5 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Do you like BBQs?

Love them! Tend to stay in the shade though!...it is food after all

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Love them! Tend to stay in the shade though!...it is food after all

And would you prefer to have them in winter or summer?

Edited by Zak M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Why is it whenever the weather gets hot we get posters telling us how bad it is basically saying we shouldn’t enjoy it. Everyone has their own preferences in what they like and nothing that’s said in here is going to change that.

Yes extreme heat (if you can call what we’ve got this week extreme) does have its issues but the same could be said for pretty much any extreme weather types do the fact this is a weather forum means there are plenty here who enjoy the extremes. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Either, so long as its dry. I've had them in Austria a few weeks before xmas,magical. Had them on Crete on a beach,high 20's enjoyed just as much.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
Just now, markyo said:

Either, so long as its dry. I've had them in Austria a few weeks before xmas,magical. Had them on Crete on a beach,high 20's enjoyed just as much.  

Fair enough.

Not having a go at you or anything, I was just wondering because I have never known someone to have a BBQ in cold weather before.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, Zak M said:

Fair enough.

Not having a go at you or anything, I was just wondering because I have never known someone to have a BBQ in cold weather before.

Try it,can be like bonefire night but with actual proper food! Fully understand why folk will be bbq this week,just for me the shade would needed. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

A heatwave is a heatwave. 3 days >28°C for London.

What's the point in categorizing weather events otherwise?

I prefer the old definition = a heatwave in London is 2 consecutive days of 32c+, with the temp not falling below 18c at night.

3 days of 28c+ results in numerous heatwaves throughout the year. It isn't a particularly noteworthy temperature in summer when the average July high is 24c.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I used to really detest hot weather. I still hate the stuffy air in closed spaces, that can't be helped though.

Air Con aside (yes I have it at home), I do alot of costume/mascot stuff as a hobby. This hobby has had the effect of raising my tolerance to heat so much I often forget i'm wearing my work fleece in summer. I still need to be careful of migraines in the sun as my glasses are strong. I also work outside or in multi storey carparks all year round.

Posted
7 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

26°C at midday, could see us getting to 29-30°C this afternoon

Model forecast was 28°C

Models were correct. 27.5C max here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

25.8°C max here and it's cooling down quite fast tonight. Certainly not even approaching uncomfortable conditions for me at least. Making the most of the next two days before autumn arrives again.

Posted

Weather looking decidedly blehhh after this brief hot spell.

Definitely going to get on and book a trip to south of France for the end of August in-case summer never really comes back.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 hours ago, matt111 said:

Why is it whenever the weather gets hot we get posters telling us how bad it is basically saying we shouldn’t enjoy it. Everyone has their own preferences in what they like and nothing that’s said in here is going to change that.

Yes extreme heat (if you can call what we’ve got this week extreme) does have its issues but the same could be said for pretty much any extreme weather types do the fact this is a weather forum means there are plenty here who enjoy the extremes. 

I for one have never said that those who enjoy hot weather ought not do so.  There's a difference between making the most of the weather conditions we experience, even if they are harmful to some, and actively wanting such things to happen.  What would we think of a well-known stormchaser in the US if they expressed a desire for an EF5 tornado they're filming to hit a large city because they wanted to get spectacular footage of destruction, without any regard for the likely casualties?  I would wager that most wouldn't hesitate to criticise their selfishness (and I'm not a gambling man), yet droughts and heatwaves, which can be equally dangerous (as the European heatwave of 2003 demonstrated) seem to be regarded differently.  Were an EF5 tornado to hit a large city, I would not criticise a storm chaser for documenting the event, provided they rendered assistance to victims if it was safe for them to do so, and they do not sensationalise the tragic aspect of the situation for pleasure or profit, but that's different to commenting that they want a tornado they're filming to hit a heavily populated area while it's still over farmland.  I'm not directly comparing such a situation to someone expressing a desire for an extreme heatwave, as the immediate consequences of the tornado are more obviously damaging, but the basic concept of understanding that extreme events have adverse consequences and that we ought to be careful what we wish for still applies.

Posted
Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I for one have never said that those who enjoy hot weather ought not do so.  There's a difference between making the most of the weather conditions we experience, even if they are harmful to some, and actively wanting such things to happen.  What would we think of a well-known stormchaser in the US if they expressed a desire for an EF5 tornado they're filming to hit a large city because they wanted to get spectacular footage of destruction, without any regard for the likely casualties?  I would wager that most wouldn't hesitate to criticise their selfishness (and I'm not a gambling man), yet droughts and heatwaves, which can be equally dangerous (as the European heatwave of 2003 demonstrated) seem to be regarded differently.  Were an EF5 tornado to hit a large city, I would not criticise a storm chaser for documenting the event, provided they rendered assistance to victims if it was safe for them to do so, and they do not sensationalise the tragic aspect of the situation for pleasure or profit, but that's different to commenting that they want a tornado they're filming to hit a heavily populated area while it's still over farmland.  I'm not directly comparing such a situation to someone expressing a desire for an extreme heatwave, as the immediate consequences of the tornado are more obviously damaging, but the basic concept of understanding that extreme events have adverse consequences and that we ought to be careful what we wish for still applies.

I get what you’re saying, but would you/do you criticise others on the forum for wanting extreme cold and snow in the winter months with such fervent vigour? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Finally some nice weather here in Prague since yesterday. Plenty of sunny spells and temperatures up to the mid 20’s °C by day. A cooler, wetter blip midweek then warming up again with 5 days of thunderstorms possible. Enjoy the beautiful weather in much of the UK over the next few days, hopefully some thunderstorms on Friday 

Some posters on here really need to give it a rest with the ‘you can’t wish for hot weather in case someone dies’ b****cks, it’s getting so tedious and inane, especially in NW Europe where any summer heat lasting more than a few days is rare.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I get what you’re saying, but would you/do you criticise others on the forum for wanting extreme cold and snow in the winter months with such fervent vigour? 

If the conditions they desired were equally extreme, yes.  I consider an inch of snow that lasts a couple of days to be roughly equivalent to 30C+ for 3-4 days in terms of qualitative comparitive rarity and impact.  Consider, though, that in the past month I have read complaints that 33C isn't hot enough, that 40C+ would be fantastic, and, most extreme of all, there was a post prior to last week's rainfall (which was much needed in eastern England) that the poster wanted there to not be a drop of rain anywhere in the Uk until autumn, which, as this was posted in early June, effectively meant nearly 12 weeks of total drought, which, I suspect, is almost unprecedented in the UK and which, after an extremely dry spring, would cause chaos for nature, agriculture and water supplies.  I would argue that this would equate to a desire for a winter more extreme than that of 1947 or 1963, both of which caused food shortages, hardship and excess deaths.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

If the conditions they desired were equally extreme, yes.  I consider an inch of snow that lasts a couple of days to be roughly equivalent to 30C+ for 3-4 days in terms of qualitative comparitive rarity and impact.  Consider, though, that in the past month I have read complaints that 33C isn't hot enough, that 40C+ would be antastic, and, most extreme of all, there was a post prior to last week's rainfall (which was much needed in eastern England) that the poster wanted there to not be a drop of rain anywhere in the Uk until autumn, which, as this was posted in early June, effectively meant nearly 12 weeks of total drought, which, I suspect, is almost unprecedented in the UK and which, after an extremely dry spring, cause chaos for nature, agriculture and water supplies.  I would argue that this would equate to a desire for a winter more extreme than that of 1947 or 1963, both of which caused food shortages, hardship and excess deaths.

That’s fair - haha the poster in question sounds like me! 

I have to say I don’t think anyone here would wish actual hardship on anyone, but it is a weather forum and I guess we are going to be tempted by extremes. I mean I hate the cold with a passion but if it was a toss up between -10 or a record breaking -25 or something, I would want the -25 to come off sheerly out of curiosity and to witness something historic. I’m sure I would hate every second of it, but I would still be drawn to it. Humans are weird. 

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Some posters on here really need to give it a rest with the ‘you can’t wish for hot weather in case someone dies’ b****cks, it’s getting so tedious and inane, especially in NW Europe where any summer heat lasting more than a few days is rare.

That's just the point, though - I'm not saying that wanting a few days of hot weather is somehow immoral, but there seems to be a syndrome here of "head in sand-itis" where members refuse to accept that extreme events have extreme consequences.  I'm trying to suggest that enjoying some hot weather is fine, but wanting extreme heat or total drought for weeks on end with zero regard for the consequences is selfish.  If we take the idea that we must not criticise someone for wanting extremes in their area of interest, we end up with motorsport fans like me being expected to support the desires of the minority who watch purely on the offchance of seeing a violent, possibly fatal accident, or aviation enthusiasts being expected to condone those who attend airshows wanting to witness a Shoreham-eque plane crash. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
10 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

That's just the point, though - I'm not saying that wanting a few days of hot weather is somehow immoral, but there seems to be a syndrome here of "head in sand-itis" where members refuse to accept that extreme events have extreme consequences.  I'm trying to suggest that enjoying some hot weather is fine, but wanting extreme heat or total drought for weeks on end with zero regard for the consequences is selfish.  If we take the idea that we must not criticise someone for wanting extremes in their area of interest, we end up with motorsport fans like me being expected to support the desires of the minority who watch purely on the offchance of seeing a violent, possibly fatal accident, or aviation enthusiasts being expected to condone those who attend airshows wanting to witness a Shoreham-eque plane crash. 

Agreed, but this a weather forum based in a country that has boring and mundane weather for 95% of the year. It’s doubtful anyone on here wants anyone to suffer and die but weirdo’s exist in all walks of life. The main point you are completely missing though, is that what we all want or wish for has absolutely sod all impact on what the weather will actually do! I’m sure that you’re aware that there’s an ignore function for those posters that irritate you (not used it myself).

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Azazel said:

That’s fair - haha the poster in question sounds like me! 

I have to say I don’t think anyone here would wish actual hardship on anyone, but it is a weather forum and I guess we are going to be tempted by extremes. I mean I hate the cold with a passion but if it was a toss up between -10 or a record breaking -25 or something, I would want the -25 to come off sheerly out of curiosity and to witness something historic. I’m sure I would hate every second of it, but I would still be drawn to it. Humans are weird. 

Don't think it was you, though I honestly can't recall who it actually was!  Don't misunderstand me - I understand the desire to witness remarkable events, and I won't act as though I didn't find the hottest day ever in the region (when Cambridge Botanic Gardens made the headlines) exciting, but I was glad of rain and cooler conditions once that momentous occasion had happened.  I always try to make it clear that I'm not trying to spoil the excitement of something that may not happen again, but my point is that it's different to wanting it to continue for days or weeks when the consequences are only going to get worse.  I think there's an element of "I'm alright, so I don't care" to which we're all to some extent prone - while we don't have a wildfire approaching our house or a standpipe in the street, it's tempting for us to ignore the damage that a lengthy drought would cause, but, once the consequences affect us, we'd soon complain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Top temp 29°C in London 

And it doesn't even feel like a very warm night. Quite comfortable here really..

Let's see what tomorrow brings 

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Try it,can be like bonefire night but with actual proper food! Fully understand why folk will be bbq this week,just for me the shade would needed. 

I’ve been subject to cold summer BBQs, which I don’t tend to enjoy, but make the best of it. 2011 was one of them, and I think 2012 as well. 

Posted

My old neighbours once had a BBQ on a cold day in May (11°C), because it was one of their birthday's. Nobody in the garden looked like they were enjoying it very much... they generally got a bit of food on their plate then scurried off inside to eat it in comfort.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Agreed, but this a weather forum based in a country that has boring and mundane weather for 95% of the year. It’s doubtful anyone on here wants anyone to suffer and die but weirdo’s exist in all walks of life. The main point you are completely missing though, is that what we all want or wish for has absolutely sod all impact on what the weather will actually do! Plus there’s an ignore function for this posters that irritate you (not used it myself).

I have quite a lengthy ignore list - you, however, are not on it!  I'm not sure that the "it rarely happens, so wanting it to verify is OK" argument really works, TBQH.  Using my comparison to motorsport, the fact that most forms of motorsport these days are vastly safer than in 'the old days' doesn't reduce the tragedy of a fatality - if anything, it seems worse.  I was fortunately not watching the Formula 2 round at Spa last August, but, had I been, I'd have been more shocked and saddened by the violent accident that killed one driver and badly injured another than if such events were commonplace, as they were before my time.  It had a profound effect on the sport and raised questions as to whether the part of the circuit on which it happened, which is as iconic and spectacular a part of any circuit as you'll find anywhere, ought to be modified.

Posted
12 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I have quite a lengthy ignore list - you, however, are not on it!  I'm not sure that the "it rarely happens, so wanting it to verify is OK" argument really works, TBQH.  Using my comparison to motorsport, the fact that most forms of motorsport these days are vastly safer than in 'the old days' doesn't reduce the tragedy of a fatality - if anything, it seems worse.  I was fortunately not watching the Formula 2 round at Spa last August, but, had I been, I'd have been more shocked and saddened by the violent accident that killed one driver and badly injured another than if such events were commonplace, as they were before my time.  It had a profound effect on the sport and raised questions as to whether the part of the circuit on which it happened, which is as iconic and spectacular a part of any circuit as you'll find anywhere, ought to be modified.

You may want to add me to your ignore list as I can’t stand motorsports  

We shall have to agree to disagree, I do understand where you’re coming from and that you mean well but I think it’s a waste of time trying to ‘enlighten’ people on here about their weather wishes and preferences. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Agreed, but this a weather forum based in a country that has boring and mundane weather for 95% of the year. It’s doubtful anyone on here wants anyone to suffer and die but weirdo’s exist in all walks of life. The main point you are completely missing though, is that what we all want or wish for has absolutely sod all impact on what the weather will actually do! I’m sure that you’re aware that there’s an ignore function for those posters that irritate you (not used it myself).

I'm guilty of having a very surfeited ignore list - cold rampers in the winter mostly - the model output thread for me basically consists of reams of invisible posts in winter.

• Like 1