Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
7 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

At least it's not like July 1988. That month was an absolute disaster. It was the last July to have a CET below 15°C, but even more of a shocker was the maximum temperatures. London didn't record a temperature higher than 22°C that month, Plymouth didn't get above 18°C and poor old Lands End didn't get above 16°C.

Yes July 88 was bad. 

But, an August like 1986 to follow this would be shocking.

Edited by Sunny76

Posted

It's certainly been a damp 48 plus hours for any of us living north of London. 

Look at that large swath of heavy rain running west to east further north. It'll be interesting to see some rainfall totals over the past few days. 

image.thumb.png.3769c2cd62cb7396a984b48fccf740c4.png

• Like 2

Posted
16 hours ago, B87 said:

Only directly on the coast. Easterly winds from a warmish sea in summer won't be too much of a problem inland.

It definitely suppressed temperatures even in inland Essex at the end of June during that hot spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Today I had a max of 14.8°C and a min of 9.9°C. And it stayed overcast all day.. With rain by the evening... It's been like a typical summer day in Letwick lol. All that's missing is the strong winds!

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, markyo said:

air con is set to 16c. Just can't stand a warm bedroom! It would be impossible for me to sleep in a room over 20c. For me summer months are hell for sleeping,also blinking expensive!!!!

Agreed! I have a portable air con unit in mine which is usually set to 18/19C and it does the trick. Anything above that and it's too warm for me to sleep even with just a thin sheet over me.

• Like 2

Posted

This is the worse start to a July I can ever remember..And remember how nearly all the forecasts models at the start of summer predicted a warmer and drier summer over all? how utterly wrong are they? serious nonsense. Even the Met office is struggling to pin down next midweeks weather..having watched their 10 day  trend.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

At least it's not like July 1988. That month was an absolute disaster. It was the last July to have a CET below 15°C, but even more of a shocker was the maximum temperatures. London didn't record a temperature higher than 22°C that month, Plymouth didn't get above 18°C and poor old Lands End didn't even reach 16°C. It rained every day in Cumbria and most places in the South didn't get above 21°C. It was an absolutely diabolical month.

Looked through Manchester airport's records for that month & it did not get above 21C. Even July 2012 had a few days in the mid 20s toward the end of the month. I'd be surprised if we got a month as cool as July 1988 as we're not even half way through this one yet. But there's nothing indicating temps well into the 20s for at least a week for our region. Temps probably hovering from 16C to around 20C at the very best.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Even abroad isn’t safe from getting crap weather in summer! Despite the myth in this country that everywhere in Europe is always hot and sunny in the summer.

That’s true, especially for NW Europe. For C and E Europe, it’s usually warmer, sunnier and more settled generally, but not this year. 

Posted

Yet another dismal Summers morning around the north midlands. it looks horrid outside again ?️?️?️

Cannot remember a start to July being this bad

How we are now paying for that fine Spring as often seems to be the case

Even all the bedding plants look drowned in our garden and having to put the heating on to dry the washing:nonono:

Posted
10 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

This is the worse start to a July I can ever remember..And remember how nearly all the forecasts models at the start of summer predicted a warmer and drier summer over all? how utterly wrong are they? serious nonsense. Even the Met office is struggling to pin down next midweeks weather..having watched their 10 day  trend.

I like how some folk on here are keeping quiet at the moment, but a week of 24c plus weather, and they’ll be back out telling us how this month is another warmer than average month, and how hot it was lol.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

That’s true, especially for NW Europe. For C and E Europe, it’s usually warmer, sunnier and more settled generally, but not this year. 

Latvia tends to do better than the UK in summers, but even they have unsettled rainy days, but never for too long. 

Anytime I’m over there between June and August, we usually encounter one or two thunderstorms, although it’s not always a guarantee. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, OddSpot said:

Yet another dismal Summers morning around the north midlands. it looks horrid outside again ?️?️?️

Cannot remember a start to July being this bad

How we are now paying for that fine Spring as often seems to be the case

Even all the bedding plants look drowned in our garden and having to put the heating on to dry the washing:nonono:

It will be really depressing if we get another very mild winter with rain, following a poor summer. 

Hopefully a snowy, or at least colder winter this year will be the trade off, for witnessing such poor summer conditions. A warm August might change that, but I can’t see that happening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I like how some folk on here are keeping quiet at the moment, but a week of 24c plus weather, and they’ll be back out telling us how this month is another warmer than average month, and how hot it was lol.

Aye... And that's why I always think it best we delay 'calling' a month until after it's actually happened, and not be tempted to call a 'write-off' when only 9-days in!:oldlaugh:

Posted
13 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Aye... And that's why I always think it best we delay 'calling' a month until after it's actually happened, and not be tempted to call a 'write-off' when only 9-days in!:oldlaugh:

But, even you have to admit it’s very poor, and not that warm for July. I’m still able to get out and about, but the lack of sunshine is a little depressing.

Still, it’s much quieter outside. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
46 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

If the stats say it ends up being an above average month then it will be an above average month.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
38 minutes ago, Nick L said:

If the stats say it ends up being an above average month then it will be an above average month.

I don’t CARE what the stats say! It’s been an ABSOLUTELY atrocious month and unless the rest of the month is fine, sunny and mid 20’s temperatures then it’s a write-off as far as I’m concerned. Which looking at the forecast is extremely unlikely.

If the Met Office say it’s been another warmer than average month I’ll eat my bunny rabbit.

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I mean from the perspective of people saying how warm or hot it was, and ignoring the poorer conditions.

2004 summer was like this in July, and parts of August were also very dismal. But, some people just remember the heat and humidity. Yes it was warm, but there was a lot of poor weather that summer.

2020 still has a chance to improve.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I don’t CARE what the stats say! It’s been an ABSOLUTELY atrocious month and unless the rest of the month is fine, sunny and mid 20’s temperatures then it’s a write-off as far as I’m concerned. Which looking at the forecast is extremely unlikely.

If the Met Office say it’s been another warmer than average month I’ll eat my bunny rabbit.

I agree with this.

I get tired of people like Froze always saying things like ‘comments based on you’re own backyard’. If the weather is poor where I live, then it’s poor as far as I’m concerned. 

• Like 2

Posted

Im quite enjoying this cool damp weather. Nice and refreshing. It cant be sunny and hot all the time. This is the Uk, not the Mediterranean. It ll end up being a fairly average summer down here in the SE. Miserable from the Midlands northwards though. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Im quite enjoying this cool damp weather. Nice and refreshing. It cant be sunny and hot all the time. This is the Uk, not the Mediterranean. It ll end up being a fairly average summer down here in the SE. Miserable from the Midlands northwards though. 

Yes I get that, and this helps to keep the air fresh. But, it does feel we’ve had a little too many dull overcast days since early June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

If we end up having an average month in terms of temperature and sunshine amounts (not saying that will happen) and it doesn't feel like it was, perhaps it's expectations that need altering? 

Posted

Manchester Summer Index is tanking, it has dropped to 176 up to yesterday.

Looked at the sunshine figures at Rostherne which is near Manchester Airport, just 12hrs of sunshine this month up to sunset yesterday.  Compared to 2 years ago when we were in the midst of a great summer spell with 108.7hrs.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Most people are aware of what to expect in this country. No amount of turd polishing will mask the fact that it's been poor so far this month, on a whole different level to June. Now, if we get an equally long settled spell to follow, then July will balance out but if it carries on in a similar vein with only the odd day of settled conditions, it will have been poor overall, especially if temperatures are struggling to even brush 20C.

For me, the worst thing about the current cool unsettled spell, is just how boring it is! Nothing convective and sunshine well down. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
15 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Spot on Dan!

Several 1000 word posts don't change the facts, its been poor and the models called it.

Lets hope things improve 2nd half of July, TBH I think it will get better, cant get much worse?

Yes it can get much worse, remember July 2007?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
12 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

June was warmer than average, although wetter. We are not even half way through summer yet so best to reserve judgement of the seasonal forecasts until after the season has finished.