Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
21 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

I recall 2010, 2011, or 2012 having very few such spells; 2013 and 2014 would have had a few each; 2015 very few; 2016 had a few; 2018 would have had several, at least. I can't comment for 2017 or 2019 

2010 and 2012 had 1 occasion each. 2011 had 3 'heatwaves', though 2013 only had 1 (which contained more 28c+ days than all the heatwaves of 2011 combined).

Having an entire month average above 28c would count for less than having 2 or 3 short warm spells throughout the summer.

Posted
10 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Highs of 32C at Heathrow forecasted. 

Remember 2018 though? We had quite a few days, possibly a week of temps into the mid 20s with highs of 25/26C . Still shy of the almost 30C in 2011 though .

Living in Brentwood a short distance west of Chelmsford, the temperatures here are warmer and I believe last summers heatwave in july, it was warmer out here then in London. I was also in northern Norfolk that summer in August where we had temps in the low 30s , again higher than London . I don't think any max UK temp record has actually been recorded in London

The February, April and May records are from London, as was the July record until last year.

Posted

It's a lot more humid than I expected today. We're currently at 27.0C with a dewpoint of 20.1C.

Quite unpleasant. Bring back the warmth in May when it reached almost 25C but the humidity was 30-40%.

Edited by reef
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just hit 31.9c at Heathrow.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, reef said:

It's a lot more humid than I expected today. We're currently at 27.0C with a dewpoint of 20.1C.

Quite unpleasant. Bring back the warmth in May when it reached almost 25C but the humidity was 30-40%.

That was perfect warmth, it really was. You could enjoy that during the day and evening without it being unpleasant, and then sleep easily at night.

This current heat snap falls into the excessive heat category for me. It's draining.

• Like 4

Posted

Guess it depends on what you like, but for me anyway today is a pretty ideal tempreature. Humidity is not as bad as I feared. We're around 29C, feels like 31 or 32C. Compare to what the BBC was forecasting earlier lats week, 31C feeling like 36C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

The only thing I hate about summer heatwaves is that Heathrow is nearly always warmest. It’s just a bit boring.
I like it in the cooler months when we get a variety of locations UK wide that are warmest. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, mb018538 said:

The only thing I hate about summer heatwaves is that Heathrow is nearly always warmest. It’s just a bit boring.
I like it in the cooler months when we get a variety of locations UK wide that are warmest. 

That's not always true though is it? Highest recorded temp in UK ever is in Cambridge, before that it was Faversham in 2003. I would have thought heathrow might have been cooler because of less planes. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

That's not always true though is it? Highest recorded temp in UK ever is in Cambridge, before that it was Faversham in 2003. I would have thought heathrow might have been cooler because of less planes. 

I did say nearly always!

Heathrow would have beaten the 38.7c here without the cloud last year for sure. I’m more referring to days where the SE is under the same conditions widely, Heathrow always seems to be top. 
I’d be interested to see the percentage?

Edited by mb018538

Posted
4 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Yeah I've often wondered what impact the constant jet engines had on the temperature there. But even with far less traffic, it's still the hottest!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yeah I've often wondered what impact the constant jet engines had on the temperature there. But even with far less traffic, it's still the hottest!

It’s been studied and shown to have no effect. Any heat from jet engines quickly dissipates into the air. You get far more in-natural heat from an urban station in a city from all the stored heat and radiation from buildings etc.

• Like 1

Posted

If Heathrow is always hottest because of the planes, why is it never Birmingham, Manchester, Stansted or any other airport, just Heathrow? Then again it's right next to some of the busiest motorway in the land, and it's downwind of the London heat island in an easterly (but it is often warmest in W'lies too?).

You hardly ever see the yearly maximum outside the SE and E Anglia nowadays, it was common until the 90s. Even if it's 33 in the Midlands or Yorkshire it'll be 34 somewhere in Londonland.

Posted

Kew Gardens has warmer summer highs than Heathrow, on average.

Would be interesting to see what the 81-10 or 91-20 averages are/will be for the UHI of London, but most of the central weather stations have been removed, or are behind a paywall.

Most major cities have their weather stations at airports, because they are less affected by UHI than the more built up parts of the city. 

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Was sat outside in deckchair but had to go in because I just got too hot. Sweating like crazy. There was a slight breeze but not enough to offset the hot sun and high temperature (around 29°C according to my garden thermometer). ☀️

St Bees on the Cumbrian coast is currently only 22°C, but still sunny, perfect conditions for me. Im definitely gonna move to an island or the coast when I'm older. Weather is so much more temperate by the sea.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

I wonder how the ridiculously strong UV will impact transmission of COVID19. I believe UV can basically kill it

I don't think it has much of an effect unfortunately. Spain and the US still have the pandemic and they have much higher UV levels than we do.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I don't think it has much of an effect unfortunately. Spain and the US still have the pandemic and they have much higher UV levels than we do.

I read this earlier, not sure how true it is  

WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK

A new study claims that spending time in the sunshine this week could actually help to reduce your risk of coronavirus

And I do think Australia's climate must hvae had somewhat of an influence as whilst their measures were stronger etc. Oh well. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Earthshine said:

Already 31°C at Heathrow

I know I might be in the minority here, but I would love it if just for once we had a summer where no where managed to reach 30°C in the UK. Can't remember when that last happened. Every summer we get at least 2-3 heatwaves these days.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I know I might be in the minority here, but I would love it if just for once we had a summer where no where managed to reach 30°C in the UK. Can't remember when that last happened. Every summer we get at least 2-3 heatwaves these days.

That just seems extremely unlikely to happen these days. I believe 2007 came close but still just managed 30C. It seems that very high temperatures are now happening every year, even further north. Manchester is likely to reach 30C tomorrow and possibly this afternoon. That will mean that 30C has been reached in Manchester in 6 out of the last 8 summers.

Before 2013 there were plenty of summers that didn't manage it in these parts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Up to 30.6*C at the moment here. Nice with the sunshine, but just a little too hot, hot hot! Although with fairly modest dewpoints of 12*C to 13*C, not exceedingly humid. 

Must admit, can’t remember the last time there was a Summer in this part where temperatures didn’t reach 30*C. Perhaps 2012! 2007 though certainly was quite cool at times and wet. All that wet weather in a way made it interesting, as much as it’s my least favourite weather type during Summer. Warm, sunny weather much more preferable (including thunderstorms). But not necessarily baking hot. Kinda like today. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

To be honest not found today as hard as i was expecting, hot yes but not with that edge of to much humidity. Far more of a breeze than i though would be there which helped. The crux will be tonight for sleeping. Air con max i suspect! Least it will give many the chance for those mid week BBQ's!

Posted

25C at Lands End, that's impressive. So often the far SW just sits in murk and 18C when it's high 20s plus elsewhere. Or sea breezes stop it getting above 21-22 even when it's sunny.

Shawbury currently 28C, maybe still a bit of heating to go (often it's warmest around 5-6pm), notice the dew point is higher round here than in the SE for some reason (15C vs 10-13C). Feels very warm and hardly a cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Kew Gardens has warmer summer highs than Heathrow, on average.

Would be interesting to see what the 81-10 or 91-20 averages are/will be for the UHI of London, but most of the central weather stations have been removed, or are behind a paywall.

Most major cities have their weather stations at airports, because they are less affected by UHI than the more built up parts of the city. 

Trouble with Heathrow its in London..not like most airports in the UK that are generally a few miles away from a city..its is built up to the north south and east and is bounded to the west by the M25 and M4 motorways..you cant compare it to Gatwick or Stansted that are long way out of London

• Like 1