Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Slept lovely, woke up to the bedroom at 17ºC. I really needed the sleep!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
14 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Indeed. When you scroll through the years of weather history for London (Heathrow) it's pretty rare for them to have a max temp below 20 during the entirety of July & August. Up here in NW England that just isn't the case. If we had what London has every year we would call that an amazing Summer. But that's just normal to Londoners.

I remember in July 2018 the daytime max temp barely went below 20C. That very rarely happens here though, so what we had in July 2018 would have probably just been classed as a normal July for them.

What's more amazing though is that so many Londoners complain that there summer isn't good enough, despite them having an average high of 23/24c in July/August and only around 50 mm of rain per month. These people have probably never gone further north than Birmingham and only had holidays in the med. I bet these people would be shocked and appalled by the weather if they were to experience a summer up here.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

Slept lovely, woke up to the bedroom at 17ºC. I really needed the sleep!

Still 21c in mine, but I live in damp house so the same temp tends to feel colder. Put my onesie back on but it feels much more comfortable compared to the 25c and 70% humidity I had to put up with on Friday!

Posted
17 hours ago, Azazel said:

Nippy out there this evening and blowing a gale. Is this a named storm?

No, just an area of low pressure.

Posted
3 hours ago, Snowycat said:

What is it with the weather across the UK these days.  It is either trying to drown us, burn us to a crisp or blown us away completely.  Perhaps someone with a better memory can say whether we used to have such windy weather during summer months.  I know we have had windy spells during the last couple of summers as I have distinct memories of tying the beans to fences or any other structure to anchor them down but I don’t recall windy summers during the 80’s, 90’s and 00’s.  Is my memory faulty?  I too am glad the excessive heat has left us but this wind is also doing my head in.  The weather patterns seem so extreme at the moment, whatever happened to a nice gentle benign UK summers day.

I agree completely, it's gone from near 30C and full sun and a light breeze, to about 14C, windy and intermittent rain in less than 48 hours. Similar thing happened after the heatwave in late July last year. There's no happy medium these days.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
10 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I remember in July 2018 the daytime max temp barely went below 20C. That very rarely happens here though, so what we had in July 2018 would have probably just been classed as a normal July for them.

What's more amazing though is that so many Londoners complain that there summer isn't good enough, despite them having an average high of 23/24c in July/August and only around 50 mm of rain per month. These people have probably never gone further north than Birmingham and only had holidays in the med. I bet these people would be shocked and appalled by the weather if they were to experience a summer up here.

Aye , having lived in both Skipton and Horsham, I know exactly what you mean. However, I can tell you, some of the winters down south are so mundane with nothingness , not even a frost or a snowflake to be seen. At least living close to the Pennines, even during the last few appalling mild winters , a snowflake is to be had !  

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
43 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

An average summer in London is closer to what you'd get in Paris than Birmingham.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

You get storms in summer and snow in winter though. Here in Hampshire we rarely get either. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Just been for a lovely long walk in the North Wessex downs, and actually really enjoyed the weather despite getting a couple of soakings. Not many people will be enjoying this weather at high summer, but it kind of makes you feel alive again after the oppressiveness (particularly at night) of last week. It's a nice refreshing mix of powerful sunshine, showers and a strong breeze, and you've still got the bonus of the 9.20pm sunsets, so it's not all that bad right now to me, all in all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

This!

Personally i'd hate to have the south east climate up here, 20C is high enough for me, 25C + just becomes uncomfortable especially when you're at work.

We maybe only get about 25 - 30 days a year where the temp reaches 20C here and it never exceeds 30C.That's a more comfortable summer for many, well if you discount the other 25 - 30 days during the summer where it's dull, raining and 15C.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

You get storms in summer and snow in winter though. Here in Hampshire we rarely get either. 

I've certainly noticed why they say the coastline round here is one of the driest pasts of the country since I've lived here.

Posted
3 hours ago, Lance M said:

Just been for a lovely long walk in the North Wessex downs, and actually really enjoyed the weather despite getting a couple of soakings. Not many people will be enjoying this weather at high summer, but it kind of makes you feel alive again after the oppressiveness (particularly at night) of last week. It's a nice refreshing mix of powerful sunshine, showers and a strong breeze, and you've still got the bonus of the 9.20pm sunsets, so it's not all that bad right now to me, all in all.

Yeah I understand that, even as a heat fan.  

I think that’s why I liked summer 2018, despite it being hot and sunny, we did have a few cooler interludes, which lasted for 3-4 days in the low 20s or high teens, before it warmed up again. The only downside sometimes, was the cooler conditions took place on a weekend.

It does clean up the air though. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Ross90 said:

This!

Personally i'd hate to have the south east climate up here, 20C is high enough for me, 25C + just becomes uncomfortable especially when you're at work.

We maybe only get about 25 - 30 days a year where the temp reaches 20C here and it never exceeds 30C.That's a more comfortable summer for many, well if you discount the other 25 - 30 days during the summer where it's dull, raining and 15C.  

I think 25-30c feels slightly different when you move away from the big cities. I notice how different 30c was in 2018, when we headed down to eastbourne, and although London was 30c, eastbourne was closer to 26c, with a cool east wind, which took the edge off. Nice and refreshing, but it was almost too cold to enter the sea for a dip, and yet my friends were boiling in London.

This was the weekend when Spain were knocked out by Russia in a Penalty shoot out during the World Cup.

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

Not really. We don't get many storms up here any more, and the snow during the last two winters was very minimal. Wet snow for a hour or two and that was it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

I get about 100 days per year of 20c+, of which 30 days are 25c+, and 4 or 5 days 30c+.

Edited by B87

Posted
3 hours ago, Ross90 said:

This!

Ideally, I'd love a summer where it was sunny and 20-23C most days, with just the odd rainy/cloudy day and thunderstorm here and there to keep things interesting. Maybe 1 or 2 30C days in July, followed by a massive evening thunderstorm.

• Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I've certainly noticed why they say the coastline round here is one of the driest pasts of the country since I've lived here.

Looks like a beautiful area with some stunning coastline, that first photo was taken in November as well!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Barton+on+Sea/@50.7365929,-1.6632839,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipO1U9HSl9EG6fv9igQjcJWBVwaQ0-O-yDxuneVe!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipO1U9HSl9EG6fv9igQjcJWBVwaQ0-O-yDxuneVe%3Dw203-h152-k-no!7i4032!8i3024!4m5!3m4!1s0x48738342cddb713d:0xcd18e5636f3fcae6!8m2!3d50.7365929!4d-1.6632839

Wish I lived there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yep, utterly clueless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Having lived in Cambridge for 30 years, and York for the other 5 of my life.....I don’t think I’d cope living up north

Its just what you get brought up with and are used to though. For me the weather in the UK is so dull and bang average for much of the year, if I didn’t get a summer too like much of the north of the country I’d go mad!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
9 hours ago, Snowycat said:

What is it with the weather across the UK these days.  It is either trying to drown us, burn us to a crisp or blown us away completely.  Perhaps someone with a better memory can say whether we used to have such windy weather during summer months.  I know we have had windy spells during the last couple of summers as I have distinct memories of tying the beans to fences or any other structure to anchor them down but I don’t recall windy summers during the 80’s, 90’s and 00’s.  Is my memory faulty?  I too am glad the excessive heat has left us but this wind is also doing my head in.  The weather patterns seem so extreme at the moment, whatever happened to a nice gentle benign UK summers day.

If you look through the CET records you find a lot of examples of rapid temperature swings, especially in the 1800s.

• Thanks 1

Posted

And to the weather models.... some say they are right and some say they are wrong.

Easy answer to this: if a model shows what you don't wont its wrong.

Equally if a model shows you what you do want then its right.

14 years on here now, and it still goes on!

Nice to see something that never changes even within a very changing world.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

The satellite imagery emphasises my point with how dry the grass is on there. I think that was taken in 2018 and of course many places looked like that then. The grass is quite dry now but not quite like that. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
16 minutes ago, matt111 said:

The satellite imagery emphasises my point with how dry the grass is on there. I think that was taken in 2018 and of course many places looked like that then. The grass is quite dry now but not quite like that. 

Yes the satellite shows most If not all showers passing to the north of here last few days, grass is still quite brown ish around here but not quite as bad as it has done recently, but a little rain is still better than none I suppose.. as is always the case the areas that don’t want rain get it all and the areas that do want rain don’t get any

Edited by Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Still 21c in mine, but I live in damp house so the same temp tends to feel colder. Put my onesie back on but it feels much more comfortable compared to the 25c and 70% humidity I had to put up with on Friday!

My bedroom has cooled from 31°C on Friday to 25°C tonight - and it feels quite cool! 

Posted

Today feels rather cold after the weather last week. Its currently 14.2C just before 1pm with a brief max earlier of 15.2C. Quite a different feel, especially with the wind.