Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
6 minutes ago, B87 said:

Summers where June and July were awful, with August the best month.

1998, 2000, 2002, 2007, 2012.

None of those years had a good August, they improved to average. In 2007 it was still bad, just less so than June or July.

August 2012 is the only one I remember from that list. Pretty sure that was a warm, summery month, with a couple of days reaching 30C (I lived in the south-east at the time). I think most would have called that a good month? Add to that a warm and sunny opening week in September.

Edited by Relativistic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
56 minutes ago, Don said:

I think I could manage!  At least you get copious amounts of daylight in the summer, although you certainly pay for that during the winter!  

Plus you get away from the rat race...I should think quality of life isn't bad and certainly more chance of snow than down here!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
14 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Plus you get away from the rat race...I should think quality of life isn't bad and certainly more chance of snow than down here!

Exactly, quality of life is very high, higher chance of snow in the winter months, midnight twilight May-July, a rich history and culture, interesting landscapes to explore, etc.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
8 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

August 2012 is the only one I remember from that list. Pretty sure that was a warm, summery month, with a couple of days reaching 30C (I lived in the south-east at the time). I think most would have called that a good month? Add to that a warm and sunny opening week in September.

Temperatures and rainfall were about average in London in August 2012. The warmest day reached 30.5c, but a day or 2 of 30c is to be expected in August.

September 2012 was nice, but not enough to offset the 'summer' weather in June and July. The grass was still lush green into August that year.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

There's a lot to moan about at the moment hence the thread, quite a windy spell coming up,but things will settle down again soon and we can get back to moaning about how dry and hot and humid it is.

Posted
7 minutes ago, thunderpants said:

There's a lot to moan about at the moment hence the thread, quite a windy spell coming up,but things will settle down again soon and we can get back to moaning about how dry and hot and humid it is.

This year?

Seriously though, its all guess work more than 2 weeks out.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

The wind has actually dropped a bit here although it’s still breezy and that’s only temporary before it ramps up again later. Oh and it’s only 16°C 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Overcast with drizzle every day, gale force winds, no light, freezing cold temps 5 degrees below the forecast every day, summer is dead.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, B87 said:
1 hour ago, Don said:

I think I could manage!  At least you get copious amounts of daylight in the summer, although you certainly pay for that during the winter!  

Though it is incredibly cloudy and wet. Only 1100 hours of sun per year and 202 rain days, giving over 1200mm.

All that summer daylight is pointless when its cloudy for 90% of the time. A bit like here at the moment. Cloudy June and an almost sunless July so far, the long days have been wasted this year, which makes this kind of weather even more annoying at this time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Unpopular opinion... I don't mind the current weather! 

The warmer weather will come back eventually so i'm enjoying the current setup. And it's still reaching 20-21°C everyday here so it's not exactly freezing cold.

• Like 6

Posted

Dry and cloudy while warm is usable, but it’s still disappointing when it persists for a number of days. I don’t mind it for a couple of days, but hoping for a week or two or sunny warm spells, which really lift the mood.

But, the dry cloudy warm set up is the lesser of two evils when compared to rainy cool days in summer. Last week was a bit like that.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Unpopular opinion... I don't mind the current weather! 

The warmer weather will come back eventually so i'm enjoying the current setup. And it's still reaching 20-21°C everyday here so it's not exactly freezing cold.

That's because you live in London. If you lived up here you would think very differently I'm sure...

The forecast in London looks pretty good compared to most other parts of the country.

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for London.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Relativistic said:

I certainly don't remember August 2012 being a nice month here in the north west. I just remember it being very cloudy, very damp and miserable. It was around the time when the Olympics were being held and I don't remember any nice weather. I also went to the Isle of Man for a week and I just remember it being very overcast and damp.

Posted
2 hours ago, B87 said:

Lerwick just feels like year-round November. How do people live there?

Exactly what I was thinking. I think I'd go insane if I lived somewhere where there was virtually no warm and sunny weather. Their record temperature I think is 23C. I bet people need the heating on all year round up there.

Posted

The worst thing about this persistent damp weather is that it's also making my house damp. 79% humidity in the bedroom this morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Iv'e said before i'd rather 30.c and low humidity than low 20's and high humidity, it can be quite draining for some of us old sods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Not a fan of heat really but it is getting a bit depressing seeing thick cloud all day (every day) & drizzly rain currently falling. But some sun wouldn't go amiss.Tomorrow looking a bit better in that prospect. Hallelujah.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted

I know it's not ideal weather for people at moment but the sunny may/june with some good spells of rain in some parts of East Anglia and other parts, will bring on the crops which is good news for our farmers and other growers.

Posted
48 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Not a fan of heat really but it is getting a bit depressing seeing thick cloud all day (every day) & drizzly rain currently falling. But some sun wouldn't go amiss.Tomorrow looking a bit better in that prospect. Hallelujah.

Yep. Hopefully the wind will blow all the horrible thick cloud and dampness away.

• Like 1

Posted

This was a time lapse of yesterdays weather in Manchester. Absolutely diabolical for July!

• Like 1

Posted

The only good thing about this weather is hopefully it will put some folk off going to the pubs.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, thunderpants said:

Iv'e said before i'd rather 30.c and low humidity than low 20's and high humidity, it can be quite draining for some of us old sods.

Agreed. Flew from Denver to London last July i.e. a dry 32C to a cloudy, humid 22C. The London weather felt pretty unpleasant by comparison.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I certainly don't remember August 2012 being a nice month here in the north west. I just remember it being very cloudy, very damp and miserable. It was around the time when the Olympics were being held and I don't remember any nice weather. I also went to the Isle of Man for a week and I just remember it being very overcast and damp.

Indeed, classic example of the south-east getting decent weather while the rest of the country gets wind, rain, and suppressed temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just been for a walk and guess what... windy with drizzle :olddb:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Well, what a lovely update from the MetO this afternoon for my region. The previous one had several days of dry weather. Now? Every single day for at least the next week has at least some rain. I just want a reliably dry 2-3 days. Is that too much to ask from summer anymore?