Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, marky810 said:

This disgusting July weather rolls on with another day of constant drizzle and only 12.9c. I'm looking forward to the weekend with sunny spells and 16 - 19c highs which are still below average but don't care!

I thought you loved this kind of weather? Lol.

• Like 1

Posted

It's not been quite as bad down here, for example to the south of the weather front and in the lee of Dartmoor the last 3 days have seen maxima of 20.5C, 21.9C, and 20.3C. Although I was in North Devon yesterday where the weather was worse.

Rather cloudy though, and a humid feel.

All maxima since 18th June have been over 18C. However, if this is the flavour of summer as a whole it would be the first one I'd call 'poor' overall here since 2015 and then 2012.

It kind of feels later in the year than it really is to me. Due to early Autumn (or recent August) like weather recently, but also probably due to all the dry sunny weather in Spring and the grass going brown in May, then lush green in June. 
The past two years have had some brown grass in July (more so in 2018 of course but July 2019 was a good month here), then green in August.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
45 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Seems like the nights are rapidly drawing in. Obviously psychological as we've only lost about seven minutes at sunset. 

It’s the dull evenings.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe cold, heavy snow, massive thunderstorms and bright sunshine.
2 hours ago, Relativistic said:

For context, since 1878 when the record began, only seven Julys finished with a mean maximum below 18C. The opening third of the month looks set be running in the high 17s. Maintaining such suppressed maxima for the entirety of the month will, however, be difficult, and the figure is set to rise a little in the second third of the month if current forecasts are accurate. Will be interesting to keep an eye on this as we move forward, though.

Where do you find stats for those Julys?

Edited by 2010cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, marky810 said:

This disgusting July weather rolls on with another day of constant drizzle and only 12.9c. I'm looking forward to the weekend with sunny spells and 16 - 19c highs which are still below average but don't care!

Sucks though, sunny spells 16-19 degrees, would sound great if it was early March

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
6 minutes ago, 2010cold said:

Where do you find stats for those Julys?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
11 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Latvia tends to do better than the UK in summers, but even they have unsettled rainy days, but never for too long. 

Anytime I’m over there between June and August, we usually encounter one or two thunderstorms, although it’s not always a guarantee. 

There’s one big difference in a Prague summer vs a London summer - the amount of thundery weather - loads more here ?? Plus there isn’t all that horrible grey clag that often obscures so much of the sky. There are many stunning cloudscapes here regularly, as a result. 

Quite a cool and wet summer here, so far, which is needed for the forests that are suffering with bark beetle attacks. Hopefully some warm and sunny weather to enjoy, too, though. It’s been pretty awful in the UK for a few weeks now, hopefully a vast improvement there, soon!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s the dull evenings.

You can say that again. I thought today was dull enough but this evening took that to another level. Seemed like it was half way to being dark by 8pm.

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

There’s one big difference in a Prague summer vs a London summer - the amount of thundery weather - loads more here ?? Plus there isn’t all that horrible grey clag that often obscures so much of the sky. There are many stunning cloudscapes here regularly, as a result. 

Quite a cool and wet summer here, so far, which is needed for the forests that are suffering with bark beetle attacks. Hopefully some warm and sunny weather to enjoy, too, though. It’s been pretty awful in the UK for a few weeks now, hopefully a vast improvement there, soon!

You will more than likely see another August 6th 1981 storm in Prague summers. I think riga had one a number of years ago, but I also remember the one that hit Donetsk during the Euro 2012 tournament. It went pitch black during the France v Ukraine game, they had to stop play for about an hour.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

With the exception of a few days here and there, I have a feeling this is going to be the main theme for the rest of the summer seeing as weather blockages seem to be coming more and more common nowadays. And going by past experiences, dry and sunny springs quite frequently lead to poor summers for some reason. Whilst I admit that I did get bored of the dry and sunny weather we had during the spring, I certainly do not want a poor summer either. Why can't we just have more changeable weather? That is part of the beauty of our climate, and also keeps things interesting.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
9 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

I think its pretty evident that once the Atlantic attacks up and the jet is angled in such a position.. That it takes a lot to shift it.As for writing off seasonal forecast. YOU CANT DO A SEASON FORECAST IN THE UK.so there is no need to protect it?

Yes you can. It might not have much, if any skill, but you can do one if you can find a predictor or two. There have been several attempts at seasonal forecasts for the winter NAO and UK winter.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

June may have been warmer than average, but it was on the poor side. Only 7 hot and sunny days, while the rest was mostly cloudy and unsettled.

There was a fair bit of spatial variation. It was a very wet month in the SW, but the SE counties had near average sunshine and rainfall. Hot and sunny days have always been short lived in summer, the UK is not the Mediterranean, despite the spring we've just had.

Posted
4 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Sucks though, sunny spells 16-19 degrees, would sound great if it was early March

Well, yes, that would be well above average in early March. Early March is still effectively winter, plant life doesn't wake up properly until near the end of the month and when the soil temperature starts to warm up.

Posted

So far July has been notable for extremely dull days. It is ridiculous to need lighting on at solar noon in summer. Fortunately in my location the dull days have been interspersed with sunny days, except for the last two days of back to back clagfests. The dullness really makes it feel like autumn, as it feels like twilight has arrived an hour and a half before sunset.

The gem squash in my greenhouse doesn't know whose climate it is experiencing. It went rampant in April and May, and I had problems with the greenhouse overheating (well over 40C on some days before I applied shading paint). June arrives and it is as if we swapped spring and summer around, the gem squash threw out loads of flowers but only this last week have actually produced any squash. It is as if they slammed the brakes on development as soon as we got into the meteorological summer.

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

With the exception of a few days here and there, I have a feeling this is going to be the main theme for the rest of the summer seeing as weather blockages seem to be coming more and more common nowadays. And going by past experiences, dry and sunny springs quite frequently lead to poor summers for some reason. Whilst I admit that I did get bored of the dry and sunny weather we had during the spring, I certainly do not want a poor summer either. Why can't we just have more changeable weather? That is part of the beauty of our climate, and also keeps things interesting.

I've had a look at the correlation between April rainfall and the following summer rainfall, and there is nothing significant. There might be a couple of years where an inverse correlation was present but it doesn't hold up over the last 50 or so years at least.

Posted
8 minutes ago, al78 said:

Yes you can. It might not have much, if any skill, but you can do one if you can find a predictor or two. There have been several attempts at seasonal forecasts for the winter NAO and UK winter.

I could say this and that.and  do it several times and one or two times my prediction will come true.. I was just mentioning how nearly all the major models were predicting an above average summer temperature and drier than average.

We haven't reached 20C in nearly   2 and half weeks. we haven't even got past 15c in the last few days. No one predicted this  was going to happen. Because no one can. Not with the UK climate its impossible. Even on Tuesday, next week was looking good for most of the UK. again that's back tracked now. Of course the BBC have been going on in their recent monthly  outlooks how the last 2 weeks of July and early August are usually the hottest part of the summer.. There is simply no need to mention it.. Just give some facts. They cant predict it will happen. so again they should keep their mouths shut..

The BBC have also mentioned  the word heatwave in previous forecasts. the weather is dismal even by UK standards. obviously you cant make the weather you want to happen. But don't give false and misleading information.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

I could say this and that.and  do it several times and one or two times my prediction will come true.. I was just mentioning how nearly all the major models were predicting an above average summer temperature and drier than average.

We haven't reached 20C in nearly   2 and half weeks. we haven't even got past 15c in the last few days. No one predicted this  was going to happen. Because no one can. Not with the UK climate its impossible. Even on Tuesday, next week was looking good for most of the UK. again that's back tracked now. Of course the BBC have been going on in their recent monthly  outlooks how the last 2 weeks of July and early August are usually the hottest part of the summer.. There is simply no need to mention it.. Just give some facts. They cant predict it will happen. so again they should keep their mouths shut..

The BBC have also mentioned  the word heatwave in previous forecasts. the weather is dismal even by UK standards. obviously you cant make the weather you want to happen. But don't give false and misleading information.

This ain’t true most seasonal models were going for an average summer different on recent summers. So they may have picked up right signal. I know ECM and GLOSEA model was keen on Atlantic ridging, and this has been seen more of that in near future with troughing close to NW Europe. 

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
20 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

This ain’t true most seasonal models were going for an average summer different on recent summers. So they may have picked up right signal. I know ECM and GLOSEA model was keen on Atlantic ridging, and this has been seen more of that in near future with troughing close to NW Europe. 

I must have read something different. And they are not on the right signal  with it being an average summer. This a very poor start  to a summer. Even for the UK and its not going to improve for a long while.

All I am saying its not possible to be correct on a long rage seasonal models. When they cant even get a forecast correct for a few days ahead. No one should do long rage forecasts for the UK. Should have DONT KNOW.. and leave it there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I just want a few days of dry weather - that’s all. It doesn’t need to rain every single day!

• Like 1

Well in the last 13days we’ve only reached 21c/70f once, which is shockingly bad for down here in high summer, there was a similar spell in the first part of July 2015 where it only reached 22c twice in the first 15days of the month before a pretty decent improvement, looking at the next few days the first half of this July will likely just sneak ahead of the first half of 2015. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Had hotter weather in February 2019 lol.  What a joke this July is turning out to be.  Better have a scorching August after this.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Felt more like a pleasant, late September morning this morning. Sunny but not warm at all. 

• Like 1