Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
55 minutes ago, B87 said:

At the moment it's been fairly similar to summer 2019, but it was about this time last year that summer settled down, with most days in the mid 20s until early September.

Forecast looks like it'll be average to warm and dry over the next 2 weeks. A repeat of last summer wouldn't be bad, if it could be a bit sunnier (July and August both averaged over 25c here).

Though saying that, we will probably have to wait another 15 years to get a warm August, seeing as we had 2 in the last 2 years. Still waiting for a hot August though.

At the rate of Global Warming its highly unlikely we will have to wait 15 years for another Hot August, but increasingly likely we will be waiting 15 years for another hard cold snap, as much as that pains me to say. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
15 minutes ago, MATT☀️ said:

At the rate of Global Warming its highly unlikely we will have to wait 15 years for another Hot August, but increasingly likely we will be waiting 15 years for another hard cold snap, as much as that pains me to say. 

I had extreme cold snaps for the time of year in 2010 (January and December), 2013 (March) and 2018 (March). The last hot August was in 2003.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

Had to wear a proper coat on my lunchbreak today. Even as someone who hates hot weather, this is too chilly for me.

certainly feels like autumn when sun goes in

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
22 minutes ago, B87 said:

I had extreme cold snaps for the time of year in 2010 (January and December), 2013 (March) and 2018 (March). The last hot August was in 2003.

I get your point but if you follow the trend back to the early 80s they are pretty slim on the ground. I'm confused as to why so many recent August's have been poor, perhaps we are due a run of good ones. Who knows the seasons at times seem to be completely out of sync. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
4 hours ago, Nick L said:

Had to wear a proper coat on my lunchbreak today. Even as someone who hates hot weather, this is too chilly for me.

It is a bit cool for July, though feeling pleasant in the sunshine and definitely feels a lot warmer than recent days. Currently 16C and mostly sunny with a brisk north westerly here. Probably perfect summer weather for Markyo though, bet he's got his shorts and t-shirt on today.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
50 minutes ago, MATT☀️ said:

I get your point but if you follow the trend back to the early 80s they are pretty slim on the ground. I'm confused as to why so many recent August's have been poor, perhaps we are due a run of good ones. Who knows the seasons at times seem to be completely out of sync. 

The answer here is not that recent August's have been historically poor (bar a handful) but that 83-04 period especially inflated the average. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

It actually did feel a bit cooler to summer this afternoon as the breeze finally dropped. It’s a start I guess :pardon:

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

While bad I think some are OTT, it's a bit early to call July akin to 07, 11, 12 and June was better than last year (people forget that the first 20 days were comparable to 07).

I don't remember July 2011 being too bad, a bit cool and showery perhaps, but otherwise quite a benign month with some nice sunny days. Summer 2011 was just a very benign summer IIRC.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

It actually did feel a bit cooler to summer this afternoon as the breeze finally dropped. It’s a start I guess :pardon:

Of course I meant CLOSER to summer. It certainly wasn't cooler today, for a change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

The answer here is not that recent August's have been historically poor (bar a handful) but that 83-04 period especially inflated the average. 

I've been thinking this for ages yes - the 1990s were by far the hottest decade for augusts. The augusts since 2004 have been very normal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
25 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

I've been thinking this for ages yes - the 1990s were by far the hottest decade for augusts. The augusts since 2004 have been very normal

The Augusts from 1998-2005 were very normal, excluding 1999 and 2003. All had averages around 23c/14c.

August has been much better from 2013-present, than it was from 2006-2012 (it was absolutely dire then), but still not great. August here should be pretty much indentical to July, just with shorter days.

Edited by B87

Posted
55 minutes ago, B87 said:

The Augusts from 1998-2005 were very normal, excluding 1999 and 2003. All had averages around 23c/14c.

August has been much better from 2013-present, than it was from 2006-2012 (it was absolutely dire then), but still not great. August here should be pretty much indentical to July, just with shorter days.

Temperature wise Augusts here since 2013 have been around or a bit above average but not especially so. However, they have been very cloudy affairs and also wet, poor summer months overall.

• Like 1

Posted

Mid point of summer now coming into view in the semi-reliable, and if the synoptics being shown by the models verifies, then the first half of Summer 2020 will go down as a very episodic and mixed one indeed.

Temperature wise a bit above average but masking a fair bit of variety with a brief hot shot to start June, notable cooler spell, then a notable hot spell before the end of the month only to go cool again, before returning average at mid July point.

Rainfall wise above average, notably so in some places

Sunshine wise below average.

Overall wet, dull and temps a bit above average - not a great first half to summer then, despite the shortlived hot spell.

I went for best conditions to come in first half of summer.. oh dear.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I went for best conditions to come in first half of summer.. oh dear.. 

I hope that doesn’t still prove to be correct...

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I hope that doesn’t still prove to be correct...

If it does I'd better get my winter clothes back out :oldlaugh:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

I’m going for a mainly unsettled July in the UK/NW Europe but with conditions improving markedly late in the month. Then a very warm, dry and sunny August, apart from the BH weekend, of course, which will see flash flooding  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

MetO West Midlands forecast for today, timestamped 4 am: "A dry and bright start across the region with sunny spells, although the odd isolated shower is possible. Showery rain will move in from the west in the afternoon..."

Actual weather here in Worcs: near-constant rain from around 8:30 am. Maybe there was a dry and bright spell at sunrise, but it sure as heck isn't anything like the forecast now... sigh.

Its another dire summers day in north Wales and north west England, only 10-13C at lunchtime. We've got another 3 or 4 generally poor days to get through before things start to brighten up for us all. Most places in the south stuck at 15-18C for most of tomorrow under patchy rain and drizzle. Hopefully the HP building in the through the weekend can give us a reasonably lengthy settled spell. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Another awful Atlantic day, definitely best of summer was late March until 2 June, today okay if it was March

Posted

Some oranges definitely starting to appear on some of the foliage when out walking earlier - and not the citrus kind!

Posted

Sunny today but guess what? It’s windy again  

Posted

Tempreature in Birmingham right now is 13C. 

8C below average. Here where I am in Essex its around 21C, but will drop to 18C later in the week, 5C below average. Minima in single figures at around 8-9C. Went out in a coat yesterday. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Sunny today but guess what? It’s windy again  

Lucky you. 13°C and jaffa cakesing it down here.

EDIT - Lol typed "Swearing AGAINing it down" but it changed to Jaffa cakesing it down.

Edit: Lol is someone editing my posts???

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
9 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Lucky you. 13°C and jaffa cakesing it down here.

EDIT - Lol typed "Swearing AGAINing it down" but it changed to Jaffa cakesing it down.

Edit: Lol is someone editing my posts???

Nope just the swear filter ! Profanities are not needed on a science based forum !

Posted
1 minute ago, Badgers01 said:

Nope just the swear filter ! Profanities are not needed on a science based forum !

Not exactly offensive though is it? Just an everyday phrase.