Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Temps in my local forecast first half of July look horrifically bad. Definitely will be a poor summer overall if that happens.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

question? what constitutes a poor summer?..and when was the last one in the UK?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
11 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

For most people, cool and wet so probably 2015.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
34 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Well that depends on the individual's preferences. For me, a poor summer is one whereby the temperature is below average in two or more months, and/or two or more months are wetter than average and/or two or more months are cloudier than average. However, for some people, a poor summer might be very sunny and above average temperatures. If July here is cooler than average, then it will be a poor summer by my standards, as it would follow a June that was both wetter and cloudier than average.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Could this be an early indication of a much colder winter ahead? We’ve been here before though, and summer 2019 had some poor days of summer weather.

Wish I knew lol, but I guess the UK is due a colder winter soon? Wasn’t a winter to speak of here, it’d be very unusual to get another snowless one so I’m expecting something colder but with the climate changing, again who knows?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

2015, 2016, 2017 all had a lot of poor weather.

2012 probably the last shambolic summer across the entire country.

My average summer index is 289, so lets say anything +/- 10 is good or poor, then every summer in the 2007-2012 period, 2015 and 2016 would be classed as poor. 

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

June has been poor

Not really just an average month with a bit of everything thrown in...we had a poor 7/8 days a couple of weeks ago but we've had just as many warm sunny days as poor ones. Some rain with the odd cold day, a T-Storm (here) a few very warm days, breezy windy days, some sun...normal British fayre I'd say for June, and certainly not as bad as last year.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Olympic summer 2012...consistently unsettled through June and most of July which strangely let up in time for the games and then became more unsettled again.

Posted

i was living in the UK for the summers of 14-15-16..apart from June 16 which was poor i wouldn't class the overall summers of those years as poor at all...were it not for the indifferent Aug of 14 then that would have been a very good summer

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Not really just an average month with a bit of everything thrown in...we had a poor 7/8 days a couple of weeks ago but we've had just as many warm sunny days as poor ones. Some rain with the odd cold day, a T-Storm (here) a few very warm days, breezy windy days, some sun...normal British fayre I'd say for June, and certainly not as bad as last year.

June averages down here have been skewed only the 1st, 2nd, 24th & 25th reached 25C, only a couple of other 21C days here. Also 5-6Days have accounted for about 45% of sunshine, the period 3rd through 22nd really was poor with few decent days. With the outlook remaining almost permanently below average temp wise (we should be at 22C now) down here for most of the next 10days we could be relying on a warm August to save summer, not something I'd bet on......

Just some stats for July since 2013, so for the last 7 July's Heathrow is averaging 25.4C, even Bournemouth is averaging 23.6C which just above the LTA for Heathrow so we have certainly been spoiled and there's certainly been almost annual notable July heatwaves, lucks got to run out at some point......although you could say the reverse about August...... 

Posted

A cloudy summer.... is always disappointing dry or wet. 

• Like 2

Posted
3500.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Such deadly heat may become regular occurrence later this century, scientists find

That's not actually as bad as I thought. I thought it could be a yearly occurence in the worst case scenario, not every 3.5 years, and even then they acknowledge the worst case scenario is highly unlikely.

Interesting though that they say London may have the climate of Istanbul. Wasn't they saying last year London would have the climate of Barcelona? Pretty sure istanbul and barcelona have more rain than London and Istanbul is far colder than Barcelona in winter and autumn

Posted

2017 probably, as it started off well, but went downhill after those mid July storms and never fully recovered, apart from the late August bank holiday. 2015, and 16 weren’t great either. I remember quite a few days like the current weather in the summer months in London.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i was living in the UK for the summers of 14-15-16..apart from June 16 which was poor i wouldn't class the overall summers of those years as poor at all...were it not for the indifferent Aug of 14 then that would have been a very good summer

I would only class 2014 as a decent summer, but 16 did have some decent weather in the school summer holidays. It just seemed to take time to get going.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

A cloudy summer.... is always disappointing dry or wet. 

Yes, and a cloudy summer is a poor one, even if temps are warmer than average.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, and a cloudy summer is a poor one, even if temps are warmer than average.

i don't mind a cloudy summer as long as its dry..in my book that would be an ok summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

For those of you using Microsoft Edge, highlight the text of one of the posts complaining about the weather, right click, click "read aloud selection" then go to "voice options" and select "Microsoft Mia Online (English - United Kingdom)" and then play it back.

Sounds like the most British thing ever!

Posted
7 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i don't mind a cloudy summer as long as its dry..in my book that would be an ok summer

I know what you mean. It’s still usable, but the lack of sun can make it feel less summery. 1986 had that kind of weather, especially August. Maybe I have my dates mixed up, but I do recall a very dull and humid weekend during August 1986, and a thunderstorm during the night on a Sunday. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Summers 2016, 2017 and July 2015 and June 2019 were all pretty poor here. 

I would personally class a summer as poor if it's either raining most days or too cold to wear shorts and/or a t-shirt on a lot of days. Or if I barely see the sun at all for days on end. Like at the moment.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

For me personally, it would be a persistently chilly and damp one with more than a very few days like yesterday was in my neck of the woods: 15 °C with light rain on and off all day and strong, gusty winds. Probably 1-2 mm of rainfall in total, but there was never once a time when I could go out for an hour's walk and know I'd stay dry. It was a very, very poor day indeed for late June.

I'd say there have been only two truly disastrous summers in my area this century: 2007 and 2012. Quite a few other summers were underwhelming (most of those between those two disasters!) but at least they were useable with more days like today (18 °C and cloudy but light winds).

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Temps in my local forecast first half of July look horrifically bad. Definitely will be a poor summer overall if that happens.

Yep, looks more like mid-September temps than early July! 

Posted
25 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Well here in my part of London the most (Greenwich) sun I get on average is ~185 hours in August the average is rather poor so a cloudy month is always bad in my opinion. It’s easier for you to like a cloudier summer in Alberta.... don’t you get 300 hours? For most of U.K. away from south coast a cloudy month is not what you want.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

17°C at Heathrow, that’s pretty crap for the end of June.

Bit warmer and sunnier here in Prague but it’s blowing a hoolie and damaging some of my plants, which is highly annoying! F off wind in summer, vile

Looks pretty hot weather in Prague for the next week, certainly by UK standards anyway. Guess that's just normal weather for continental Europe though.

WWW.BING.COM

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Well here in my part of London the most (Greenwich) sun I get on average is ~185 hours in August the average is rather poor so a cloudy month is always bad in my opinion. It’s easier for you to like a cloudier summer in Alberta.... don’t you get 300 hours? For most of U.K. away from south coast a cloudy month is not what you want.

Agree. Amazing how much a bit of sunshine can boost the mood. Especially when it's been cloudy/wet for a few days. Finally stopped raining here in Lancashire today but still cool and cloudy, forecast high today only 15C and still very cloudy at the moment. Better than yesterday is all that can really be said about it!

• Like 1