Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

If heat-seekers report temperatures lower than they were expecting next week, no doubt some will say "oh well, 24/25/26C is still useable".

This is the equivalent of snow being forecast in the winter, then it's actually 7C and dry... and someone says "oh well, 7C and dry is still useable".

Edited by h2005__uk__

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I'm not a a gambler, but just out of interest..

If you have a free £100 introductory bookies bet of odds of 5/1 on 40C being reached in the UK by Aug 31 2025. Or odds of 5/1 on it not being reached by that date which bet would you take?

(You wouldn't be paid out, either way until that date.)

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
Edited rules of bet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Regarding the 40°C debate. IMO it's not in the fantasy realm anymore.

I was in NW London on the 25th July last year, it was 35°C around noon and 37°C around 1-2pm. Then it clouded over, limiting several more hours of further heating. 

It reached 42°C in Paris that day and 40-41°C across the channel. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

I was in NW London on the 25th July last year, it was 35°C around noon and 37°C around 1-2pm. Then it clouded over, limiting several more hours of further heating. 

I'm sure it's happened before, just before they measured temperature by modern standards. When the Romans grew grapes in Yorkshire, no rain fell for 3 years according to the Anglo Saxon Chronicle, sophisticated observatories in what are now some of the cloudiest places around- certainly wouldn't rule it out. Just like -30C was probably done in one of the "cold eras". In the modern age it might have happened somewhere without a weather station (Cheltenham is in the Cotswolds - How hot was it down below by the Severn in 1990? That hot day in 1808 sounds like a possibility as well). Those satellite measurement that detect temperatures remotely, I wonder why they can record in Britain.

And when Britain was still joined to the continent but after the ice age had finished, who knows? That "climatic optimum" in the early Holocene, warmer than today and no sea to cool 40C air from the east.

Edited by Summer of 95
  • Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

If Siberia can get up to 37C then we must be able to get 40C. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Tonight is going to be the last comfortable night for several days sadly,

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

If Siberia can get up to 37C then we must be able to get 40C. 

Siberia is 1000s of miles away from any sea, it’s not quite the same 

Posted

Lovely blue skies to start the day with here. Life is more enjoyable (for most) with sunshine and blue skies. 

I think the max temp this week will be 32°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

I reckon 32.3°C on Thursday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Some serious Heat building in Southern Spain.. Some areas pushing 40c by early afternoon. 

2020-06-22-12-35-11.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The met office has issued a level 2 heatwave alert for all of England

Current watch level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 12:08 on Mon 22 Jun 2020

There is a 80% probability of Heat-Health criteria being met between 0900 on Wednesday and 2100 on Friday.

Temperatures are expected to climb significantly this week, with good confidence for a period of hot weather between Wednesday and Friday. Temperatures exceeding 30 Celsius are expected quite widely, especially in central, southern and east England, although most coasts will be less hot. Fine, sunny conditions on Wednesday, just the chance of isolated thunderstorms in the far north. Thursday similar, but a greater risk of thunderstorms breaking out in parts of the north and west later.

Friday may see a more general risk of thunderstorms across England. A transition back to fresher, more changeable weather currently looks likely over next weekend, although there is uncertainty in the detail at present.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/?tab=heatHealth&season=normal#?tab=heatHealth

Posted

Widespread high to very high UV levels this week. ☀️

uv8.thumb.png.754b3ca5451a771830d54cc57135e558.png

UV 9 in the SW on Tuesday & Wednesday. How common is that? 

The UV index does not exceed 8 in the UK (8 is rare; 7 may occur on exceptional days, mostly in the two weeks towards the end of June). Indices of 9 and 10 are common in the Mediterranean area.

uv9.thumb.png.dcb58140e9a6bcef843bdf7517f552b1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Yes a UV of 9 across Cornwall this week. This one below is for Penzance. Can't recall this happening before? Or if it has it's got to be extremely rare. Because even Cornwall is pretty far north compared to the Mediterranean.

Screenshot_20200622-150229-796.thumb.png.d6bf1fae928d53ffced13e072c702ce6.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

The met office has issued a level 2 heatwave alert for all of England

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/?tab=heatHealth&season=normal#?tab=heatHealth

spacer.png

Fake news - there are no downsides to heatwaves according to Netweather members!

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 2

Posted

Might I seriously ask those Netweather members who are seemingly turned-on by extreme heat - do you somehow manage to sleep unimpeded in hot, humid conditions, or do you actually enjoy the experience? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
4 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Might I seriously ask those Netweather members who are seemingly turned-on by extreme heat - do you somehow manage to sleep unimpeded in hot, humid conditions, or do you actually enjoy the experience? 

Yep! I can easily manage that.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Yep! I can easily manage that.

Do you have air conditioning?  It's impractical for us as I'm disabled and the only place we could put an air conditioning unit is full of wheelchairs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Do you have air conditioning?  It's impractical for us as I'm disabled and the only place we coud fot an air aconditioning unit is full of wheelchairs.

Yeah. I do see how sleeping can be difficult for people without air conditioning though.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Zak M said:

Yeah. I do see how sleeping can be difficult for people without air conditioning though.

We've got a modern fan this year at least.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lack of sleep is by far the issue with hot weather. I work in very hot and humid conditions all year round so have some tolerance during the day. It's at night that without the benefit of aircon i certainly would struggle after 10hrs in 35c plus plus high humidity at work sleep is  vital what ever the time of year is. I understand how some love the 30c temps or find enjoyment in looking for the first of the year,its a weather site after all but for many like myself this time of year can bring conditions which make life so much harder and unpleasant. Yes its only for 5 to 6 days this time but those 5 to 6 days without proper sleep can feel so much longer. In Winter even if you hate the weather sleep is not a issue.

Edited by markyo

Posted
19 minutes ago, markyo said:

Lack of sleep is by far the issue with hot weather. I work in very hot and humid conditions all year round so have some tolerance during the day. It's at night that without the benefit of aircon i certainly would struggle after 10hrs in 35c plus plus high humidity at work sleep it's  vital what ever the time of year is. I understand how some love the 30c temps or find enjoyment in looking for the first of the year,its a weather site after all but for many like myself this time of year can bring conditions which make life so much harder and unpleasant. Yes its only for 5 to 6 days this time but those 5 to 6 days without proper sleep can feel so much longer. In Winter even if you hate the weather sleep is not a issue.

I do think you're onto something regarding working conditions; I wonder how many of those who sneer at you for not appreciating really hot weather are desk pilots in air-conditioned offices?  I did a research Masters for a year in a new building at UEA with fantastic air conditioning, though this was for a year July 2007 and July 2008, which, of course, was a period that saw two cool summers, but there were some warm/hot days, and I noticed how much 'brighter' I felt during the day than I had a few years earlier in an old lab during my third year research as an Undergraduate during the winter but with the heating turned up higher than it needed to be.

• Like 1