1991. Actually the closest I've come here was 28 cm (from two events) in December 2017!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Can we stick with discussions about Summer 2020 please?

When it starts I will do.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Temperature hasn’t gone above 15°C at Stonyhurst during the last six days. Absolutely pathetic. And Stonyhurst isn’t some remote place in the Scottish Highlands either, it is one of three weather stations that make up the CET (Central England Temperature), not too far from where I live actually. Considering the CET mean is currently 15.3°C, the other two sites must have had considerably warmer temperatures.

Coldest spell of July weather I’ve ever known and the worst summer I’ve ever experienced (at least from a temperature/cloudiness perspective, though rainfall has been high as well yet again this summer).

WWW.WEATHERCAST.CO.UK

A graphical and tabular preparation of weather observations of last week by the WMO weather station from Stonyhurst, United Kingdom (99060). It is updated hourly.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, al78 said:

I don't think most people are complaining the weather isn't warm and sunny for weeks on end. They are complaining because the weather is persistently cloudy, damp and cool for the time of year. It is not unreasonable to expect more than the equivalent of a mild November in July.

Yeah, that’s my problem.

All the summers from 2015 until now have had days or even weeks where we’ve been stuck in a cloudy damp rut. 

Summer 2019 had far too many of those type of cloudy dank days, especially in August, so it made the summer poor for my neck of the woods. 

Several weeks of cloudy days, hovering around 18-21c in June to August just isn’t summer weather in my book. It’s poor summer weather. I hate feeling cold or having to wear a sweater or light jacket, because I know at some point it will feel too cold to walk around in a t shirt in those temps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe cold, heavy snow, massive thunderstorms and bright sunshine.
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

Blah blah blah it’s exactly the same for those seeking warmth in summer as it is for those seeking cold in winter - the difference seems to be, the heat lovers don’t spend the entire winter telling the coldies to suck it up, enjoy what they get and revel in their disappointment.

This summer has been utter garbo so far. A 3 day hot spell and then mainly suppressed autumnal greyness and rain for the rest of it. Aside from the brief thundery showers early in June, there’s been no convection either. Just dross here.

Just went out for a walk - the sun is out for once but the keen northerly breeze makes it feel like an early March afternoon. I’ve got a hoodie, sweatshirt and a longsleeve on.

If this is what we can expect for the rest of July/August then this will absolutely go down as the worst summer I can remember. Awful.

When have I told warm weather lovers to “suck it up”? I’m not the type of person to revel in other peoples disappointment either. If people enjoy hot weather, I don’t have any problem with that, and I have a problem with people who revel in people’s disappointment. I also don’t like being accused of being like that with people because I meant my comments with goodwill.

All I have said is that some people need to accept the UK isn’t supposed to be a warm and sunny country. I’ll expand on that comment by saying that compared to places like Spain, the UK isn’t warm and sunny.

I also said that warm weather lovers shouldn’t complain as much, compared to coldies who get frustrated in winter. I’ll expand on that comment by saying that over the last seven Summers from 2013-19, there has been at least a couple of hot, dry and sunny spells for warm weather lovers to enjoy, but with some cooler and wetter spells mixed in that they wouldn’t have enjoyed so much. Unfortunately for them, a poor Summer for warmth, sunshine, and dry weather will eventually happen because of the law of averages.

Maybe I moaned a bit about my fortunes regarding wintry weather, but I can, like others on these forums, moan about the weather.

I’m sorry if I’ve offended some people with my comments, I mean all of my Netweather comments in good nature, and never in my life do I ever intend to be nasty to anyone.

I would agree that this Summer has been poor for warmth, sunshine, and dry weather, but nobody can control the weather. 

Hopefully warm weather lovers will get more of the weather they like later in Summer, and if it makes them happy, I’m happy. 

Edited by 2010cold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

feels like it will be an autumnal night, clear skies, low temps in places tonight I feel

wait for the warm SW'lys in 6 months, will be milder nights then

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Can we stick with discussions about Summer 2020 please?

Interesting weather website you have there. Was interesting looking at the all time records and current observations. Your weather is definitely a lot better than the garbage I have to put up with! I’m guessing Dorset doesn’t do well for snow though.. I like your cat gif avatar by the way.

Posted
4 hours ago, 2010cold said:

I think some, but not all people on these forums need a reality check. The UK isn’t supposed to be a warm and sunny country.  In my opinion, whilst it’s reasonable for people to want some dry, sunny and warm weather during Summer, it’s unreasonable to just expect warm, sunny and dry weather to last for the majority of Summer. Warm/hot weather lovers have been spoiled for the last 7 years, so I feel they shouldn’t be complaining as much as coldies who spend umpteen mild winters looking at cold and snowy day 10 model charts that never really materialise. If it wasn’t for the significant snow event in December 2017, I’d have gone over 7 years without a single notable snow event. Winter 2017-18 was a milder than average winter in the CET area, but had cold snaps to keep coldies happy. March 2018 doesn’t count because that was in meteorological spring, and it wasn’t until early in that March that I got heavy snow from storm Emma. However, with climate change, the Winter frustrations of coldies are only going to gradually worsen.

I don’t think that’s true really. Apart from 2018 and 2013,  recent summers have tended to be quite poor, especially away from the south east. Summers 2016, 2017 and 2019 were all wetter than average here, and contained little warmth. Yes, there has been hot spells at times, but then again it is extremely rare to have a summer with no hot weather at all, just as it’s rare to get a winter with no cold weather at all (ie air frost, ice, overnight snow showers etc). In general, UK summers have generally been quite poor since 2007. There have been very few (if any) summers where it’s been consistently warm, dry and sunny throughout all three summer months, whereas winter 09/10 was pretty much consistently cold and snowy from beginning to end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe cold, heavy snow, massive thunderstorms and bright sunshine.
1 hour ago, al78 said:

I also don't think most people complain about the weather because it isn't warm and sunny for weeks on end. I'm just having one of my more vocal days on these forums. 

I said to my Dad on Tuesday that this weather wouldn't look out of place in October, and warm weather lovers should seek warm, sunny and dry weather in Summer, if that's what makes them happy.  

I also fully agree that this dull and wet weather that we've been having is very poor for lovers of warm, sunny, and dry weather.

Posted
37 minutes ago, 2010cold said:

When have I told warm weather lovers to “suck it up”? I’m not the type of person to revel in other peoples disappointment either. If people enjoy hot weather, I don’t have any problem with that, and I have a problem with people who revel in people’s disappointment. I also don’t like being accused of being like that with people because I meant my comments with goodwill.

All I have said is that some people need to accept the UK isn’t supposed to be a warm and sunny country. I’ll expand on that comment by saying that compared to places like Spain, the UK isn’t warm and sunny.

I also said that warm weather lovers shouldn’t complain as much, compared to coldies who get frustrated in winter. I’ll expand on that comment by saying that over the last seven Summers from 2013-19, there has been at least a couple of hot, dry and sunny spells for warm weather lovers to enjoy, but with some cooler and wetter spells mixed in that they wouldn’t have enjoyed so much. Unfortunately for them, a poor Summer for warmth, sunshine, and dry weather will eventually happen because of the law of averages.

Maybe I moaned a bit about my fortunes regarding wintry weather, but I can, like others on these forums, moan about the weather.

I’m sorry if I’ve offended some people with my comments, I mean all of my Netweather comments in good nature, and never in my life do I ever intend to be nasty to anyone.

I would agree that this Summer has been poor for warmth, sunshine, and dry weather, but nobody can control the weather. 

Hopefully warm weather lovers will get more of the weather they like later in Summer, and if it makes them happy, I’m happy. 

I wasn’t referring to you personally, but there are unfortunately a contingent of posters who do just that. Why? I’m not really sure to be honest.

Honestly though do you think anyone really thinks the UK is supposed to be a hot and sunny country like Spain? I think even the most die-hard heat seeker knows we have a climate which is nothing like Spain.

If the weather was at least average during the day (21ish degrees) dry, bright and useable, then you would be correct in saying we don’t really have much to moan about - but at the moment we’re scraping high teens down south and in the NW they’re just about scraping double digits.

Its the equivalent of that ghastly December 2016? Period when it was like 18 degrees just before Christmas. 

• Like 3

Posted
41 minutes ago, 2010cold said:

Not you, but people like Froze, and Cheeky   Monkey can sometimes come across condescending with their comments, towards anyone who happens to have an opposing opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I don’t think that’s true really. Apart from 2018 and 2013,  recent summers have tended to be quite poor, especially away from the south east. Summers 2016, 2017 and 2019 were all wetter than average here, and contained little warmth. Yes, there has been hot spells at times, but then again it is extremely rare to have a summer with no hot weather at all, just as it’s rare to get a winter with no cold weather at all (ie air frost, ice, overnight snow showers etc). There have been very few (if any) summers where it’s been consistently warm, dry and sunny throughout all three summer months, whereas winter 09/10 was pretty much consistently cold and snowy from beginning to end.

In those comments, I was judging Summers on hot spells and what the CET is, but I suppose we all recall and feel the weather differently. I suppose cloudy weather, even whilst it's warm isn't that great for a lot of people in Summer, and sunshine levels are more important for some people in judging what they think makes a Summer great for them.

I don't think there are many, or maybe any Summers in recorded history that have been warm, dry, and sunny throughout, maybe 1976 comes close.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I wasn’t referring to you personally, but there are unfortunately a contingent of posters who do just that. Why? I’m not really sure to be honest.

Honestly though do you think anyone really thinks the UK is supposed to be a hot and sunny country like Spain? I think even the most die-hard heat seeker knows we have a climate which is nothing like Spain.

If the weather was at least average during the day (21ish degrees) dry, bright and useable, then you would be correct in saying we don’t really have much to moan about - but at the moment we’re scraping high teens down south and in the NW they’re just about scraping double digits.

Its the equivalent of that ghastly December 2016? Period when it was like 18 degrees just before Christmas. 

I thought that was December 2015, where it was 16c for about a week or so into mid December.

2016 was colder I think.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It has been an exceptionally dull start to July in many parts of the country, and it has also been notably wet in north-west England, though not in the south of England where dull dry weather has reigned.  However, there's still a large part of July left, and for all we know the second half could prove to be very sunny and raise sunshine totals above the long-term normal.

And yes, Azazel is most likely recalling December 2015 not 2016.  That said, over much of Scotland December 2016 was warmer than December 2015.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

It has been an exceptionally dull start to July in many parts of the country, and it has also been notably wet in north-west England, though not in the south of England where dull dry weather has reigned.  However, there's still a large part of July left, and for all we know the second half could prove to be very sunny and raise sunshine totals above the long-term normal.

And yes, Azazel is most likely recalling December 2015 not 2016.  That said, over much of Scotland December 2016 was warmer than December 2015.

It was mild in December 16, but I also remember it being quite chilly and frosty in the November, and just after Christmas Day it became cold again. December 2015 was mild throughout, before it turned colder into January 2016.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
7 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I'm surprised how dry it's been here compared to seemingly everywhere else. I've only had 2.6mm so far this month and only had 26.8mm last month. If you looked at the grass you'd think we'd just had a long warm spell. 

Posted
27 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I apologise for accusing you of saying that I myself was telling people to "suck it up", I really don't like upsetting people, and I thought that I'd upset you.

Regarding people who enjoy people's disappointment and telling them to "suck it up", there are people who just like to wind others up, so it's best to just ignore it, and if they don't get a reaction they'll enjoy, they'll probably stop.

I suppose everyone on Netweather realises that the UK's climate is not like Spain. I think I used the Spain analogy to make a point, but my point has come across wrong, so I won't use that analogy again because I now think is as untrue. I would be good for a lot of people if the UK's climate was like Spain, so they wouldn't need to spend hundreds of pounds on holidays.

I would agree this weather has been very poor for those who like warmth, sunshine, and dry weather.

I hope the weather improves for warmth, sunshine, and dry weather lovers later in the Summer.

I suppose this weather we've been having is a bit like December 2015, which is my least favourite weather month of all time. My favourite spell of weather of all time is late November and December 2010.    

Edited by 2010cold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Hard to believe that we are almost half way through the meteorological summer already. Time sure flies.

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Not you, but people like Froze, and Cheeky   Monkey can sometimes come across condescending with their comments, towards anyone who happens to have an opposing opinion. 

Some people just need to be nice and also tolerant of other people's opinions.

The world would be a better place if some people focused on what they have in common with each other.

• Like 1