Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Another aspect of the posts of some heat lovers that I find difficult to agree with is when they comment that the summer will be ruined if there are more than couple of wet, cool days or it doesn't hit 35C for at least 3 days in the Lake District or something along similar lines, when such events are rare in the UK.  I'm not saying that, if  that actually happens and you enjoy, it, you shouldn't comment on it, but expecting it seems unrealistic and as though you're inadvertently setting yourself up for disappointment, or, perhaps, that you enjoy complaining!

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
10 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

You may want to add me to your ignore list as I can’t stand motorsports  

We shall have to agree to disagree, I do understand where you’re coming from and that you mean well but I think it’s a waste of time trying to ‘enlighten’ people on here about their weather wishes and preferences. 

My ignore list only contains those whose weather-related posts don't add anything to the discussion or that are obviously intended to provoke a reaction, so you're safe!  I sympathise regarding not liking something that someone else (in this case, me) wants to discuss, as I have tried, and failed on more than one occasion to get into football; sadly, I still find myself rapidly losing interest when I try to follow a match.  It frustrates me as I don't want to seem like one of those pretentious types who feels superior to those around them due to their tastes being rareified and esoteric, but, just as you can't help finding motorsport boring, I can't generate any interest or pleasure in football.  What makes it more confusing is that I enjoy rugby, in particular, union, which is, in the general scheme of things, not dissimilar.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Hoping for a back-loaded summer this year.  Perhaps an average July before a toasty August and September with a CET of 19°C and 17°C respectively.  Wouldn't mind a warm October too with a couple of 27°C+ days.

• Like 2

Posted

As much as I like hot weather, I can understand some of the points these people are making... where I am generally during heatwaves max temps are 7-10c lower than in London, so theoretically 33c means 23-26c where I am, and that can be enough to keep me up sweating at night..

• Like 1

Posted

Funny how the cooling affect of the channel always seems much greater once you get to Devon..

image.thumb.png.f7d7e78e12ad3f837860b5213dd36d63.pngimage.thumb.png.8e88405ebbccde840d7505229373a19a.png

East of Devon, you very quickly find yourself in the high 20's just inland.. but once you reach the Devon boarder, it suddenly it takes longer.  By 7pm just a couple miles inland in Dorset it's over 25C.. but sub-25C air makes it all the way to the north coast in Devon? 

The forecast maps actually show a stronger onshore breeze as you go east.. so this temperature behaviour doesn't really make much sense to me.

nmmukwind.png

Tomorrow as well:
image.thumb.png.4eb08545af0dc7e96e992510dc1729d3.png

Plymouth often ends up being warmer than here even though I'm a few miles inland, as the wind backs easterly there instead of them getting a sea breeze.

It's often the same with warm/hot spells.. a frustrating thing about living here from a meteorological perspective (though a small part of me is glad as I'm working outside). If you like comfortable weather in the low 20's but not hot weather, SE Devon has to be one of the best parts of the country.

At least it shouldn't stop us getting any elevated thunderstorms Thursday night.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

My ignore list only contains those whose weather-related posts don't add anything to the discussion or that are obviously intended to provoke a reaction, so you're safe!  I sympathise regarding not liking something that someone else (in this case, me) wants to discuss, as I have tried, and failed on more than one occasion to get into football; sadly, I still find myself rapidly losing interest when I try to follow a match.  It frustrates me as I don't want to seem like one of those pretentious types who feels superior to those around them due to their tastes being rareified and esoteric, but, just as you can't help finding motorsport boring, I can't generate any interest or pleasure in football.  What makes it more confusing is that I enjoy rugby, in particular, union, which is, in the general scheme of things, not dissimilar.

I agree. Unfortunately, there are a few trolls around that like to garner a reaction and blatantly try to wind others up, but it’s quite easy to spot them. Sometimes they even provide some amusement I wouldn’t lose sleep over it, though. 

Some interesting weather this week, summer heat, possibly some thunderstorms then fast forward to autumn for the weekend. At least it’s not boring!

• Like 1

Posted

Was it summer 2016 or 17 that ended in July? I remember a stormy evening in July and summer never recovered and Autumn started in earnest. Wonder if it’ll be the same story this year but even earlier to punish us for the glorious spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Was it summer 2016 or 17 that ended in July? I remember a stormy evening in July and summer never recovered and Autumn started in earnest. Wonder if it’ll be the same story this year but even earlier to punish us for the glorious spring.

August 2017 was relatively poor but August 2016 was decent (followed by a very warm September where 34.4°C was recorded at Gravesend on the 13th, which was the highest temperature of that year and the hottest September day since 1911).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

First uncomfortable heat of the summer for me, yesterday was borderline but it wasn't too hot to sleep. Thankfully only lasting a couple of days!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

August 2016 I would say was the most decent August since 2003 (at least over here in the Midlands anyway). From what I can remember August 2017 was pretty much like the majority of other Augusts in recent years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

2017 definitely. Summer essentially ended with those spectacular thunderstorms midmonth. Here at least there were a few moments beyond that which were summerlike like the 24th-26th July, the odd day in August and the bank holiday. Overall poor though.

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

First uncomfortable heat of the summer for me, yesterday was borderline but it wasn't too hot to sleep. Thankfully only lasting a couple of days!

Totally agree - I personally don;t get the love-in for hot weather. A comfortable sunny 19 to 22 is perfect. Anything 26/27+ is just too oppressive. Can't say I'm enjoying it, and very much looking forward to the cooler weather Friday onwards, even if it means a bit of the wet stuff.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Wouldn’t worry folks, once the next couple of days are out of the way there’s no heat on the cards for the first week of July anyway. Back to low pressure in charge and a nice arctic high. 

image.thumb.gif.c6ba1b77b8b4728ce7b8637f0a41d451.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Approaching midday and temps in the mid to high 20s. 

Lovely! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
16 hours ago, B87 said:

I prefer the old definition = a heatwave in London is 2 consecutive days of 32c+, with the temp not falling below 18c at night.

3 days of 28c+ results in numerous heatwaves throughout the year. It isn't a particularly noteworthy temperature in summer when the average July high is 24c.

I prefer to go off the official Met office definition of a heat wave, which I believe is three consecutive days with daytime temperatures 30° or higher and three consecutive nights with nighttime temperature not dipping below 15°.  I would guess that would result in 1 to 3 heatwaves a year on average for London.  

Posted
21 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Wouldn’t worry folks, once the next couple of days are out of the way there’s no heat on the cards for the first week of July anyway. Back to low pressure in charge and a nice arctic high. 

image.thumb.gif.c6ba1b77b8b4728ce7b8637f0a41d451.gif

Music to my ears!

• Like 2

Posted
50 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I prefer to go off the official Met office definition of a heat wave, which I believe is three consecutive days with daytime temperatures 30° or higher and three consecutive nights with nighttime temperature not dipping below 15°.  I would guess that would result in 1 to 3 heatwaves a year on average for London.  

Pretty sure the heatwave is regional, so in London its 3 or more consecutive days of 28C+. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, Paul_1978 said:

Totally agree - I personally don;t get the love-in for hot weather. A comfortable sunny 19 to 22 is perfect. Anything 26/27+ is just too oppressive. Can't say I'm enjoying it, and very much looking forward to the cooler weather Friday onwards, even if it means a bit of the wet stuff.

The air conditioning at work today is absolute heaven!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I’ve come up with my own for my location, being 3 consecutive days of:

24C+ in April

26C+ in May

28C+ in June

30C+ in July/August

27C+ in September

I could stretch it into October but only 2011 comes close.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
17 hours ago, B87 said:

I prefer the old definition = a heatwave in London is 2 consecutive days of 32c+, with the temp not falling below 18c at night.

3 days of 28c+ results in numerous heatwaves throughout the year. It isn't a particularly noteworthy temperature in summer when the average July high is 24c.

Have you got a daily data source for this? The MO definition uses 28C as the threshold temperature for London, and I trust them that this is a sensible threshold.

I spent a lot of Summers in Chelmsford -- a tad cooler than London's super-urban climate -- where spells of three days or more of 27C (the MO threshold temperature for Essex) weren't exactly numerous, especially when you bear in mind that a 10-day spell of such temperatures still counts as one heatwave. My memory of weather events stretches back to around 2010: I recall 2010, 2011, or 2012 having very few such spells; 2013 and 2014 would have had a few each; 2015 very few; 2016 had a few; 2018 would have had several, at least. I can't comment for 2017 or 2019 as my time during those seasons was shared between Birmingham, Edinburgh, and the States. On average, though, perhaps 3-4 such events were experienced per year?

Perhaps the London heat island is responsible for more anomalous temperature spikes relative to the local average when hot spells occur.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
37 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Pretty sure the heatwave is regional, so in London its 3 or more consecutive days of 28C+. 

image.thumb.png.97f7ef04982d0ba8dc43e2569a024b89.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The met office have issued a level 3 heatwave alert for East and West Midlands

Current watch level: Level 3 - Heatwave Action

Issued at: 08:41 on Wed 24 Jun 2020

There is a 90 % probability of Heat-Health criteria being met between 0900 on Wednesday and 2100 on Friday in parts of England.

A period of south-easterly winds is going to draw warm air from the continent which, combined with almost uninterrupted sunshine, is going to bring day time temperatures in the low 30s on Wednesday and Thursday, with night time temperatures often remaining in the high teens. Some thundery showers will break out over parts of the southwest overnight on Friday, bringing cooler temperatures. The risk will then transfer north and east across the rest of England during day time on Friday, yet perhaps allowing another hot afternoon in parts of East England and East Midlands.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/?tab=heatHealth&season=normal#?tab=heatHealth

Posted

Highs of 32C at Heathrow forecasted. 

35 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I’ve come up with my own for my location, being 3 consecutive days of:

24C+ in April

26C+ in May

28C+ in June

30C+ in July/August

27C+ in September

I could stretch it into October but only 2011 comes close.

Remember 2018 though? We had quite a few days, possibly a week of temps into the mid 20s with highs of 25/26C . Still shy of the almost 30C in 2011 though .

19 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Have you got a daily data source for this? The MO definition uses 28C as the threshold temperature for London, and I trust them that this is a sensible threshold.

I spent a lot of Summers in Chelmsford -- a tad cooler than London's super-urban climate -- where spells of three days or more of 27C (the MO threshold temperature for Essex) weren't exactly numerous, especially when you bear in mind that a 10-day spell of such temperatures still counts as one heatwave. My memory of weather events stretches back to around 2010: I recall 2010, 2011, or 2012 having very few such spells; 2013 and 2014 would have had a few each; 2015 very few; 2016 had a few; 2018 would have had several, at least. I can't comment for 2017 or 2019 as my time during those seasons was shared between Birmingham, Edinburgh, and the States. On average, though, perhaps 3-4 such events were experienced per year?

Perhaps the London heat island is responsible for more anomalous temperature spikes relative to the local average when hot spells occur.

Living in Brentwood a short distance west of Chelmsford, the temperatures here are warmer and I believe last summers heatwave in july, it was warmer out here then in London. I was also in northern Norfolk that summer in August where we had temps in the low 30s , again higher than London . I don't think any max UK temp record has actually been recorded in London