Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

You are very hard to please. Most cold lovers take whatever they can get, same with heat lovers.

Sorry,you've lost me there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Easily the best day for some time here. The suns out and it feels relatively warm. Could still be better but could be a lot worse. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
31 minutes ago, markyo said:

I don't, not now the climate has changed to such a extent. The winters i grew up with now are a distant memory.

Most of the cold Winters you grew up with would not have seen more than a month of extremely cold and snowy conditions. So how can you be so fond of those but not the Winter of 2010/11?

Childhood nostalgia is likely blurring your judgement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
4 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Easily the best day for some time here. The suns out and it feels relatively warm. Could still be better but could be a lot worse. 

Same. Decent day here in Edinburgh, dry and feeling warm in the sunshine. 

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

To be fair, three straight days of recording zero minutes (let alone hours) of sunshine is pretty bad for mid-Summer. Add to that hours of steady rain or drizzle then this week is probably as poor as you can get. 
On the flip side at least us southerners got to experience the dross that frequents northwestern areas (even when it is roasting hot down here at the same time).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well, the EC extended into next month, looks like more of the same.

Overall, a below average Summer temperature wise and above average rainfall looks certain. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I can understand snow lovers' disappointment in a way. I lived in the Peninnes during Jan+Dec 2010 and there was more than a foot of snow each month there. But I also commuted into Manchester and the midlands in those months, and both places had next to no snow at all, even in those supposedly cold and snowy winters. Quite pathetic.

Posted

Most of the morning here was ok, even had a bit of blue sky & sun. But its been lashing it down again most of the afternoon. Just for a change.

Posted
44 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Most of the cold Winters you grew up with would not have seen more than a month of extremely cold and snowy conditions. So how can you be so fond of those but not the Winter of 2010/11?

Childhood nostalgia is likely blurring your judgement.

It was a front ended winter,by New year there was nothing like wintry weather by me. Jan Feb were mild. Sorry nothing blurring my judgement at all. Yes Dec was a Winter month,no doubt at all,once in a generation for many but the rest of the Season was the opposite. As i said a season is 3 months,only 2009 has provided the last proper season this country has seen for decades. As for my childhood,78/79 had haw frost on buildings in North Yorkshire for weeks on end. Early 80's had repeated wintry conditions,not for weeks on end but stretched out over the season,that is my point. Apologies,don't want to get in to a argument bout this by the way!! 

On another note the current weather i'm sure you'll agree is not seasonal at all! Don't know why but i've got a feeling August may bring something more towards what many will like and look forward to..god knows after this year now is not the time to start arguing about what weather preferences are better! A usable summer is by far the better option,this weather for most is not sadly.

Edited by markyo

Posted
1 minute ago, markyo said:

It was a front ended winter,by New year there was nothing like wintry weather by me. Jan Feb were mild. Sorry nothing blurring my judgement at all. Yes Dec was a Winter month,no doubt at all,once in a generation for many but the rest of the Season was the opposite. As i said a season is 3 months,only 2009 has provided the last proper season this country has seen for decades. As for my childhood,78/79 had haw frost on buildings in North Yorkshire for weeks on end. Early 80's had repeated wintry conditions,not for weeks on end but stretched out over the season,that is my point. 

Winter 78/79 was one of the most severe seasons of the 20th century, so hardly an archetypal one from your childhood. And your point about 80s Winters leads to another contradiction, because your description sounds exactly like that of 2012/13, in which I, in mild Essex, saw falling snow in each of October, December, January, February, March, and April, as well as lying snow in every month from December to March inclusive. If 80s Winters make your list for the reasons given ("repeated wintry conditions") then why doesn't 2012/13?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The last two years we were really quite spoilt in terms of decent weather, so in the law of averages we were probably due a total dud month.

just for reference, the last seven summer months (all of 2018 and 2019 and June 2020) saw a maximum of or exceeded 32c. The last two summers also saw 35c reached as well.

Will this July fail to reach 32c? Or even 30c? Or will we finally see an improvement in our fortunes.

Posted
39 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Winter 78/79 was one of the most severe seasons of the 20th century, so hardly an archetypal one from your childhood. And your point about 80s Winters leads to another contradiction, because your description sounds exactly like that of 2012/13, in which I, in mild Essex, saw falling snow in each of October, December, January, February, March, and April, as well as lying snow in every month from December to March inclusive. If 80s Winters make your list for the reasons given ("repeated wintry conditions") then why doesn't 2012/13?

Because 2012/2013 was not exceptional by any means. Falling snow in oct,nov,dec,feb,etc means nothing!!!! Even in the hottest summers i'm sure at some stage we would have had "falling" rain how every light at some stage somewhere in each month! The early 80's were totally different, ever seen a snow cutter/blower clear have to clear your street? Had your whole town cut off for days? Theres no contradiction at all,sorry this isn't the right thread for this,better leave it at that.

Edited by markyo

Posted
41 minutes ago, markyo said:

Because 2012/2013 was not exceptional by any means. Falling snow in oct,nov,dec,feb,etc means nothing!!!! Even in the hottest summers i'm sure at some stage we would have had "falling" rain how every light at some stage somewhere in each month! The early 80's were totally different, ever seen a snow cutter/blower clear have to clear your street? Had your whole town cut off for days? Theres no contradiction at all,sorry

You must have been living under a rock, because such things did happen during the Winter of 2012/13. A quick Google search brought fourth pictures of cars buried, large snow drifts, and reports of extended road closures in Wales, Cheshire, Yorkshire, Durham, Cumbria, Dumfries and Galloway, even the Channel Islands (see below link for some nice pictures of this), and various other places across the country. This stuff was all over the news. Add to that the fact that March, for central England at least, was the coldest since the 1800s, and that prior to that wintry conditions, albeit less severe, occurred, as I alluded to before, in the months leading up to that. If that isn't "repeated wintry conditions" and doesn't constitute a proper Winter season, then I'm at a loss for what does.

article-2293273-18A98993000005DC-296_102
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

The worst snow storms in 26 years have caused havoc on the Channel Islands this week, leaving drifts up to 8ft deep.They are the worst snow storms to affect the island in...

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Relativistic said:

You must have been living under a rock, because such things did happen during the Winter of 2012/13. A quick Google search brought fourth pictures of cars buried, large snow drifts, and reports of road closures in Wales, Cheshire, Yorkshire, Durham, Cumbria, Dumfries and Galloway, even the Channel Islands (see below link for some nice pictures of this), and various other places across the country. This stuff was all over the news. Add to that the fact that March, for central England at least, was the coldest since the 1800s, and that prior to that wintry conditions, albeit less severe, occurred, as I alluded to before, in the months leading up to that. If that isn't "repeated wintry conditions" and doesn't constitute a proper Winter season, then I'm at a loss for what does.

article-2293273-18A98993000005DC-296_102
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

The worst snow storms in 26 years have caused havoc on the Channel Islands this week, leaving drifts up to 8ft deep.They are the worst snow storms to affect the island in...

I give up,its pointless. Enough said,this is the wrong thread for this.

Posted
5 minutes ago, markyo said:

I give up,its pointless. Enough said,this is the wrong thread for this.

True, wrong thread. I just can't understand why your opinion so regularly has to differ from everyone else's, and I guess I gain nothing by trying to convince you otherwise. So I'll leave it there.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe cold, heavy snow, massive thunderstorms and bright sunshine.

I think some, but not all people on these forums need a reality check. The UK isn’t supposed to be a warm and sunny country.  In my opinion, whilst it’s reasonable for people to want some dry, sunny and warm weather during Summer, it’s unreasonable to just expect warm, sunny and dry weather to last for the majority of Summer. Warm/hot weather lovers have been spoiled for the last 7 years, so I feel they shouldn’t be complaining as much as coldies who spend umpteen mild winters looking at cold and snowy day 10 model charts that never really materialise. If it wasn’t for the significant snow event in December 2017, I’d have gone over 7 years without a single notable snow event. Winter 2017-18 was a milder than average winter in the CET area, but had cold snaps to keep coldies happy. March 2018 doesn’t count because that was in meteorological spring, and it wasn’t until early in that March that I got heavy snow from storm Emma. However, with climate change, the Winter frustrations of coldies are only going to gradually worsen.

• Like 1

Posted

So far this month the average max I've recorded is 19.7C, markedly below the overall July average of 22.9C for here.

I've not recorded anything above 21.3C for 14 days in a row.

I checked my records (starting Sept 2013) for summer spells of maximums below 21.5C in summer months, lasting 10 days or more. There've been 6:
Aug 2014 - 14 days in a row
Aug 2015 - 10 days
Jul 2017 - 10 days
Jun 2019 - 14 days
Jun 2020 - 10 days
Jul 2020 - 14 days so far

Given the forecast for tomorrow is 20C, I expect this month will deliver the longest spell of <21.5C temperatures I've recorded - and the first summer to have two such spells of coolness!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, 2010cold said:

I think some, but not all people on these forums need a reality check. The UK isn’t supposed to be a warm and sunny country.

It isn't supposed to be a cold and snowy country either, but that doesn't stop this place going into meltdown at the slightest hint of below average charts in winter. I get more 30c days than snowy days in a normal year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Mostly sunny here today but very chilly for July. It was a cold morning as well. Could see my own air. Windows steamed up at 6 am. Max 15.7°C.  A chilly NW wind. Like a day in April or September, not July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
4 hours ago, markyo said:

Sorry,you've lost me there

My point was that in December 2010 we experienced the 2nd coldest December on record but you write it off as a winter just because January and February were milder.

Most cold lovers would be satisfied with a freezing January, even if December and February were milder, just like most heat lovers would be happy with a really hot July, even if June and August were cooler.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
5 hours ago, Leo97t said:

Yes the last 2 weeks have been poor, but there was heatwave before that. April and May were the sunniest on record and May was the 3rd warmest on record in the south. I think you need a reality check. We are overdue some poor weather

The heatwave lasted no more than three days and we had plenty of poor weather in autumn and winter last year, culminating in the wettest February on record and destructive flooding in several places. I would say the spring we had was adequate compensation for this (perhaps overcompensation).

Even last June, which was the end of the persistent warm dry locked in weather pattern, I was backpacking in the Scottish highlands over the first two weeks, and the only sunny day I got was the day I was leaving. The good old UK summer killer, the stalled low. Force 7-8 crosswinds on the Ullapool-Stornoway ferry were great fun as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
5 hours ago, markyo said:

2009 to 2020 the 11 years without a Winter

You have forgotten about 2010, the coldest December for 100 years. March 2013, the coldest for 50 years

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, 2010cold said:

I think some, but not all people on these forums need a reality check. The UK isn’t supposed to be a warm and sunny country.  In my opinion, whilst it’s reasonable for people to want some dry, sunny and warm weather during Summer, it’s unreasonable to just expect warm, sunny and dry weather to last for the majority of Summer. Warm/hot weather lovers have been spoiled for the last 7 years, so I feel they shouldn’t be complaining as much as coldies who spend umpteen mild winters looking at cold and snowy day 10 model charts that never really materialise. If it wasn’t for the significant snow event in December 2017, I’d have gone over 7 years without a single notable snow event. Winter 2017-18 was a milder than average winter in the CET area, but had cold snaps to keep coldies happy. March 2018 doesn’t count because that was in meteorological spring, and it wasn’t until early in that March that I got heavy snow from storm Emma. However, with climate change, the Winter frustrations of coldies are only going to gradually worsen.

Blah blah blah it’s exactly the same for those seeking warmth in summer as it is for those seeking cold in winter - the difference seems to be, the heat lovers don’t spend the entire winter telling the coldies to suck it up, enjoy what they get and revel in their disappointment.

This summer has been utter garbo so far. A 3 day hot spell and then mainly suppressed autumnal greyness and rain for the rest of it. Aside from the brief thundery showers early in June, there’s been no convection either. Just dross here.

Just went out for a walk - the sun is out for once but the keen northerly breeze makes it feel like an early March afternoon. I’ve got a hoodie, sweatshirt and a longsleeve on.

If this is what we can expect for the rest of July/August then this will absolutely go down as the worst summer I can remember. Awful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Because 2012/2013 was not exceptional by any means. Falling snow in oct,nov,dec,feb,etc means nothing!!!! Even in the hottest summers i'm sure at some stage we would have had "falling" rain how every light at some stage somewhere in each month! The early 80's were totally different, ever seen a snow cutter/blower clear have to clear your street? Had your whole town cut off for days? Theres no contradiction at all,sorry this isn't the right thread for this,better leave it at that.

Winter 12/13 saw a lot of falling and laying snow here. I distinctly remember playing football in the snow and ‘skating’ to the takeaway to pick up an Indian. Infact I also remember being sent home from work a few times because of the snow.

61AA78F9-3ECB-4288-8F90-F54FCC0EDCD0.jpeg

63740745-7047-4E9A-91A8-F10978C5382E.jpeg

• Like 1