Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

On one level it's been good to get some work done without the risk of having it ruined by rain,  but on another it's been  physically draining;  the heat just saps your strength.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
28 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

Must admit I have noticed it's not overly humid when compared to the hot days before 25th July last year.

Yes it's not that humid really. Although tomorrow looks more so with instability & chances of thunderstorms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

55 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

It just doesn't have that stuffy feel to it at all. Unlike 6/29 last year which was 30 degrees but felt different than this. Much stuffier. The breeze and low humidity today makes it very tolerable and quite comfortable.

Sorry but I have to disagree. This hot spell has felt much hotter than anything last June could muster.  Yes I remember a hot day last June when it reached 27 or 28°C but indoors it only got up to 22°C. At the moment it’s 26°C in my bedroom with 64% humidity and it feels very hot and stuffy. Yes there has been a breeze today but it’s been a warm breeze.

I guess maybe I’m more affected by the sunshine and ambient temperature rather than humidity. 30°C to me feels boiling hot no matter how low the humidity is.  Or maybe I’m just not properly acclimatised to the heat yet unlike 2018 when I did eventually get more used to it.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes it's not that humid really. Although tomorrow looks more so with instability & chances of thunderstorms.

At least the temperatures will (should) be cooler!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
57 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Sorry but I have to disagree. This hot spell has felt much hotter than anything last June could muster.  Yes I remember a hot day last June when it reached 27 or 28°C but indoors it only got up to 22°C. At the moment it’s 26°C in my bedroom with 64% humidity and it feels very hot and stuffy. Yes there has been a breeze today but it’s been a warm breeze.

I guess maybe I’m more affected by the sunshine and ambient temperature rather than humidity. 30°C to me feels boiling hot no matter how low the humidity is.  Or maybe I’m just not properly acclimatised to the heat yet unlike 2018 when I did eventually get more used to it.

Maybe the hot day last year on 29th didn't make it quite so far north as you. It was a very humid day here on that day and felt very torrid. Today we only had dewpoints about 11 degrees at the sheffield weather station and it was windy. No wind on 29th June last year and could cut the air with a knife. I'm also lucky that I have a NW facing aparment and it hasn't been over 23 degrees in here.

I can find the sun too much as well but in the northern UK not so much. I went to central France last July and even at only 28 degrees it felt awful in the sun, the UV was very high and I was at 450m ASL. Then we had the record where I live on 25th July last year, 36°C. It was actually surprisingly OK, as there was a lot of cloud and the sun wasn't overbearing.

I just went for a walk now, felt quite cool and refreshing, I guess we all feel the temperature differently. having been in the tropics before I think is why as well, this is just like a normal summers day to me.

At least this will be over for people who hate the sun and warm weather, in the next 24 hours or so. We get about 5-6 days of warm weather a year here so I've definitely made the most of it of course if I could go back to the tropics I would. There they had 35 degrees with 30 degree dewpoints. Thankfully noone will experience that here.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Nice day today. Supposedly reached 30 degrees but it felt quite cool in the shade compared to what I expected, because of the rather strong breeze this afternoon. Not even close to hot and with very low humidity it was just a nice day.

That easterly breeze was properly strong, leuchars recording maximum of only 17 while places in the highlands hit 28!

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

weird this time next week, we'll be wanting it warmer

I don’t like heat but I also don’t like cold and wet, esspecially in summer. 20°C with sun/clouds suits me fine.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

BBC Weather forecast for London looks perfect for next week - Highs in the low 20s,  overnight lows in the low to mid teens, a mix of sun and clouds, not much rain, breezy, humidity in the 50’s% by mid afternoon. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743

London has really pleasant weather in a westerly flow,  but unfortunately is susceptible to very high temperatures at times. 

Sadly not as good here, highs in the mid to high teens, breezy, showers or longer spells of rain, not much sun. No happy medium here unfortunately.  I will happily take it over this weeks intense heat though.  At least I can go outside without melting lol.

Posted

I’ve enjoyed every minute of this hot weather since Tuesday, and Monday wasn’t too bad either. 

Granted, it has been too warm during the nights, but that’s the price to pay when we get the hot weather.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ve enjoyed every minute of this hot weather since Tuesday, and Monday wasn’t too bad either. 

Granted, it has been too warm during the nights, but that’s the price to pay when we get the hot weather.

I loathe it. Anything above 25°C is too much for me. In fact, I’ve come up with a new saying “if it’s above 25, don’t go outside”.

Anyway, I find the hot days much more difficult than the hot nights, as you're asleep at night so don't feel anything lol.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m sure most people in London will be happy with the weather next week - highs in the low 20’s, a mix of sun and cloud, low humidity, not much rain, a moderate breeze from the west - perfect conditions as far as I’m concerned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Still 28°C in the bedroom. The downside of summer in London. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Still 28°C in the bedroom. The downside of summer in London. 

Currently 25 in mine but with a nice fresh breeze coming through the window. Ahhhhhhhhh.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, h2005__uk__ said:

Looks like the max today was at Heathrow... but with 33.4C!

Anyone know what the all-time temperature record for June is?

Posted
3 hours ago, Yarrum said:

That easterly breeze was properly strong, leuchars recording maximum of only 17 while places in the highlands hit 28!

Lucky them escaping the heat!

Boulmer in NE England recorded highs today of a pleasant refreshing 18°C with sunshine all day, with mist during the night (though the sun is now strong enough to burn it off very quickly). Humidity was high though around 85-90%, but at such moderate temperatures it shouldnt have been a problem.

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Boulmer 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

On the west coast however, it's a whole different story, highs of 28°C at St Bees with a SE!  Amazing what a difference wind direction makes!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/observations/gctmztzm8

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Storms

This humid weather makes me feel ill, I really struggle to function but always look forward to it breaking down with a good thunderstorm. As that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen here, I’m literally just counting down the hrs now to fresh air tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Azazel said:

Crikey, looks like autumn arrives next week. Time to start thinking about the Christmas shopping.

That's a bit of a overreaction...

I mean we had a few days of temperatures way above average, now we are going to have a few below average. It's a way for the nature to restore balance 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Autumn arriving? Temps look fairly average (22-27c) and it'll be mostly dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Temperatures looking well suppressed next week. With plentiful rain, and if sunshine is lacking, then yes ‘autumnal’ is a very fitting description.

Time for it to change but it’s not looking like typical summer fayre at all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

28°C in the capital at 11am. 1 degree down on yesterday but with higher humidity so it's feeling hot.

Shame about the lack of storms. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Temperatures looking well suppressed next week. With plentiful rain, and if sunshine is lacking, then yes ‘autumnal’ is a very fitting description.

Time for it to change but it’s not looking like typical summer fayre at all!

Forecast maxes here are 18-21c all week. That’s 2-5c below average for July (23c max), so is that is quite suppressed in relation to the norm.  

• Like 1