Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Another very poor day summers day ahead and whatever the view out the window you have now it'll probably not change today or tomorrow. 17C here with a 16C dew point again that'll change little in the next 36hrs so really very poor and very different from forecast 4-5days ago which had almost all of this week dry and sunny in the south.

Just to add this is exactly the sort of weather that skews the CET, daytime maxes 3-6C below average, while night minima are 3-6C above average. 

Also has to be said high pressure looking a bit shaky through next week. Frontal activity making inroads into Monday and Tuesday. 

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Next week looking pants! on GFS 06Z, had enough now, could summer be finished for the NW? too early to say, but westerlies all the way

10 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Next week looking pants! on GFS 06Z, had enough now, could summer be finished for the NW? too early to say, but westerlies all the way

The GFS 06Z is massive kick in the goolies - Highly likely this will be poorest July since 2012 now, will take a big last 10days to avoid being a duffer of a summer month.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

while night minima are 3-6C above average. 

Are you talking about Bournemouth? I'm running 1.7°C below my minima average for July.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
10 minutes ago, Alderc said:

The GFS 06Z is massive kick in the goolies - Highly likely this will be poorest July since 2012 now, will take a big last 10days to avoid being a duffer of a summer month.....

What is it with your infatuation of GFS, every run is showing a completely different forecast and can not be trusted at all. The EC weeklies are much more promising as is the Met update, and tbh the EC46 as been pretty acurate so far this summer.. What I can't understand is you moan about these unsettled conditions, and when a more settled spell is showing, your quickly back on to state how short lived its going to be! Now your making reference to July being as bad as 2012,when infact it's only 8 days into the month. Your basically writing off 3 weeks on the back of the GFS 6z..you must drive yourself mad with all this on a daily basis. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MATT☀️ said:

What is it with your infatuation of GFS, every run is showing a completely different forecast and can not be trusted at all. The EC weeklies are much more promising as is the Met update, and tbh the EC46 as been pretty acurate so far this summer.. What I can't understand is you moan about these unsettled conditions, and when a more settled spell is showing, your quickly back on to state how short lived its going to be! Now your making reference to July being as bad as 2012,when infact it's only 8 days into the month. Your basically writing off 3 weeks on the back of the GFS 6z..you must drive yourself mad with all this on a daily basis. 

Wrong.....when did I say this July was going to be as bad as 2012? I said its likely to be the poorest since 2012 unless there is a big last ten days which given the output from all the models looking through the next ten days is a completely fair statement to make, so don't twist my words. As for the GFS piece and as with all the models they consistently touted a increasingly decent week for next week for several days indicating the decent chance of a decent warmer period (not heatwave) which was well backed by most of the ensemble sites, we are down to couple of averages days now, basically the weekend. Pick the bones out of it is you will but you only need to look at how this week has panned out to realise that being cautious to pessimistic clearly is the sensible choice this summer.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Wrong.....when did I say this July was going to be as bad as 2012? I said its likely to be the poorest since 2012 unless there is a big last ten days which given the output from all the models looking through the next ten days is a completely fair statement to make, so don't twist my words. As for the GFS piece and as with all the models they consistently touted a increasingly decent week for next week for several days indicating the decent chance of a decent warmer period (not heatwave) which was well backed by most of the ensemble sites, we are down to couple of averages days now, basically the weekend. Pick the bones out of it is you will but you only need to look at how this week has panned out to realise that being cautious to pessimistic clearly is the sensible choice this summer.....

My point was after just 8 days into a new month your saying the month is highly likely to be poor!! There is nothing constructive about that at all. Personally I would have said if things don't change soon, we could be looking at a poor month! If the GFS 6z would have been a good run, you wouldn't even have made that statement in the first place. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Are you talking about Bournemouth? I'm running 1.7°C below my minima average for July.

No I meant specifically these few days, maxes probably 18/19C mins 15-17C. 

Posted

Raining or drizzling for 30 hours non-stop now. Much of it that horrible soaking drizzle that doesn't look heavy till you go out in it. And the temp has been between 12-14C the whole time. Late October or July?

Charts showing high pressure Sat-Sun, even a couple of days of 20-21 and sunshine will be a huge improvement on what we have seen this month so far.

• Like 1

Posted

Well the inevitable downgrade has happened again. This has been the running theme of UK weather in the Global Warming era. Once a pattern change happens it doesn't shift for months on end. The models understandably want to shift the pattern in the mid-tern as patterns being stuck for 3-6 months wasn't a thing before global warming, yet there is a variable they keep missing and as this projected pattern shift comes into the short-term, it disappears.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, while the weather might look like being nothing out-of-ordinary (no three-month-long heatwave on the horizon:oldrolleyes:) the neverending litany of one-run knee-jerk reactions never ceases to entertain... Better than having your face slapped with a sweaty sock, I suppose!:oldlaugh:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
3 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

I have the last week of July and first week of August off and staying on the emerald isle for the duration.

The persistent West to East airflow has me worrying it's not going to be good.

staticmap?center=34.66375789%2C-77.14647
WWW.GOOGLE.CO.UK

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

This place?

Posted
5 hours ago, markyo said:

Woke to a bedroom at 14c....Heaven! And thats with only one fan on!

You deliberately cool your bedroom to 14c!?  Are you a polar bear? ❄️☃️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Seems lately we either get dull and damp without the wind or drier, sunnier but windy. We seem unable to get dry and sunny weather without the wind at the moment. 

Posted

I think its now time to call Summer 2020.

With the latest model downgrade i think we can confidently say Summer 2020 will be summarised as follows:

SE England SW England South Midlands

Average with some brief warmer spells. 

Midlands and Wales 

Poor summer overall with above

average number of wet dull spells. 

Scotland N England N Ireland 

Well below average temperatures and above average rainfall. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

another crappy day here today..been raining heavily since 4pm yesterday and looks like no let up for the rest of today either..had similar weather last week with 3 days of non stop heavy rain..still hoping for drier warmer conditions from mid July on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

the outlook doesnt look "poor" to me

610day.03.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

air con is set to 16c. Just can't stand a warm bedroom! It would be impossible for me to sleep in a room over 20c. For me summer months are hell for sleeping,also blinking expensive!!!!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Not much confidence for next week's outcome from the Met Office either in the 10 day trend, indicating a fine balance between a LP ending up in Iceland, or over Northern England.

Posted
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I can't sleep if the temperature goes over 10'c in the bedroom

I have the windows wide open all winter, and even if it's only just above freezing in the room, it makes me sleep like a baby

I just have lots of blankets.   Also, you wake up straight away in the morning after throwing the covers back on a frosty morning....highly invigorating

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Not a fan of warmth for sleeping either. Anything above 15C is usually an irritant.

Past week or so has been wonderful for sleeping though. 

• Like 3

Posted

First week of July and my current average daytime maximum temperature (taken from the nearest weather station about 5 miles away)  is currently standing at just 15.3°C. The minimum nighttime temperature is currently standing at 11.3°C, leaving me with a mean average of a more than pathetic 13.3°C. I’ve also had 67.6 mm of rainfall (already) and only a few hours of sunshine. 

Absolutely atrocious and the worst July I’ve ever experienced, (yes, maybe even worse than 2012), it’s going to take a terrific turnaround to revive this summer.

Today while it’s stayed dry has been completely overcast and it’s still cool, if a bit warmer than yesterday. 

The weather is like a permanent autumn these days, we rarely get much snow anymore and the summers are getting worse, waste of time being a weather enthusiast in this country.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Whilst it hasn't been ideal, the conditions here aren't really that bad. June's rainfall was below my own average, and July's is well below average at the moment, just 5.8mm.

June just gone has been warmer, drier and sunnier than last June. 

I'm happy with heat, but there's been nothing here of note to make me whinge (apart from maybe a thunderstorm)

All good!

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
43 minutes ago, markyo said:

air con is set to 16c. Just can't stand a warm bedroom! It would be impossible for me to sleep in a room over 20c. For me summer months are hell for sleeping,also blinking expensive!!!!

18 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I can't sleep if the temperature goes over 10'c in the bedroom

I have the windows wide open all winter, and even if it's only just above freezing in the room, it makes me sleep like a baby

I just have lots of blankets.   Also, you wake up straight away in the morning after throwing the covers back on a frosty morning....highly invigorating

16 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Not a fan of warmth for sleeping either. Anything above 15C is usually an irritant.

Past week or so has been wonderful for sleeping though. 

Can’t believe so many people like their bedroom at such cold temperatures! I’d be getting hypothermia! Anything below 18°C and I’m freezing! Since the heatwave I’ve gone back to having a light duvet on the bed and haven’t been able to wear shorts or a t-shirt inside or outside because it’s been too bloody damp and cold! Hoodies and onesies in full swing!

I didn’t have too many problems sleeping during the summer of 2018 and I don’t even have a fan or aircon. I just sleep with no top on and a very light blanket in hot weather and that’s fine for me. If it gets really hot I might sleep with the window open but that is rare.

My house does suffer from damp and high humidity levels (70%) which does tend to make it feel colder though, and I live in a bungalow and so my bedroom is on the ground floor so isn’t as warm as other houses.