Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Another horrible day, April and May normally the best, upto June 2nd this year, yes a few good days late June, but Atlantic weather arrived 3 June

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Another annoying breezy windy spell to add to the many we've had this Spring/Summer...feeling quite humid out there as well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
17 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:
og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for Lerwick.

However bad it might be in your location right now,  spare a thought for these poor guys up in the Shetland Isles… Weather is like autumn/winter there all year round. Don’t know how people can cope living up there. I’m barely coping myself with the weather down here.

Anyone on the forum from northern Scotland, the Shetland Iles or the Hebrides?

House hunting in the Shetlands Isles may be on my new year to do list!....at last my perfect climate But seriously even i can truthfully say this is not Summer weather,folk putting their heating on in July!. Kids looking forward to a summer getaway if they can? Not great by anybodies standards.

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Lerwick just feels like year-round November. How do people live there?

• Like 1

Posted

Mid July after that Friday low clears is last chance saloon for this summer. What an utter disgrace, only in the UK.

Posted
13 minutes ago, B87 said:

I think I could manage!  At least you get copious amounts of daylight in the summer, although you certainly pay for that during the winter!  

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Don said:

I think I could manage!  At least you get copious amounts of daylight in the summer, although you certainly pay for that during the winter!  

Though it is incredibly cloudy and wet. Only 1100 hours of sun per year and 202 rain days, giving over 1200mm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
9 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Mid July after that Friday low clears is last chance saloon for this summer. What an utter disgrace, only in the UK.

How can you say that so early in the season! We had a fab April and May, and its been followed by a mixed June and potentially a mixed July to come.. Surely we have a chance of a decent August for once, even September.. Mind you I can understand folks getting annoyed by that scenario due to the decreasing daylight hours etc. But I feel with all the talk of a warming world and hotter than normal months we are now beginning to expect these conditions on a more frequent basis, and it does feel like an eternity since that gr8 spell of May... Did that have a knock on affect for the Summer! It's possible. 

Edited by MATT☀️
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, MATT☀️ said:

How can you say that so early in the season! We had a fab April and May, and its been followed by a mixed June and potentially a mixed July to come.. Surely we have a chance of a decent August for once, even September.. Mind you I can understand folks getting annoyed by that scenario due to the decreasing daylight hours etc. But I feel with all the talk of a warming world and hotter than normal months we are now beginning to expect these conditions on a more frequent basis, and it does feel like an eternity since that gr8 spell of May... Did that have a knock on affect for the Summer! It's possible. 

So early in the season? We are over a month in and I can count on one hand the number of dry, warm sunny days we have had. No day will meet that criteria up to at least mid month too. The "good" spell early next week will be 4 degrees below average. So in 45 days of summer we will have had 5 dry, warm and sunny days. Pathetic. We are sleepwalking through summer saying it's still early wait a couple of weeks and before we know it, it will be September.

Also as for April and May, that was payback for a disgraceful winter. So up to the start of summer we were even in terms of fortune for the year. After this summer disgrace we are owed something big again.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, MATT☀️ said:

How can you say that so early in the season! We had a fab April and May, and its been followed by a mixed June and potentially a mixed July to come.. Surely we have a chance of a decent August for once, even September.

Every summer has a chance of a decent August, but it never happens these days. The best we can get is something like 2016. Something has happened to August since 2006, where the majority are cool and cloudy. 

Between 1998-2005, we had 1 great August (2003), 1 poor August (1999), 6 average Augusts (the rest). Why can't we have a run like that again?

Since 2006, I have had no great Augusts, 4 decent ones (2013, 2016, 2018, 2019), 2 average (2009, 2012), 8 bad (2006-08, 2010-11, 2014-15, 2017).

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, B87 said:

Though it is incredibly cloudy and wet. Only 1100 hours of sun per year and 202 rain days, giving over 1200mm.

Very true, that might get a bit much!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
16 minutes ago, B87 said:

Every summer has a chance of a decent August, but it never happens these days. The best we can get is something like 2016. Something has happened to August since 2006, where the majority are cool and cloudy. 

Between 1998-2005, we had 1 great August (2003), 1 poor August (1999), 6 average Augusts (the rest). Why can't we have a run like that again?

Since 2006, I have had no great Augusts, 4 decent ones (2013, 2016, 2018, 2019), 2 average (2009, 2012), 8 bad (2006-08, 2010-11, 2014-15, 2017).

Augusts not dominated by the Atlantic last 20 years or so, very rare, usually dominates whole month, hot spells likely short lived plumes before next system powers in

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I don’t subscribe to the ‘we had a good spring so why are we moaning about summer’ attitude. That’s a very limiting belief. 

April and May were a bonus. It’s now summer when I’d expect those conditions much more than spring, yet here we are with days of cloud, rain and wind. The long draw of isobars our into the Atlantic looks more like autumn. This summer has a LOOONG way to go and a lot to catch up on. The current weather makes June look good lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Knew this thread would be fun today unlike the weather!

• Like 5

Unless there is a dramatic turn around in the second half of July, which off course there always can be I think its probably fair to say this month is probably heading towards the poor to mediocre category. If that's the case I'd love to see the how many good Augusts standout on their following distinctly poor to average June & July's...can't be many...….

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
54 minutes ago, B87 said:

I'd be curious to spend a year there. Lots more to Shetland than just the weather.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Unless there is a dramatic turn around in the second half of July, which off course there always can be I think its probably fair to say this month is probably heading towards the poor to mediocre category. If that's the case I'd love to see the how many good Augusts standout on their following distinctly poor to average June & July's...can't be many...….

Yes but there's been many a good summer with an average August that followed. Look at 2018... A fab June and July before August became average at best. I still think August will buck the trend this year and be our best summer month by far.. I stand to be shot down in flames by this prediction though... I said after Summer 95 those type of summers will become more frequent.. Ie... Every few years, and only had to wait 23 year for the next one...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Prefer higher temps with less humidity than what we have now here, 17.3c and muggy, and that wind coming can do one my roses have suffered enough.!!

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Depends where you live I suppose, the SE often still gets away with it.

• Like 1

Posted

we need to lockdown again , if we want warm sunny weather , it was pretty obvious once lockdown eased the weather would know about it   , and be its usuall  b****d self ,  that warm and sunny spring all wasted 

Posted

Summers where June and July were awful, with August the best month.

1998, 2000, 2002, 2007, 2012.

None of those years had a good August, they improved to average. In 2007 it was still bad, just less so than June or July.

1991, 1997 and 2016 are examples where June was terrible, July was average, but August was decent or good.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
13 minutes ago, Alderc said:

It could happen. This year is the first time a poor June has followed a good May since I started recording the weather so all to play for.

2020 is a year of bucking the trend so far.

Edited by MP-R
Spelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

It’s quite telling when this threads the busiest thread on the forum at the moment. 

• Like 3